camping in S Aust

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:22
ThreadID: 67942 Views:3065 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a condition that requires a toilet and my husband has a sore shoulder(cant dig)
Can anyone suggest somewhere in SA, that we can go camping with a toilet nearby?
We used to go to Chowilla GR and Hattah (no water in lake) with a shovel and a Thunderbox.
Regards Nari
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:28

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:28
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 360002

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:33

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:33
Nari,

Have you considered purchasing a Porta Potti??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360004

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:36

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:36
Hello Nari,
Porta potties are relatively inexpensive and a good alternative to having to dig. You can use liquid chemicals, napi-san or tablets in the porta-potti. I prefer tablets, the tablets are called Odour-B-Gone. If you use the tablets, you can dispose of "the end result" down the toilet or a dump site. If you use the chemicals, you must use an approved dump site to empty the porta potti. This will give you the freedom to camp in your favourite places and not restricted to sites with facilities.
all the best.

Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360005

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:32

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 16:32
The only thing with the Porta Pottis is that they obviously need emptying.
Now I wonder if they might be too heavy to carry if your husband has a sore shoulder.
Might be an idea to test carrying one that has the appropriate amount of water in it before you buy one.

Most National Parks in SA have toilets in the campgrounds.
In most cases you can choose how close you park to them.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360017

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:24
Nari,

How about a camping trip to the Flinders Ranges.
Most camp sites have eco-friendly toilet facilities.

Brachina Gorge for instance has many camp sites spread thoughout the area and each camp site (large enough for a few tents, campers, etc) is serviced by one or two "long drop" toilets that are one of the best designs I have experienced.

These toilets have a down draft effect which extracts odours and expels it through a chimney type vent.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360038

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:44

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:44
Hi Nari
If you are familiar with Chowilla Game Reserve, you would have driven past the front gate for Calperum Station. They have some perfect bush camping locations on the banks of the backwaters, with eco toilets, just what you want.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360069

Follow Up By: nari - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:58

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:58
Hi Stephen,

We do like it at Chowilla. Exactly where is Calperum Station? My husband has seen the sign somewhere? What can you tell us about it?

I think my husband knows you & your family from Clare, when he was a kid. ( bout 40 yrs ago!) He is John Jamieson and they had the Esso in Clare then...

Regards Nari
FollowupID: 628008

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:24

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:24
Hi Nari
You do not know what this means to me. I can not believe what I am reading. I often think of what happened to John and his parents Boyd and Betty?? Please give him and them my very, very best regards. Would love to catch up again, this is so unreal!! Where are you living now??

As to Calperum Station, take the Wentworth Road from Renmark up Ral Ral Avenue. As you pass the Rammed Earth infromation signs on your left hand side heading out, you will start the dirst road. About 1 kilometre up the road on your right hand side you will see the Calperum Station Sign. Follow this road up for just under 1 kilometre and you will come to the office. There are some very unreal places where you will have the area to yourself.

Again, I can not believe that this great site can get people in contact after all these years

My Very Best Regards

Stephen and Still Living in ClareImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628011

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:54

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:54
Hi Nari
Depends on whether you want bush or desert. Free camps, national parks or caravan parks. Mambrey creek has flushing toilets but still national park with a bush feel (national park fees apply). Easy to moderate walks and lovely bush. Farina ruins a bit further away but still a flushing dunny and a donkey shower (honesty box with a fee). Flinders Ranges a must see if you haven't and also Arkaroola. Are you near a tourist info centre. S A have really good free booklets on each different area with camping spots and facilities. Or you can ring them and they can send them out to you. They are a good starting point. There are lots of places mentioned in the "places" section on this website with all info regarding toilets how far, interesting things to do etc. Happy planning. Hope you find somewhere. regards, Sally
AnswerID: 360073

Sponsored Links