Chasing Steve from Kakadu or Kakadont.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 00:20
ThreadID: 132983 Views:4037 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Steve.
I am currently in Daily Springs for a night or two.I will be in Katherine Tuesday and then decide what direction i will head.I am still getting told that Kakadu is just a fund raiser for the locals.A lot of travellers have advised me dont bother going there go to Litchfiield Nat Park .Can you please advice me on what you think.I have 2 stuffed knees and can not walk far ,what would be the most appropriate place for me?Look forward from hearing from you and i will give you my email address and phone number.
Cheers
Stuart and Gunny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:48
Hiya I am a Steve .Litchfield is nicer in a different way and Kakadu may be very dry this year.Katherine has Edith Falls right next to waterfall thats nice spot.Personally on Kakadu I camped out where it said no camping got the places to myself and in morning packed up had a good look around and when leaving all the tourists where just rocking up.Saved a lot of time back tracking back to camp grounds.But all in a Litchfield be easier for you in my opinion.Sorry wrong Steve .
AnswerID: 602326

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:23

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:23
Hey Lazylux are you familiar withThese?

We have them all over the park now, we are catching those that think the law doesn't apply to them.

Just remember in Kakadu it is a federal offence, happy illegal camping.
FollowupID: 871967

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:31
This is possibly the guy you want I reckon

http://kakadutours.net.au/contact/
AnswerID: 602331

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:27

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:27
That's right that is me and after 21 years I have change careers, I now work for Parks Australia in Kakadu.

Yep I have jumped the fence and am not sure what I am doing with the business as yet, I will work that out later this year.
FollowupID: 871968

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 21:35
I am definitely not Steve LOL, but I can rave about both of the National Parks. You cannot compare two different parks and say one is better than the other. They are very different and Kakadu is world famous for good reason. We spend over a week in Kakadu and saw only the basics. We spent three days in Litchfield.

While we were able to undertake many wonderful walks, in Kakadu you can take to Yellow Waters boat cruise - a must in Kakadu. A coach picks you up from the tourist centre where you park your car (caravan park on the spot too). Very different but also as special is the small boat that takes you along the East Alligator River from Ubirr, with an Aboriginal tour guide. You can visit the Nourlangie Aboriginal Rock paintings with very little walking.

Many places in Litchfield also require walking. I have My Blogs here describing what we say at both parks from 2009.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602352

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:23

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:23
Hi MH,

I agree that both Kakadu and Litchfield are worthy Parks, but different. We have spent equal time in each and would again.

For whatever reason, Kakadu has been the subject of considerable media promotion and been treated negatively as a "Tall Poppy" as many Australians are inclined to do.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871978

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 21:41

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 21:41
As we travelled, we heard so many Kakadon'ts but the closer we got, the more Kakadus we got - from people who had actually been there.

Really any nature lover would have to love Kakadu, but nature haters would not.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872003

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 07:25

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 07:25
MH/Allan,

Seems to me that there's quite a volume of very negative people travelling the highways, under the guise of being a tourist. I'll bet their neighbours are glad to see the rear of that 'van or motor home disappearing off into the wide blue yonder, for 3 months or more. :-)

Recently heard a lady make the comment, since Waltzing Matilda centre burnt down, that "........except for dinosaurs and opals, there's really nothing here". She obviously needed constant entertainment?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872006

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:46

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:46
Hi Bob, we didn't even know about the Matilda Centre when we had a big circle on our map for Winton. How sad that people think like that.

Perhaps we should reply when they say "Don't" with "When were you there? What didn't you like?"

When people were bagging Lloyd Jones Weir near Barcaldine with "Why do people want to go to that dust bowl, It is terrible." So we found it and had a lovely peaceful night after chatting to a few of those who regularly spend the summer there. We wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872012

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:51

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:51
Yes Bob, there are negative / critical / condemnatory people everywhere. I just try to avoid and pay no attention to them.

As for your lady criticising the Waltzing Matilda centre...... she maybe would find little to interest her in our deserts? There is wonder everywhere if your eyes are open.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 872013

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:12

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:12
Hi Stuart

Those that say Kakadon't or don't bother have more than likely never been here,
I have spent 42 years here and still not seen it all.

It has been a dry year but that would include all the national parks in the top end, however there is a lot more to kakadu than waterfalls.

Ubirr art site has aboriginal rock art dating back 20,000 + years and an amazing lookout if you can handle a small climb, there is also free ranger guided talks on some days though the week.

Nourlandgie art site has different rock art and once again a small climb to a lookout with free ranger guided walks on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, there are other free ranger guided walks and talks throughout the week and a if you go to Bowali Visitor Centre you can get a heap of info.

Depending on your walking ability the first 400 metres to Jim Jim Falls is a moderate walk to the look out, however for a swim it is a solid 45 minute walk over large rocks and boulders.

Twin falls is a futher 9 kms with a ford over the Jim Jim creek that is about 0.8 mtr at the moment and once there there is a short walk to a boat shuttle up the gorge ( $12.50 ) return and a moderate to difficult walk up to the water fall, both in my opinion are worth the effort if you are not time poor.

Maguk is a 1 km walk that is reasonably easy for the first half and with a bit of effort the rest can be made with a bit of caution.

Gunlom waterfall is an easy 200 mtr walk from the large camp ground, and once again well worth the effort.

As for being a fund raiser a concession pass is $30 for a 2 week pass, camping in managed camp grounds with hot and cold running showers is $15 per person per night and basic facility camp ground are $5.50 per person per night, the are commercial camp grounds with varying costs.

Park pass are a charge by the federal government not the aboriginal people, they are a user pays system, this monies stays within the park and benift both the park and the traditional owners.

Keep in mind Kakadu is not crown land this is aboriginal land, leased by the director of national parks and joint managed as a national park.

I could spend a week giving you examples of other places in Ausralia and around the world that make the cost of a Kakadu park pass look extremely cheep, however it is almost time for bed.

Just look at the park pass as a small contribution to keep Kakadu a world heritage national park, as we speak there is about $6 million being spent on upgrade to faculties and signage through out the park this is a two year plan.

As a courtesy, Just ring ahead and inform Bowali staff that you have an assistance dog they will inform those that need to know.

Hope this helps.

Steve
AnswerID: 602394

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:30

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2016 at 23:30
There is also the Yellow Water Cruise the Guluyambi Cruise or a scenic flight, note that at this time of the year there is a fly neighborly agreement were as they do not fly over the falls while it is open to the public but still worth it.
FollowupID: 871969

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 00:10

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 00:10
Hi Steve I just write the truth about my life not about illegal or legal .We all done something thats not right.We never intended going to Kakadu as we were driving through to Cobourg Pen..But lady on gate was obnoxious and hassled us .So I went to Parks office and spoke to several people about situation.I got told I would have to pay 50 bucks to visit Cobourg but saw no permits stating this.So I made the most of my stay in Kakadu and at legal campground was confronted by a torch weilding lady demanding 10 bucks .We arrived in camp ground in dark .I told we are tired and getting eaten by mozzies while putting up tent .We would pay in morning but she demanded right there and then for the money.Next morning took off to Cobourg found the Ranger he gave us a permit for 5 bucks for 3 days stay. He even invited us out on his boat to go fishing! . I never harmed the environment or anybody or left rubbish behind.This was back in 1997 best trip I ever did with my brother who I had not seen for 12 years and sadly he died of Cancer a year later .So he was only person that I shared the adventure .Thats what life should be adventure but I see now everywhere is turning too commercial and overcrowded sadly.I envy you in your job its something I always wanted to be a Park Ranger but not good at studying at Uni level .
FollowupID: 871970

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 07:58

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 07:58
So your information on this subject is 20 years old and you post it like it is relevant today.

If you want commercial and over crowding go to Litchfield were you can wait in line 4 deep to go for a swim, were as Kakadu has the similar number of visitation today than it did 20 years ago and is over 3 times larger in area with more attractions.

Just sayin
FollowupID: 871976

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:12

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:12
Lazy,
Lucky you got a "$5 discounted permit" in 1997. This is what they are now........

"Permits for Cobourg Peninsula - Garig Gunak Barlu National Park:
You must pay your camping fees at least six weeks before you travel to the park.
Permits to camp at Garig Gunak Barlu National Park cost $232.10 per vehicle.
The permit allows up to five adults to camp for up to seven nights......"
(From the NT.GOV.NET website today)
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 871977

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:56

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:56
Yes I know I had a look before leaving.Its a very interesting place and beautiful sunsets.There were only 2 other people there when I was there. Times have changed hey, maybe lucky I went up there back then..and have good memories and spectacular photos .
FollowupID: 871980

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:26

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:26
To Steve of Kakadu .Hiya yes silly me writing about the past my appologies! Got stuck in freezing Alice Springs and only have tent and few warm clothes. .So had to rent cabin and getting cabin fever.Got bored and reading stuff on internet.Next time I will think before replying to someones question relevant to today.You are passionate about Kakadu and living the dream.I wanted to share with my wife and son this beautiful country and live the dream of traveling instead of stuck in Adelaide. .Just a bad timing with weather bit depressing .Cheers from Steve.
FollowupID: 871981

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:42

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:42
Hi Steve
Thanks for informing me about costs,places and the difficulty in walking there.I will now be coming up for a week or two.I should be there Friday or Saturday and will ring the staff at Bowali latter on today and organize a permit and make arrangements for my companion dog.I am currently at Katherine so i will be entering from the southern end.Again thank you for a informative description of things.
Cheers
Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 871983

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:21

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:21
Hi Stuart & Gunny,
We preferred Litchfield to Kakadu but we did them both ages ago now.
I have a bad knee & although climbing the rocks at Ubirr was a little hard, coming back down was much worse, so perhaps two good strong walking poles would be an idea. Don't miss it though.

We came up from the South to enter Litchfield and although we checked with the Ranger, we nearly got bogged as we started into the Reynolds River (a big hole where some one else must've got stuck.) just as you enter the water. Probably not there by now.

The water got up to mid door level while crossing.
Ring the Ranger prior to arriving at the crossing if you can for advice especially if you have no snorkel. This River has got crocs.

Take care, safe travels, Ma.
FollowupID: 871985

Reply By: Snatchem & Shackle - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:56

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:56
Hi Stuart and Gunny !
Having just returned from visiting the Northern Territory,which included both Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks I feel reasonably qualified to comment on your post.
To say " I am still getting told that Kakadu is just a fundraiser for the locals " is totally ignorant and insulting .
Should you ever get to see the area with your own two eyes I have no doubt you will be blown away by the natural beauty of the place and a National park that all Australians should be very proud of.
You may also get to meet some of the Aboriginal Park Rangers in your travels who are the most courteous and well mannered Rangers we have ever met.
On two seperate occasions - when leaving the Jim Jim Falls area and again at Ubirr - I was personally thanked by a Ranger for my visit.
We are so lucky to live in this great country - why allow idiots to bad mouth it ?
AnswerID: 602517

Sponsored Links