Outback QLD camping and 4wdriving

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 00:24
ThreadID: 96734 Views:2640 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are currently up north and looking at making our way down through outback QLD - Mt Isa, Cloncurry, Longreach, Blackall, Charlieville then to Brisbane.
Just wondering if anyone knows of some 4wd tracks and good camping down through this way.
We are keen to take our time and explore off the main roads. We are traveling by ourselves so don't want too serious tracks, but keen to see what's around. Our travel plans are flexible but haven't seen much of outback QLD yet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 01:19

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 01:19
Diamantina National Park would be worth a look if its not too far out the way?
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490360

Follow Up By: myaussieadventure - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:34

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:34
Thanks :) it looks good, might be a bit out of the way on this trip but will def keep it mind. Maby when we cross the desert down the track.
FollowupID: 765800

Reply By: Member - Stevo_62 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:07

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:07
Take The Wilderness Way loop at Tambo . It takes you via Dawson Developmental Rd to Salvator Rosa Nat Park and returns via Goodliffe Gorge . Stunning scenery and reasonable gravel road
AnswerID: 490362

Follow Up By: myaussieadventure - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:36

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:36
I'll have a look into it. Thanks :)
FollowupID: 765801

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:47

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 07:47
Hi,

From Cloncurry you can take the road (partly sealed) through Duchess to Dajarra and then go South to Boulia and across to Winton. (Bush Camping along the Burke River near the race track just out of Boulia).

The road is sealed from Boulia all the way so its not a 4WD track but there is some stunning landscape along the way, and a couple of good roadside rest areas (one new one about 100 kms West of Winton). Or plenty of opportunities to bush camp if you prefer.

We have just done this route towing our van and enjoyed it very much again. Found some great places to camp overnight and have a fire.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490364

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:59

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:59
Buy yourself some good 1/250000 maps like the Hema or Natmaps series. They will show all the tracks you need

John
FollowupID: 765711

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:08

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:08
Instead of travelling from Longreach to Charleville, we recently went Longreach, Barcaldine, Alpha, Willow Gemfield through to the Dawson Development rd, Springsure. 20kms east of Springsure at the bottom of the range is a Historic POI (old road way cut into the range by the Chinese) which also has Free Camping which was quite quiet at night although the main road is only 100m or so way. Then onto Rolleston, Buahinia Downs then turn right down the Fitzroy Development Rd to Taroom, then south to Miles, then head East to Brisbane.

The road from Barcaldine to Tambo is very rough especially if towing.

HTH

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490406

Reply By: AdrianLR - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:53

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:53
We're in Yowah currently (where it's raining cats and dogs:() having travelled down from Winton.

Carisbrooke Station south of Winton is excellent. We camped at the "house dam" amongst the trees - bush camping within 5 minutes walk of the cleanest facilities you're likely to find anywhere. There are walks and 4wd tracks on the property. We used Carisbrooke as a base for Opalton (you could also camp at Opalton if that suited your trip better).

From Carisbrooke down to Jundah via Lark Quarry. You can camp on the Thompson River outside Jundah but given the wind over the last couple of days and forecast rain, pitching the tent wasn't all that attractive so we stayed at the Pub. The owners, Monique and Shane, are great.

From Jundah there's the Welford National Park but as we were on the hunt for opals, we kept going through Quilpie, Toompine to Yowah. The Yowah community has a free camp ground with facilities but, again, due to the heavy rain we're wimping on the tent and staying in one of the motel rooms at the Artesian Springs caravan park. Great value - for $50 for two the room has full cooking facilities (so all the camping food gets used despite the weather rather than eating out) and a 57C atresian water bath in the ensuite!

Not sure where we go from here (heading back to Melbourne) but may well just stay in Yowah a couple of days then head straight down the Kidman way with only a single stop.

As an aside, someone mentioned the Hema maps - I'm going to drop them a note as one of the (few) marked tracks between Carisbrooke and Opalton runs into private property from both ends. We were lucky that we came across the mailman at the gate who let us follow him through otherwise it would have been a 50km detour. This reminds me, depending on your route, there may be hundreds of km without any fuel stops.

All the best,

Adrian
AnswerID: 490522

Follow Up By: myaussieadventure - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 23:01

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 23:01
Thanks Adrian. I will check this all out on the map. The weather sounds horrible.
Hope u see some sun soon... And we don't get get too wet on our way down.

Thanks again for your help!
FollowupID: 765879

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:51
Just a quick update - it's finally stopped raining! But....lots of road closures in the areas I've mentioned, including sealed roads. We seem to have been a day ahead of the rain and things were quite dusty. What a difference a day makes. Anyhow, extending our stay at Yowah was an easy decision (I got the name of the park wrong in the previous post - it's Artesian Waters not springs) and with the inclement weather we learnt a lot about how to polish the opals we'd found from the local artisans. It turns out that one of main importers of lapidary equipment is based in Yowah of all places. Just goes to show how small online trading has made the world.

Now in Bourke on the way home.

All the best,

Adrian
FollowupID: 766049

Sponsored Links