Coastal camping NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:26
ThreadID: 99827 Views:1902 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We have just returned from our annual camping trip to Port Lincoln National Park / Coffin Bay National Park. We have been going there for about 5 - 6 years and am thinking of heading to the east coast NSW next time. I live in SA and would go as far North as Wollongong. I am looking for National Park camping on the coast. Would love some ideas on some cool places. I heard Batemans Bay is nice.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flashcher - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 13:26

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 13:26
Mystery Bay or Moruya Heads primitive campgrounds are both great. The only problem is you can't book and both are packed during the silly season.
AnswerID: 501845

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:03

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:03
Also look at Congo primitive camp. Near Moruya.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778077

Follow Up By: Norbar - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:53

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:53
We left on the 26th Dec to Port Lincoln National Park and didn't even think we wouldn't find a site. We camped at September Beach. With the limited research I have done, looks like many of the NSW National Parks are a bit like caravan parks and need to be booked in advance.

Thanks

Alex
FollowupID: 778081

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:55

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:55
Try Gillards Beach near Tathra. All the NSW south coast will be very busy during school holidays as its servicing Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 778082

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:12

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:12
I'm just today planning a trip along the NSW south coast for February. Decided I couldn't face the after Chrstmas crowds, so went back to work instead!

I'd also recommend looking at Ben Boyd and Mimosa Rocks NP's, also Murramurrang (Pebbly Beach). As someone mentioned above, it is a good idea to book if you are planning for a trip during Christmas holidays.

In the past we often stayed in camps inland a little (eg South East Forests NP or State Forests) then went out to the coast during the day. This was mainly because we didn't want to have the holiday planned to a schedule and we liked to explore along the south coast.

Be warned - the weather along the south coast has, more often, not been the best beach weather (unless you are a photographer & like dramatic, stormy scenery!)

Cheers,
Vicki
FollowupID: 778086

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:47

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:47
Hi Alex,

We are locals and Pretty beach is a favourite of ours however not in school holiday times. There are powered and unpowered sites, it's run by National parks, but spaces are limited and like anywhere on the coast you will need to book a long way ahead.(I think they take bookings, not sure). No mobile phone service.

There is a daily vehicle fee (or you can buy a pass) as well as fee for camping per person.

Also Durras and Pebbly Beaches although there are no caravan sites in Pebbly (have seen smallish vans there though).

All are in Murramurang N Pk.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 501861

Follow Up By: mchapo - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:31

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:31
SSSHH Heather, dont give away our secrets!
FollowupID: 778174

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:51

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:51
Hahaha...yes I did think maybe I should not reply but its ok if people want to go there in school hols as we would not venture anywhere in those crazy times!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778177

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 16:06

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 16:06
Hi Alex,

I should have added that your usual after Christmas holiday of Lincoln National Park and Coffin Bay are a dream to me. I've only done that once after Christmas & it was magic.

Take care,

Vicki
AnswerID: 501862

Follow Up By: Norbar - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 23:24

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 23:24
Hi Vicki

Thanks for your feedback, with the research I have done it looks like we may stay in SA for this time of the year. I pay $165 for a 12 month SA National Park Pass which includes camping and visitor fees in most parks.

Some of the NSW National Parks look more like caravan parks. Flushing toilet, hot showers and crowds.

Alex
FollowupID: 778294

Sponsored Links