What have you forgotten to pack.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:00
ThreadID: 91246 Views:2503 Replies:20 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Im very good at forgetting to pack something everytime we go away. Were heading off on maiden voyage with the new van tomorrow. I had a blond moment when turning on the fridge as we do to get it cold ahead of time. Ive managed to turn the fridge to dc instead of ac. Result warm fridge and drained battery.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:15
We never unpack anything from our camper, except the doona off the bed.
Therefore there is nothing to "remember" to pack when next heading off.

Apart from the doona, just the food we are taking is all that is required.

For those "blond moments" a checklist is a handy thing to have.
We have ours on a couple of spreadsheets. Generally we only need to use the consumables one. As we normally travel with one or two other couples, we print a few consumable lists out and have a planning party. During this the girls decide between themselves who is taking what food and the boys just have a drink or three cause we have already planned our route, etc.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475104

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:48

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:48
Hi Old Girl (sorry... I am not being sexist... you picked the name. (: .. lol )

There are those who would argue that the last thing on "our" (meaning the men of course) list, the last thing we think about taking is:
1. The Mrs
2. SWMBO
3. The "Handbrake"
4. The "Better Half"
5. ...

I think you get the idea lol... (:

regards,
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475106

Reply By: Member - DasherOK - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:01
When the 2 kids were just toddlers we went to Green Patch NSW for a 2 week holiday. I packed the tent but forgot the bag with the tent poles. A bit hard to put up a tent without poles. Guess who had to drive back to Sydney for the poles.
AnswerID: 475109

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:06

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:06
Tent pegs and guy ropes,

2 hours from the nearest town.

Oh what a feeling!

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 475110

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:30
G'Day
My friends all laugh at me for having laminated checklists. One for car based camping & another for backpack camping.
I even have one for going out in the bush for a BBQ! Funny thing is who do they come to see when THEY forget something important & have to come to borrow it from me.
I love lettting them eat humble pie about my lists!

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 475116

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:31
Gday
I went to Walhalla with Wes and forgot to take bedding . Now if you have been to Walhalla you would know its cold in the summer time and we went in winter.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475117

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:53
About 10 years ago I went of the the Western Deserts on a two week trip and forgot the air mattress.

Not a happy trip - there were some that said I got to experience how the explorers did it way back then.

Yer right - I'm still seeing the chiropractor!

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475121

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 20:29

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 20:29
I have a fair few spare items purchased as I travel.

lots of bottles of sauce and pepper.

pots and pans

No probs really. I always seem to forget the bird I.D. book though.
AnswerID: 475123

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:05

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:05
Not strictly camping related but still worth telling.

Many years ago when we were VERY new parents we took the newborn grandson to meet his grandparents in Perth.
Time to go back to the bush (200km away) so packed the car, said goodbye to the parents and drove off.
We got up to the next corner when late wife yells out "Stop, Go Back, we forgot to pick up the baby" who we had left sleeping peacefully in the middle of the loungeroom floor.

Years later when the baby of the story was a teen ager in the middle of an independance issue he said to us "You should have left me there when I was a baby, then I wouldn't be so bleep off with you"

We get on well now that he has two teenage kids of his own.

Disco.
AnswerID: 475127

Reply By: Member - Josh- Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:39
Hi Old Girl, I'm sure most of us forget something nearly every trip. After 2 1/2 yrs of travelling OZ we left the kids room part of our camp at a caravan park. We had put the trailer up and down how many hundred times on our trip and the kids room always sat in the same spot when we packed up. Some how we forgot it. We didn't realise till we were some 600 odd kms away.
You're not the only one.

Josh
AnswerID: 475133

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:43

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:43
Thought we would get some funny stories. I too have a list. We went from the camper to the van. Have everything we need so no need to empty the house. Just chuck the clothes and food in and go. Its all good now, fridge works a treat. Haven't told John just hope the batteries charge over night and while driving. He wont know a thing.
About ten years ago a group of us went away. The kids were swapping cars all day long. We stopped for lunch. That was done then loaded the kids up and off we went. Couple ks down the road we did a head count. One was still in the toilet back at the park. Didnt we all feel empty as we all did a quick u turn.
AnswerID: 475136

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:57

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 21:57
A couple of years ago a couple with 11, thats right.. ELEVEN children were travelling across the USA. They stopped for a pit stop, food and drinks. When they piled back into their van, Mum got out the check list. Called out all the names... all replied "HERE"..!
Two Hundred miles later they are pulled over by the police. They were going to be charged with child abondonment. Took awhile to sort out.

Turns out, one of the younger children had answered twice; once for himself, and once for his twin brother.

Don't you just love it...

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750081

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:37

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:37
I can't believe there are others who have done that!

We were on a trip in Big Desert Vic several years ago & did a similar thing. Got a call on the CB to ask if we had left anything behind after our last break & to our horror looked around into the back seat & one of our daughters was not in her seat!

Turns out that the last person in the convoy saw her standing by the track & picked her up.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 750096

Reply By: Robtbob NSW - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:14
As far as the fridge goes. I love to use a Dymo label er. Battery Elect Gas.
Use it for the water pump and light switches. Take your sense of humor and a notebook on your maiden voyage.
AnswerID: 475139

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:47
Wouldnt have made any difference. The simple fact is the blond came out. We have had smaller vans in the past.
FollowupID: 750110

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:34

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:34
Old Girl,
A few years ago, me and a mate went up to Innamincka and then on to Birdsville via the Cordillo Downs Road. We got a puncture just before Cordillo Downs and changed tyres. A few miles later we got another puncture. We only had one spare but we had a spare tube. My mate used to change tyres for a living so we went to get the tyre levers and couldn't find them. We had left them behind. We slowly wiggled the Hilux on the road until the bead broke. My mate then took the tyre off, put a gator on the tyre, put in a tube and put the tyre back on and all with a 6 inch screwdriver and his boots. It was dark when he finished. It was pretty impressive.

Most of us forget something. In the end it doesn't matter because we are on the road and having fun.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 475143

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:45
On one spring walk between Tharwa and Kiandra I thought I was being smart and put my matches in an old film cannister to stay dry but I forgot the strike pad so I had to wait until Oldfield's Hut to eat a cooked meal where I borrowed one of the strike pads off one of the spare boxes.

On the same trip I forgot my thongs for river crossing, I have very sensitive soles but luckily the water was cold enough to numb them a bit so i didn't feel the sharp rocks so much
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475145

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 02:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 02:10
Best thing we ever forgot was the missus's pj's. I got a fair bit of nocturnal attention that trip ;)
AnswerID: 475162

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:24
see ya's out there on Sat Sharon....depending on the weather we might drag our camper out as well.........or might just be a day trip :-)))
AnswerID: 475212

Reply By: flashcher - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:04

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:04
On our last camping trip, not all that long ago, the toilet paper got forgotten.

As we were going to a primitive campground and would be utilising the portable toilet, we were on the cusp of a diaster.

Hubby pulls out a big roll of hand towel, and all was well in the world again.
AnswerID: 475220

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:57
When I was younger, I played soldiers whenever my usual job got me down.

Went with some bloke up to P.N.G. to have a look at some stuff and do an investigation.

I packed the bloody kitchen sink didn't I, except underpants.

The only Reg Grundey's I had were those I had on. So they were worn on one side one day, turn inside out the next, then wash, sometimes putting them on damp. Finally they just fell apart and I had to go 'commando' (no underpants).

Everyone else who had undies got prickly heat, me in the 'commando mode' didn't.

Back on track, last year, up in the desert and I had to take my dogs as the usual minder was crook. I forgot dog food. The dogs ate bloody better than I did.
AnswerID: 475334

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:05
This is a true story.

Many years ago I was engaged in the profession of law enforcement. I worked on the N.S.W. Central Coast at the time.

A Dutch couple had lobbed into Oz that morning, hired a Winnebago and headed north. In those days there was a large Caltex servo on the Pacific Highway at Ourimbah.

The bloke stops, and gets fuel. Whilst he is doing this, mummy decides to go to the loo unbeknown to the husband, who pays for his fuel, and thinking mummy is sitting in the back, takes off.

Well she comes out of the loo, no sign of the vehicle, in a strange land, no money and she panics. Anyway, the people in the servo ring us, and I tasked a H.W.P. copper to go get her and go up the highway and stop the vehicle, which they did. I'm told she had a fast trip.

They pull up beside the Winnebago in a cop car who activates lights and sirens, and the driver looks across and there's mummy sitting in the front.

We often wondered what the conversation was around the dinner table that night, and how his love life went from that point.
AnswerID: 475337

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 22:04

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 22:04
Well it turned out fantastic. we went down to Nymboida Canoe Centre. Other than a bit of bruising, scratches & sunburn great 5 days. I cant get over not running out of power. The battery held up the whole time. Great place to stop if your near Grafton.
AnswerID: 475735

Sponsored Links