Lark Quarry to Carisbrooke Station

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 13:00
ThreadID: 97424 Views:2190 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Newbie here, I am travelling from Longreach to Lark Quarry later this month and wonder about getting across to Carisbrooke Sation in my 2011 model Subaru Forester?
If I go to the Lark Quarry midday tour after leaving Longreach, what is the best way to make for Carisbrooke that afternoon? Do I need to return to Winton?

Thankyou
Deest
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 13:11

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 13:11
Deest,

We did this trip in reverse at the beginning of July. The road between Carisbrooke and Lark Quarry is in excellent condition although dirt most of the way. The Forester will be fine. Your only consideration will be fuel - Winton is the nearset fuel so depends where you'll be heading beyond Carisbrooke.

We camped at the House dam which was very nice. You can use the facilities at the sheering shed which is within 5-10 minutes walk. Plenty of wood for a fire around the creek. The facilities are amongst the cleanest and best maintained I've come across at any camping area.

There is a station track that comes out from the back gate of Carisbrooke that's a much shorter route to Winton but you need to check in at the front of the property on the western boundary.

Lots to do on Carisbrooke. They have notes for 4WD drives and walks.

It was a highlight.

Adrian
AnswerID: 492914

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 13:37

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 13:37
I just reread my raply - I didn't answer your question!

You go direct from Lark Quarry to Carisbrooke without returning to Winton. The roads are clearly shown on the Hema Outback Qld map and take you to the main property entry.

Adrian
FollowupID: 768517

Follow Up By: Yarra - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:18

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:18
Thanks Adrian,
If we fill up when we leave Winton for Lark Quarry, hopefully this will be enough to get across to Carisbrooke and then return to Winton?

Cheers
Dee
FollowupID: 768520

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:24

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:24
Should be fine (we had a Forester in the early 2000s and vaguely recall that you could safely travel 500-600km frorm a full tank on dirt). I'll have a look at the map tonight for the exact kms and post it here so you can compare with your own consumption.

Adrian
FollowupID: 768521

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:57

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:57
Deest,

There's 2 ways you can go from Lark Quarry to Carisbrooke.

The first is the one Adrian mentioned, coming off the Winton - Lark Quarry road, and travelling west into the "back" of the property.

The second, which I'd recommend, is to leave Lark Quarry, travel north towards Winton, for about 7 kms(???), and turn left. This is the turnoff towards Cork Station and Old Cork, and after 18 kms, will bring you out onto the Cork Mail Road. You then turn right at this Tee junction, and travel north towards Carisbrooke. Am pretty certain there is a finger board there too, directing you to your destination. Think it's about 60 kms from Lark Quarry to Carisbrooke, via the Jump-up.

Reason for this suggestion is the spectacular views you get, as you arrive at the Jump-up, enroute to the Tee junction. The road down the jump-up is all bitumen, but the views from on top are really good. Think you can almost see the Carisbrooke house, as you look to the north.

When you leave Carisbrooke, if you travel up the Cork Mail Rd to the Winton - Boulia road, it's 80 kms into Winton.

Image Could Not Be Found

Don't forget to go to the Australian Age of Dinosaurs, while you're in Winton too.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492919

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 15:46

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 15:46
Bob,

The route you described is the one I was (quite inadequately now that I read my own post!!) trying to direct Dee to.

Adrian
FollowupID: 768527

Follow Up By: Yarra - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 16:09
Thankyou so much, the wonderful aussie spirit is alive and well in these forums.
FollowupID: 768529

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:32

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:32
No worries, Adrian.

Just makes good, round trip going down the jump-up, instead of back up the Winton -Jundah road. The other turn-off is easy to find, but not sign posted.

Dee, make sure you go for a drive up to the escarpment, up behind the Three Sisters. Some good scenery up there too. The Phillot Family are good people, and very fine hosts.

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 768542

Follow Up By: Yarra - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:51

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:51
Thanks Bob and Adrian, great advice.
FollowupID: 768550

Follow Up By: Yarra - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 09:58

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 09:58
Just wanted to thankyou for your advice on Lark Quarry and Carisbrooke. We spent 3 days out there and stayed in the Homestead at the station which was fantastic. The Phillots are indeed lovely people and Charlie's station and sunset tours are not to be missed. What a wonderful part of Australia.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 770612

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:34

Saturday, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:34
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770618

Sponsored Links