are there any fish in Tassie?

Hi all,
Im having a ball in Tassie at the moment with the family but my salt water fishing is not going too great,I have been using squid and blue bait in the surf and in laggons around St Helens we are staying at a beutifull place called the bay of fires and noone is pulling up anything so can I get any tips or advice as I will be heading south and doing a lap clockwise in hope for afeed of fish at least one night LOL! HELP!! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:20

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:20
Hi John, we are at at the ferry terminal at Devonport heading back to the Big Island after about 14 weeks. What a great spot Tassie is.
There are fish there - just a lot of water between them. Keep at it and enjoy.

Norm C
AnswerID: 405599

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:29

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:29
thanks Norm at least I have hope LOL!
FollowupID: 675316

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:21

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:21
Hi yu jb,
We were at the Bay of Fires couple of months ago and those who like fishing were catching salmon, but they were close in to the shore, not out in the surf.
If you can't do any good there, try off the wharf at St Helens, Bicheno and Triabunna.
Having said the above the main salt water fish caught is flat head and to be honest they are few and far between at the moment.
Enjoy Tassie, tis a great place, so don't tell your friends we want to keep it to ourselves LOL
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405608

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:03

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:03
Oh Boy, are there fish there!!!

But you are looking in the wrong water mate.
Try inland for those magnificent Rainbow and Brown Trout. Can be fish with fly, lure or in one or two lakes even bait.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405624

Reply By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:18

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:18
Hi John,
Mate I go over every three years on average for the fishing. I mainly concentrate on the world class fresh water fishery. I even have two Tassie mates who moved down their for the fishing. I know little about the salt water fishing. But every river, every lake teems with trout, not always easy to catch mind you , but that is the challenge. Send me a mm if you want specific spots.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 405636

Follow Up By: dieseltojo - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:48

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:48
Hi John,

You haven't read the fishing books. Fish bite twice a day,,,before you get there,,, and after you go. Good luck, seems I catch as many as you.
FollowupID: 675366

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:22

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:22
John go to a tackle shop buy a bit of gear and get some first hand advice in the area you intend to fish, or have a counter lunch and ask if their are any fisherman about(should be able to smell them). We stopped at Deleraine once for a pub lunch, and got invited to fish the mersey that evening with a local.
Good luck Pete
FollowupID: 675378

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:14

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:14
if it was so easy they would call it catching - not fishing

only person that gos catching is Chuck Norris. He is so good when fisheries want to know exactly how many fish there are they ask him what hes thrown back
AnswerID: 405680

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 20:25

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 20:25
Johny

Good luck with the fishing, but take CARE NOT to drink the water, ABC report ucovered the Tassie water is TOXIC and killing marine life and could be causing human cancers and other illnesses!

All from geneticaly modified plantation trees.

I wonder how good our country would of been if we had of had governments who supported the smaller "real"companies we used to have who strived for quality and CARED, instead of multi national TAKE TAKE TAKE mentality.

GN
FollowupID: 675522

Reply By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 22:29

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 22:29
Hi all,
yes I have caught some fish ,the drought has broken LOL! its been bream and lots of them ,I only kept a few 35 cms for breaky as I dont believe in taking and not needing,my 7 yr old had a ball today catching about a dozen small flathead all too small to keep but he was stoked,what a top place Tassie is,I have met so many great people and I think it is the water,just dont drink it in ST hellensLOL! Nah just kidden I filled up there as the word is long term use is not good but they are onto it now,I spoke to a tackle shop and he said I will only catch salmon and Mullet on the surf and thats if they are running as the water dont seem to carry any food ?? hence the reason everyone likes fresh water fishing down here,well thanks all for your replies I reallyappreciate it.
AnswerID: 406238

Sponsored Links