Wiluna to Ningaloo

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 21:36
ThreadID: 8547 Views:3362 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning a ten week trip across Oz and back. Currently planning Gunbarrel east to west in late December. (I know it's late, but it's better than Scotland in the winter!)

From Wiluna, we'll be heading for Exmouth/Ningaloo, and then heading south, and back across the Nullarbor.

I find little info on the various web sites about the area between Wiluna and Ningaloo. What's in there? What are the route options? What are the interesting things to do and see? What routes are bad if it's wet? Diesel 4Runner with uprated suspension, snorkel, Heaslip camper trailer.Joey&Verna
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:31

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:31
Dont have a map in front of me but I would go past Mt Augustus Gasgoyne Junction Rocky pool Canarvon then check out the Quabba area on the way to Ningaloo
AnswerID: 37450

Reply By: Member- Rox - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:25

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:25
I recomend going into Ningaloo station, (which is 1/2 way between Coral Bay & Exmouth) it cost $15/Adult/Week, Kids free.
Less crowds, better senery, dig you own Dunny!!! stay at sth Lefroy Bay on that station. 30 km from Hiway to coast then 10 km north of homestead you carn't miss it. Also suposed to be a track from Coral Bay to Quabba Have Fun.Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
AnswerID: 37467

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:49

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:49
Agree with Rox's comments re: Ningaloo Station. We spent 10 days there in July this year. Top spot and whilst there make sure you check out the Point Cloates lighthouse ruins and the Norwegian Bay Whaling Station ruins. There is a track all the way from Coral Bay to Yardie Creek passing through 4 properties including Ningaloo Station.

One small correction to Rox though...be aware that the all the coastal stations around Carnarvon and Ningaloo have formed an alliance of sorts under the name NROCA (Ningaloo Reef Outback Coast Assoc) to try to stave off the WA Govt's bid to take over this stretch of coastline and hand it over the CALM. The stations are pushing hard to keep control and have been placed under enormous pressure (rightly so) to make sure that this unique environment is properly looked after.

Whilst informal bush camping remains the main attraction (and superb scenery of course), the stations have been forced to introduce certain rules (these came into effect in July when we were there). These include 1) mandatory use of chemical loo's; it is no longer acceptable to dig a toilet pit or head off into the dunes with a spade. 2) Total ban on the collection of firewood. If you want a fire, you must bring in your own wood and it must be easily identified as have come from elsewhere (easy since the wood in this area is limited to very thin, scrubby saltbush and gidgee).

As well, certain old campsites have now been blocked off for rehabilitation but there is still heaps of great individual or group camping spots in designated area's. Some of the stations have totally banned quadbikes (but not Ningaloo where they may still be used on designated tracks). Ningaloo Station has also established a formal rubbish tip.

Take in your own drinking water as the nearest available is at Exmouth. Washing water can be obtained from the stock tank at the foothills of the Cape Range opposite North Lefroy beach but you'll need a bucket and rope or a pump of some sort to get to it. Having said that, with the popularity of the place (almost all year round), try to avoid relying on this water supply if possible as it is placed under enormous pressure and at the end of the day, it's there for the stock, not we campers.

:o) Melissa Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
FollowupID: 27294

Reply By: Nav 80 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 13:43

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 13:43
Think I may be able to help as I live in the area and have traveled most of the roads at some time or other. First as you know traveling the Gunbarrel at that time of year is going to be HOT & DRY so be prepared. At Wiluna you have two roads you can take, one is the road to Meekathara 180K formed gravel conditions vary as to weather etc. This road would link you up at Meeka with the road through to Mt Augustas after that there are a couple of roads that head sth west and link up with Gascoyne Junction all dirt. From there its 170k to Carnarvon on the coast this road is being sealed but not sure if its done yet. From there you go North on the main drag with the option of going into Quobba then on up to Coral bay all sealed.
There is a 4WD track from Coral bay that follows the coast up to Yardi creek then sealed all the way to Exmouth. This track is well worth doing I towed a camper trailer up there and had a bit of trouble crossing Yardi creek sand bar and hill the other side but got through after a couple of trys, there are some good beaches and fishing through there.
The second route from Wiluna is Neds creek road, this is a dirt track that takes you past the southern end of the CSR and comes out on the great northen hwy about 120k from memory and about 100 od klms north of meekathara. You then head north through Mt Newman all sealed until about 200k north of Newman is the turnoff through to Karijini nat park and all the gorges, this road is sealed all the way through Tom Price, Paraburdoo and out to Nanutarra road house on the west coast hwy northof Exmouth. You could do the whole lot in a big loop if you had time then back to Kalgoorlie and back east. Anyway hope this has been of some use,if you need anymore info let me know.

AnswerID: 37473

Follow Up By: Member - Joey- Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:27

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:27
Thanks for that, er, "Nav 80",

I've downloaded the trek notes and park info about the coastal area. And the rudimentary map downloaded from nrma shows the roads Meekatharra - Gascoyne - Carnarvon and Newman - Tom Price - Nanutarra and Northern and North Hwys. I'll see the detailed maps when I get back to Oz / Adelaide at the beginning of December. Meantime,two questions. Are there any useful tracks in the area between those two east-west routes you listed? ie in the area between Gascoyne and Paraburdoo? If so, what are they like? And I'd have liked to go to Karijini, but thought it had too much risk of being wet in January. Is that true, or is it just hot?

Joey&Verna
FollowupID: 27177

Follow Up By: Nav 80 - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:05
Question 1. The area between Gascoyne and Paraburdoo is mainly station country,there are quite a few tracks through there but you would need station permission to get access, except for the gazetted roads. The area at that time of year will be very hot and dry with very little water around until you get further north into the Pilbara eg. Tom Price Paraburdoo.
Question 2. Karijini would be OK in January very hot and dry except the whole area through there at time of year is subject to cyclones. If there is no cyclone its hot and dry,if there is a cyclone on the way get out quick as the whole area can turn to flood and bog within hours. If you keep tabs on the weather you have plenty of warning if a cyclone is eminent. I belive your best bet would be Karijini Exmouth and down that coastal track I mentioned to Coral bay and the other spots along there someone else mentioned, it would be much more pleasent on the coast at that time of year..
FollowupID: 27181

Follow Up By: Member - Joey- Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:40

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 19:40
OK Nav 80, thanks for the help. We're looking forward to the trip.Joey&Verna
FollowupID: 27221

Reply By: Aaron - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 13:01

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 13:01
hi Joey and Verna, my partner and i are planning to do the anne Beadel or the gunbarrel around mid to late december. I am worried about doing it alone. Give me a call on 0422002766 if you are serious about it, and we may be able to travel together.
Aaron
AnswerID: 38364

Sponsored Links