Save the Kimberley - Just watched 60min and we are in SHOCK

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:47
ThreadID: 70040 Views:5158 Replies:21 FollowUps:38
This Thread has been Archived
Just finished watching an article on 60 minutes. Save the Kimberley... The shortfall of it all is the WA govt is planning to sell out to the Woodside mining company the go ahead for mining gas 400km offshore and build a pipe line to a location 60km nth of Broome to process the gas there, then ship it OS. The location my friends in James Price Point. If any of you have ever been to this part of the coastline you will know that there is no other place where you can see the blue ocean, the pristine white sand, and the vivid red coastline.
Is this going to be the beginning of the raping of the Kimberley region? Once the door is opened how can you ever stop it?
Everyone who reads this website and has ever been to or wanted to go to the Kimberley need to act now and pass this onto all your friends.
How can Billions of Dollars ever replace the Kimberley of this great land???
The GREED factor is trying to strike again & where has it got the world in the past 12mths.
After all There IS no Place like the KIMBERLEY.

For those who are passionate go to:
www.savethekimberley.com.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:07

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:07
Curlyman.

It's all about money on one realy cares about saveing the kimberley

AnswerID: 371241

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:17

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:17
At a town meeting with Bob Baldwin MP I asked if the Federal Govt. going to do anything about the migration of the Cane Toad from Qld going into the Kakadu NP and beyond, I was laughed at by all and sundry and I felt humiliated, this was back in 2004.

Today, I read how the Cane Toad has not only gone past Kakadu but is now enroaching into WA and south to Alice Springs.
I don't feel smug, but I wish some pollies would listen to the little people who can see further than a million bucks
AnswerID: 371243

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:52

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:52
Gday,
They are still along way from Alice........your right though, they are moving fast.
FollowupID: 639068

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:22

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:22
What an absolute load of rubbish....the areas of the Kimberly that they showed on tv are nowhere near where the proposed plant will be...this country is very rich in natural resources which are far in abundance of what we will ever need and if we do not sell it to the countries that do not have it they will / could ,come and take it anyway , the plant will be a mere pinprick on the coastline and all the eco studies will no doubt be done , and the protesters will try to hold it up and add to the cost of building it...jobs and income for the country are being created and we have people who do not like that....amazing
AnswerID: 371246

Reply By: Joondalupgerry - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:36

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:36
I have no problem with this issue or site.I do not understand your statement.."If you have ever been to this part of the coastline you will know there is no other place where you can see the blue ocean, the pristine white sand and the vivid red coastline"..I have seen 100's upon 100s of kilometres of Kimberley coastline similar to James Price Point. I see your message as "shock horror" and unrealistic. The gas has to come ashore, WA needs the jobs and employment and development opportunities...its a multi billion dollar development and will benefit WA workers and families for years.Can you please explain your comment..." Once the door is opened how can you ever stop it?"..what else do you know is in the pipeline...is the whole coastline in danger of development...I have visited and holidayed in the Kimberley and plan to return next year..I do not think this development will impinge on the public and apart from a relatively small localized and isolated area...will be irrelevant to most of us.I look forward to enjoying the Kimberley as I have always done and even working up there and assisting in the development of WA's assets.
AnswerID: 371248

Follow Up By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:20

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:20
I was a resident of Great Lakes Shire in NSW, when a coal mine was approved at Stroud Road and the big mine at Gloucester. We were told both by Company and Council that what they were mining at the time, that was it.

Now in 2009, both Companies wish to expand their original leases, I have been told by my nephew who works for Rio Tinto that the whole valley running from Gloucester to Twelve Mile Creek contains the biggest coal deposits in NSW, when I heard that I pulled up stakes and moved to taree hinterland

and now I am watching as the residents of Gloucester are fighting to save their town from the mining Companies. I uphold the rights of employment but not at the expense of families and farmers trying to work of living.

Please note that the coal company at Stroud Road, their waste water flows into Mammy Johnston creek which is Strouds water supply, poison the water, the town dies.

Once the door is opened, you can never trust Councils or Govt.

Money talks.........big time, the coal companies have not improved any infrastructure of both towns like they promised, no parks or gardens, swings for kids................absolutely nothing, after gouging out millions of dollars of coal
FollowupID: 638540

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:29
Spot On bugger,Dont let the bastards get one foot in the door !

I say Bugger off !
FollowupID: 638564

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:37

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:37
Media has never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
AnswerID: 371249

Follow Up By: DaveNQ1 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:48

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:48
My thoughts exactly.
FollowupID: 638606

Reply By: westskip - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:43

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:43
As a general rule I find that the "Current Affairs Programmes" put out by the commercial stations seem to be mainly concerned with sensationalism. As someone who has both lived in and been visiting the Kimberley since 1963 I am appalled by this reporting. The gas plant will only utilise a very small portion of the coast line available - in fact I don't think that it could be quoted as a percentage (too small). Surely to goodness tourism, wild nature and industry can co-exist together in this vast section of Australia without being whipped into a sensational media frenzy.

John
AnswerID: 371251

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:06

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:06
Hi Westskip, yes, sensationalism is the go, depends on who's reporting. On a different subject to the thread, I saw 2 different reports of an incident involving a footballer (Fittler, if you follow rugby league). First report said he was in his shorts, shirt missing, the second report said he was half naked.
Depends on what they want you to think.
In the Newcastle/Hunter Valley area, we have huge open cut coal mines, highly respected vineyards, golf course/resort places, heavy industry, busy commercial/industrial port, great beaches, Lake Macquarie, and of course, Stockton Beach with the famous sand dunes, and many more places, all working hand in hand together. As long as the ecological effects are taken into account, and the area safeguarded, I can't see the problem in a well considered development. Then again, nobody saw Chernobyl coming either....
Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 638536

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:49

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:49
Yeah might be a very small part of the coast, but it plays a very large part within the eco system. Its also a very heavily visited and popular site. Keep it in the Pilbara. Broome will still be the supply hub so heaps of jobs will be created for locals, there is no room left in Broome for anymore people, and it will only force the prices even more through the roof. Who wants to pay $800,000 for a 4 bedroom tin house? Not bloody me. We live here, i believe we know whats best. More to life then money.
FollowupID: 638578

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 23:04

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 23:04
Well guys, we can't have it both ways. If we want to own and drive our vehicles around the Kimberley and elsewhere in Oz then we have to accept that energy in the form of LPG and Natural Gas are going to be needed to manufacture them.

This processing plant really will occupy a minute area of real estate in a locality frequented by very few. And yes, I have been to this part of the coastline and I have also been to other locations where there is "blue ocean, pristine white sand, and vivid red coastline". Indeed, the Kimberley is possibly more at risk from tourists than from this proposed development.

As for "Once the door is opened how can you ever stop it? " The door was opened a couple of hundred years ago with European colonization of this great land. Are we to all pack-up and leave?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371263

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35
Well said Allan. There are so many people that complain about development, power stations, etc. but they still want to drive their car, fill it up with fuel, switch on the TV and A/C when they get home, etc....
FollowupID: 638574

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 00:49

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 00:49
I,too just finished watching the "60seconds(minutes)" program on the Kimberley.
What a crock of*********.
The majority of the scenery shown was nowhere near the proposed Gas hub site which incidently is only 20sq Km in area. In the scheme of things, it is a tiny paddock in comparison to the rest of that magnificent area.

The time for protest was before the matter was settled but rather the experts at 60 Seconds chose to show areas nowhere near the place in question to beef up a very weak story.

Disco.
AnswerID: 371270

Reply By: Ozboc - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:40

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:40
was it just me or did anyone notice the comment made ---

Host to WA minister- Is this the end for The kimberlies?"

reply - NO its just the beginning for the kimberlies ( or words to that effect)

that's code word for - once we get in mining infrastructure - we will then get in lots more and we will suck the kimberlies dry for all its worth

The financial controller stopped watching it as it upset her , herd he mumble i cant watch this scum bag try to justify destroying a beautiful place like this .....

yes - its just the beginning

Boc
AnswerID: 371276

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:45

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:45
thats was meant to read heard "HER" mumble
FollowupID: 638556

Follow Up By: Bob - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:02

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:02
It's "Kimberly" Boc, name of an area, there is only one.
FollowupID: 638559

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:17

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:17
Thanks for your input "BOB" it was invaluable to this discussion - clearly you NEVER make any mistakes -

congrads for being perfect

Boc
FollowupID: 638560

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:01

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:01
I also watched 60 Mins, I've looked at Google Earth to see the area named in the 'story' to see why they would put any type of building on such nice TALL red cliffs and to my surprise the picture is not the same or even similar.

Yes sensationalism sells, so who was the story told for, when I watched I thought it was not the company building the the Gas plant, indeed it was the PROTESTER and they used a picture of some other much nicer place, just to make it all emotive and gain viewer sympathy.

Can I suggest, IF the picture below is actually the beach where the gas plant will be built then it is a complete lie and totally false reporting by 60 Mins.

Yes, we NEED the Gas plant and it will be built where there are no huge red cliffs, it makes sense to put it on a beach as the Google Maps pic shows it will be.Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 371282

Follow Up By: Curlynan - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:22

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:22
James Price Point
FollowupID: 638569

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:14

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:14
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 638571

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19
Less than 40 minutes!
ABC's Media Watch used to refer to it as "37 Minutes".

FollowupID: 638583

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:48
Mainey,
Could not agree more. The Anti everything mob and the Media never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Exactly the same tactics are used in the anti logging debate down in Tassie by the Media and Bob Browns mates.
Duke
FollowupID: 638657

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:03

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:03
If you have a look on Google earth at the Gas plant that was put in for Darwin to service the Timor Gas fields it barely rates a mention. The only visible part for any of the locals is the jetty which is located on a shallow rocky ground. I remember when boating that area we had to stay well clear because of the rocks and small island that would become visible at low tide. The area was no good for fishing as it was too exposed. I think in this case they have picked a good site.

I would imagine the Kimberley site for a gas plant would also be discrete and have little or no impact on the local environment.

My only wish is that some of the gas be kept for the domestic market and sold at an affordable price or at least at the same price as they give it away to foreign buyers.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371283

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:16

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:16
That's what you are supposed to do - get into shock -'60 Minutes ..... it's what they do'.
AnswerID: 371286

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:19

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:19
Yes, they don't allow the truth to spoil a story

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638563

Reply By: Curlynan - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:20

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:20

Yes the mine site proposed is 3k x 3km which is small / minute on the scale of things, however do we really want to see mines / shipping lanes popping up along the Kimberley Coastline just like it is in the Pilbara?

** what i meant to write in the original post was :
"If any of you have ever been to this part of the coastline you will know that there is no other place LIKE THE KIMBERLEY where you can see the blue ocean, the pristine white sand, and the vivid red coastline."

It will be intersting to go back to James Price Point in the coming years take a photo and decide which is better.

**Along the lines of a song recorded 4 decades ago:
DON'T IT ALWAYS SEEM TO GO, THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT TILL IT'S >>>>>> G O N E>>>>>>>>>>>> $$$$$$$$$$$

AnswerID: 371298

Reply By: bks - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:22

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:22
If you can remember some years ago 60 minutes had another sensational piece on Swans being killed by the dam at the North Park gold mine. I was involved in that at the time and saw the actual transcripts of the interview with the mine manager. In the version that went to air they had edited it so heavily that when he had actually answered no to questions they substituted other answers from other questions where he had actually said yes. It was completely dishonest even to the extent of having a person who worked for them get a job at the mine to take the photos. the photos were then edited to show dozens of birds dead when in fact it was only a couple.
As a result the mine manager a truly decent man resigned.
AnswerID: 371304

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:44

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:44
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 371306

Reply By: bgreeni - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:46

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:46
I have NEVER seen a news article that I knew anything about that was 100% correct. NEVER, and I have been involved a number of times in what were fairly major stories due to my work role.

Therefore I assume that most, if not all, news stories contain, to some degree, inaccuracies. Much of this is because the writers don't understand the issues, but also on many occasions they are looking for the sensational story, and that bears little semblance of the truth.
AnswerID: 371307

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:41

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:41
Hi Curlynan,

These issues really polarise people and as an east coaster I can’t really have a valid opinion other than one that sounds rather selfish. I’ve been to the Kimberley once and I can’t wait to go back and see it again – still so much to see. I also saw the 60 minutes article and came away thinking that I better hurry! Just a couple of observations, I thought about the locals and how it might affect them, there seemed to be a mixed view. I took notice of both sides of the indigenous argument, one there will be $1b ploughed into services by the government/company(?) and the other that said that what they have now will disappear for ever. Really can’t comment of where these people lived or to what extent they were entitled to their view. I dismissed some of the greens they interviewed. It did make me think that there could be a lot of good coming out of the money being offered.

The next consideration was if would be good for the State of WA – certainly the Premier thought so. I couldn’t help but think that he was in too much in a hurry to apply a positive spin but the best he could do on the environmental grounds was that the plant would be producing clean burning gas – no mention of the real estate it occupied. Then I thought well there is a whole lot of dough for the state in royalties and taxes etc but then reality struck me and off course very little will benefit the State as there will be gratuitous government spending if everything runs normally. The other question that popped up is why does it have to be right there? I mean if the pipeline is several hundred kilometre long then why not exit the ocean near Broome or Derby where there is already some infrastructure and where it may not even be noticed.

OK, I thought nationally – a great project for Australia and foreign exchange etc but I started thinking who is Woodside these days anyway, who owns it and where do they direct their profits. I have no idea but if I wasn’t so lazy I could find out and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are not really a dinki di aussie!

I certainly hope that the locals benefit from this project but I have my doubts. I also don’t believe that all will be well or trust the notion of a small real estate footprint. But I suppose it is the price of progress and if the local are happy then who am I to complain. I know it will never be the same and will hurry my plans to have one last look.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 371320

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:40

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:40
Beatit,
Your question".....then why not exit the ocean near Broome or Derby where there is already some infrastructure and where it may not even be noticed."

Do your homework;
The proposed site is around 60km north of Broome, any closer and it would be in people's backyards.
Have you ever been to Derby???

Disco.
FollowupID: 638621

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:21
G'day Disco,

I've been to both places (Broome and Derby) I have fond memories of Derby with a picnic on the warf watching the tide come and go but my point was that such a project will require significant infrastructure including people. My recollection of the road out of Broome to Cape Leveque was that it would be a bit of a trip for commuting. I presume that the notion of a minimal footprint put forward by its proponents seems to overlook the need for a whole lot of changes in the surrounding countryside such as possible road upgrading etc. My understanding is that Darwin has similar facilities so having it in peoples backyard does not seem to be an issue.

I think that from a purely selfish point of view (mine) I would not like it anywhere up there but who am I to say as it is not my backyard. I think that the beneficiaries of this project will be Woodside shareholders, the State coffers and some scraps for the locals (I know $1B is a lot of dough) but the country will loose something more than what these people are telling the community. This is the price of progress.

A short story, I use to live in Badgery's Creek the site of the proposed (now dumped) Sydney second airport. Nobody cared about the fact that we were going to lose our properties until they worked out that there would be a significant buffer required for noise. We complained and got nowhere until the issue became owned by those others affected and I see the same here. The project seems to be far enough away to be out of mind but the truth is it affect evryone with an interest in the Kimberley.

Kind regards

FollowupID: 638687

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:37
PS

Image Could Not Be Found

and

Image Could Not Be Found

Kind regards
FollowupID: 638695

Reply By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:21

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:21
Well hre we go again the bloody do gooders and greenies trying to run the country again ; Please let the people who live up there decide not some tourist that goes up there once a year doing the bush tucker man thing .
I honestly think the only person up there who would be against are
1 Greenies ( because thats what they do WHINGE )
2 people on the dole ( terrorified they will have to get a job )
3 do gooders ( because is fashionable in the coffee shops to try to stop anything
Remember if it wasn't for these 3 groups in Vic a lot more homes would still be around and some lives saved .. Because it was this crowd of misfits that stop the burn off .. Stay in you own back yard and let the people who live there vote and decide .. Not some tourists from the east coast suburbs who only see it once a year and never contribute any thing to the wellfare of these people

Ron
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371325

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:20

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:20
I live in Victoria, and am quite confused about your comment “Stay in you own back yard and let the people who live there vote and decide”, but then chose to make reference to the Victorian bushfires and the role of greenies, people on the dole and (coffee drinking)do-gooders and their role in them.

You’re from NSW
FollowupID: 638598

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:17

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:17
Well that is what I mean . I used that as a reference to show what the ratbags can do, the vote not to back burn in Vic, was done in the ACT. As well as the dope smokin do gooders that live else where .
Let the people of the kimberlys decide for them selves .
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 638613

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:25

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:25
Did you have a vote in the Vic burn off .. No. But the greenies did and also the trendy coffee lounge mob did any way most of them are greenie wierdos any way
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 638614

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:28

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:28
Are we or are we not Australians? It's about time we got rid of the states and planned the running of this place on a national basis. Water, energy, transport, education, the environment and health were once local issues but the overlap between States is now too great for these areas to be decided at local level. Decisions on all these areas have consequences for everyone and need to be decided as part of a national program.
FollowupID: 638616

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:28

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:28
Ron,

Actually I do have a vote.

I live in the Dandenongs and if 3 fires in that week had got out of control I may not be still living there

In the 1970s, planning laws were passed (by those nasty greenies) which limited sub division, and without those, all of the Dandenongs would have been suburban sub divisions with cheek to jowl McMansions. Possibly safe from Bushfires (?), but the image of Puffing Billy chugging through houses made of ticky tacky and having a Devonshire tea at a 7/11 doesn’t thrill me

The Dandenongs could have been made to McMansion Heaven, and with a larger population there would have been more money for the shire to spend on keeping road reserves under control, to cut down all native vegetation, and have enough money and influence to ensure multi lane highways out of the place.

What seems to be coming out of the Royal Commission is that there was insufficient accurate information passed on for people to make a reasonable estimate of the risk and they made incorrect decisions. The issues of the impact of “greenies”, latte sipping do-gooders and people on government benefits has not been addressed at this stage.

We made a choice to live there being aware of the consequences and plan for them (house design, garden planning and planting). The greenies are the least part of my worries; it’s the next door neighbour that is so busy fiddling with his 4WD that he lets the grass grow to knee height before he slashes and leaves the litter to lie on the ground whilst he goes up to Bunyip State Forest for the day.

Actually, I agree with Mfewster, and the States should go the way of the dodo. As Australians we should be concerned for all of the country and the country we leave for our children and their descendents
FollowupID: 638619

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:41

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:41
Nangun 51
Congratulations on the most intelligent post to this whole
thread, You make it hard to answer for or against . But you got my drift on what I posted .
My last post..
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 638622

Follow Up By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 16:28
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 638924

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 17:40
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 638934

Follow Up By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 20:46

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 638986

Follow Up By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 21:07

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 638992

Reply By: Flywest - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:56

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:56
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 371360

Reply By: Lotzi - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 14:39
G'day All

Another great thread, showing a great deal of balance for and against in the Kimberley.

I have been conducting tours and travelling around the area in question for the last 20 years, I don't reckon that there should be any development at all. It is one of the last pristine areas in Australia, once development starts it will only continue to grow, with the long term effects associated with such developments.

I worked in the Wee Waa area on properties when cotton was first being established in the 60's, we are now witnessing the effects of flood irrigation, draining of rivers, rising salt tables and degradation of eco systems not to mention the amount of water taken from the artesian basis by 6in bores with a 3ft head at the outlet working 24/7, or 20in river pumps working 24/7.

Next time you travel through Wilcannia have a look out to the south, once a thriving inland port, gee, that jetty is a long way out of the sand.

And it goes on and on, there is a similarity to save the Kimberley as to the campaign to save the Franklin area in Tasmania. We have at the moment what I would call a last chance to save and enjoy an area that is unique, sure the companies involved will save a fortune on piping gas to James Price Point, but the road works and infistructure involved to service the proposed plant would be more than balanced by establishing said plant in the Derby, Broome area.

One of the great things about this site is that there are so many people from all walks of life, who enjoy getting out in the scrub, just sit back for a minute, think of the time you travelled to the Kimberley, wouldn't it be great to think that your grand kids could take their children to such an unique place.

Have a real good look at the area on google earth and have a big think.

Well that's my two bobs worth.

Cheers all

Lotzi

PS, I know I can't spell or put to words together, thanks.

AnswerID: 371503

Follow Up By: Curlynan - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 17:33

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 17:33
Well put Lotzi.

We too have been fortunate enough to spend quite a bit of time enjoying many parts of the Kimberley over the past 20+ years and yes I would love to think that our 6 year old grandson will, in his time be able to enjoy it as well (basically untouched).
That is why I put this post up.
Yes it is a very healthy forum here and of course both sides of the coin are aired out. That's democracy. Love iinstigating debates, people grow and learn from them.....
***I also read the following on another site yesterday. Can't verify if any of it is true or substantial, so as people have quoted on this post, may well be a load of CR*P!! Lets Hope So........

A post on Lonely planet:
Large-scale industrial proposals appear to be in the advanced planning stages for the Kimberley or are moving toward development. These include:

1. The establishment of two bauxite mines in the North Kimberley
One mine is proposed at Mt Leeming near Kalumburu and one on the Mitchell Plateau. These will include new power stations, airstrips, construction camps and permanent communities, high voltage powerlines, bitumen roads and other accompanying infrastructure.
2. The establishment of two major Port facilities
One proposed facility is at or near Port Warrender on Admiralty Gulf on the Mitchell Plateau and one at Deep Bay near Kalumburu in Napier Broome Bay. These will require the dredging of major shipping channels and turning basins and the construction of wharves, ship loaders and conveyer facilities.
3. An alumina smelter
Proposed sites for this include the Mitchell Plateau, two sites near Broome and Point Torment near Derby. This will require significant water resources and is contingent upon the development of onshore gas processing facilities.
4. A 200,000 tonne per year zinc mine at Admiral Bay south of Broome
Admiral Bay is thought to contain the world's largest undeveloped zinc deposit.
5. Iron ore mining
The establishment of an iron ore mine at Irvine Island in the Buccaneer Archipelago near Cockatoo and Koolan Islands. This appears not to be contingent upon onshore gas.

A zinc smelter is also considered to be a realistic possibility for Admiral Bay south of Broome, once the zinc mine is operational. This is contingent upon onshore

would be a shame...
FollowupID: 638767

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 17:58
Wonder who or where they have been "proposed" to ??

If they are in fact "proposed" they will have to be approved by the State Government departments, it will NOT happen if it can't be financed or if staff can't be found to run the "proposed" developments or the product can't be sold at a profit.
The number of mines going into 'maintenance mode' and laying off workers here in WA at present is staggering, there is presently no viable market for their product.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638776

Reply By: bgreeni - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:58
I wonder how many here would even see the Kimberly if it was not for development.

When I first worked in the area in the 60's the only sealed road was from the border to Wyndham.

Most of the road from Katherine to the border was dirt, no bridge over the Victoria R, and dirt most of the way to Geraldton. I once camped for 2 weeks waiting for the Fitzroy to go down so I could cross the flood way.

Development has bought with it reasonable access so we can visit in relative comfort.

WRT the comments on Environmental scientists. I work with many of these and consider the remarks above to border on libel. Certainly they work for clients, but they look for the solutions to issues and have extensive legislation to guide them. Certainly they are not just "Guns for hire"
AnswerID: 371530

Sponsored Links