Marble Bar to newman

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:27
ThreadID: 30481 Views:3453 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Heading to Marble Bar in August/September and onto Newman - which road is best?? via Nullagine (which seems rather remote) or should we take the scenic road via Hillside Homestead back to Great Northern H/way to Newman. Klms work out very similar, but road conditions could determine the route? Plan to do Karijini NP and Tom Price on return trip back to Port Hedland. Is Paraburdoo worth a look? Have always wondered about it, since Peter Evans, breakfast announcer on ABC in 80's always mentioned the temperature there on a daily basis! Also plan to do Roebourne Wittenoon Road from Roebourne to Millstream NP and return via the Tom Price Railway Road. Any advice re roads will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Jinki
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:05

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:05
What kind of set up do you have ? Are you interested in seeing the sights or having a smooth drive ?
Via Nullagine is a good dirt road and there is plenty of interest to see along the way .
AnswerID: 153381

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:09

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:09
Hi Willie

We have a Nissan Patrol 4.8 TI series with Howling Moon on roof top, two spare tyres plus extra tubes, and necessary recovery gear etc.. Happy to go that way if we have positive feed back as have been told it is quite remote, not safe for just one vehicle, best to go in a small convoy, therefore reason why we are asking the question? Am sure it is not as remote as say the CSR or the Tanami! however, realise weather plays a part in condition of road. As you suggest there is plenty to see along the way will more than likely head to Newman via that road. Thanks for your helpful comments.

Jinki

FollowupID: 407403

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:48

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:48
It is not so remote - you will see plenty of other 4WD tourers - especially if you do what Matt suggests and go in to Carrawine Gorge , Skull Springs and Running Waters - these are stunningly beautiful .

FollowupID: 407418

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:50

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:50
Thanks Willie, sounds good.

FollowupID: 407431

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:54
"as have been told it is quite remote, not safe for just one vehicle"
Ha ha ha, my mum used to drive us from marble bar to newman reguarly in the mid 80's when we were kids to go and see our uncle. We never had Sat phones or convoys, I'm pretty sure you'll be right hey.
FollowupID: 407476

Reply By: Member - Fred - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:28

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:28
We did Marble Bar to Newman via Nullagine in July 2005 - were pleasantly surprised with the scenery - road was quite good - we were at the Capricorn Roadhouse for lunch - there was a fair amount of work being done on the road
Need to know that there is a length limit on the Tom Price Railway Road - also when we were there in 2004 much of it was very rough between Tom Price and the Roebourne/Wittenoom Road - don't know what it is like from Millsteam towards the coast
AnswerID: 153385

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:17

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:17
Hi Fred

Thanks, your comments, makes further confirmation to travel down to Newman via Nullagine. From Newman we plan to go to Karijini NP then head back to Port Hedland via Great Northern H/way to collect our caravan and head down to Karratha and leave it while we go to Millstream NP, so won't be travelling the Tom Price Railway Rd from Tom Price, just from Millstream, but will keep checking on conditions as we travel. Thanks for your help.

cheers
Jinki

FollowupID: 407406

Reply By: MATT.D(WA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:40

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:40
I went to Broome for christmas just gone and went via Nullagine and Marble Bar to save a bit of travelling time. I sat comfortably on about 90-100 clicks most the way. I travelled with my wife who was 5 1/2 months pregnant at the time and very apprehinsive about how rough the road might be. About 50kms from Marble Bar she suggested that we travel back this way as it was a smoother ride for her than the bitumen was.

If your out that way I would do the Carawine Gorge - Skull Springs - Running Waters loop from Marble Bar and back out to Nullagine then head to Newman as it is great countryside out there. Is best to get in touch with local authorities to find out the road conditions at the time of travel though as conditions change depending on rain etc.

Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 153424

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:32

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:32
Thanks Matt for your suggestion that we do the loop from Marble Bar to Carawine Gorge and to Nullagine, guess the road is fairly well maintained as it continues onto Telfer mine. Can understand your wife would have been apprehensive about road conditions. Had a son working at Telfer some years back who told us the surrounding countryside was great, so really looking forward to seeing that part of outback WA, we live on the Great Ocean Road, south west Victoria, which is also spectacular.

Good luck with your expected addition to your family. Thanks again.

Best wishes
Jinki

FollowupID: 407412

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:17

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:17
Hi Jinki,

What dates are you looking to be in the area? I will be there start of August travelling the same route.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 153498

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:48

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:48
Hi Glen

Plan to stay a day ot two at Port Hedland, leave caravan, then head to Marble Bar about 7 August, take 10 or more days doing the Marble Bar out to Carawine Gorge and back to Nullagine to Newman and then the Karijini NP and return to Port Hedland. Want to do mine tours at Newmand and Tom Price. Can't get to the area any earlier as we are doing a 4wd trip in the Kimberleys out from Broome for last two weeks of July then need a day or two to do chores etc in Broome before headingsouth to 80 mile Beach for a couple of days before heading further south. There is just so much to see and do - as we are retired with NO commitments! we are heading off at end of March going to Flinders Ranges for 3 weeks then up the centre and west from Katherine, hopefully arriving in Broome around 6 or 7 July. Stopping off to do off road trips along the way. You never know, we just might happen to camp at the same spot in the WA area.

Best wishes
Jinki

FollowupID: 407429

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:22

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:22
Hi Jinki,

I will be leaving 80 Mile Beach on 5th August, travelling to Marble Bar for a couple of nights then travelling to Newman via Nullagine on the 7th August. I won't be going via Carawine though. I am only staying one night in Newman before heading for Karinji for two nights, Tom Price for one night, before heading to Cape Range NP. I wish I had the time you did but it is only myself and my then 9 year old son travelling on an 11 week trip. I don't think he will appreciate the heat and red dust as much as I will, he will prefer to be on the coast...lol.

I will however be in Kunnunurra/Lake Argyle area 12th - 16th July before heading across the Gibb and up to Mitchell Plateau. I arrive in Broome on 28th July and will be staying at Cable Beach before heading up to Cape Leveque for a few days. I am sure that like me, you can't wait to get away.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 407596

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:56

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:56
Glenn

Looks as though we will just miss each other - we are at Lake Argyle around 18 June and arrive Broome 7 July. We are heading to Kooljamin resort at Cape Leveque on 10 July for 5 days and then back to Broome before heading off on a Kimberley 4WD trip up the Gibb River Rd, to Mitchell Falls and beyond etc for 15 days, back into Broome for a day or two before heading south to Eighty Mile beach, then down to Marble Bar and beyond etc. Actually Melissa's reply below gives a good summary of the area. Sounds wonderful and look forward to that side trip.

Even though our trip will be a lot longer than 11 weeks, you will see lots and do a lot in that time. Just remember Glenn, when you have worked 43 years you too can take a trip and make it last as long as you want!!

All the best to you and your son for a wonderful trip, take care and stay safe, as I said in previous note, you never know our paths may cross, let's hope so.

Best wishes
Jinki and Harry

FollowupID: 407607

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 00:24

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 00:24
Most of the roads in that area are quite o.k. but be very carefull if you are travelling at night as there is a lot of wildlife on the road and there have been some nasty accidents especially South of Newman
AnswerID: 153516

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:58
Thanks for your good avice, but unless something untoward takes place, we have a policy of not travelling at night.

Cheers Jinki

FollowupID: 407608

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:30

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:30
Hi Jinki,

We travelled the Marble Bar - Newman Rd last May then returned 7 weeks later via the Carrawine Gorge/Running Waters/Skull Springs loop from Marble Bar to Nullagine and then onto Newman. MB-Nullagine Rd was in tip top condition as it is regularly maintained. Lovely scenery as you pass through the very eastern extremity of the Chichester Ranges. We were in a GU Patrol with a campertrailer.

The loop out to Carrawine Gorge etc was also in good condition. Rippon Hills Rd is sealed all the way to where it connects with the Telfer Rd, but there was roadworks in progress when we passed to extend the bitumen even further, certainly at least to the Carrawine Gorge T/O. Check with Newman Shire offices before hand for latest update. The Skull Springs Road which basically takes you back west to Nullagine is regularly graded but is unformed, winding and lots of dips at the eastern end but no problem at all.

Access track into Running Waters off Skull Springs Rd is slow, rocky and rough with a few steep, but dry gullies to traverse, definitely low range. No problem for us even with the camper but could be a bit intimidating to the less experienced. As you drop down towards the Davis River the track deteriorates on account of cyclone damage back in 2004. We took the CT right in and camped at the edge of the thermal pool but you'll come to a clearing as you enter the treeline. I recommend that you walk in from here and have a look before driving further down (only about 300-400m). Access tracks to Carrawine Gorge and Skull Springs good with excellent camping at both places. Also lovely camping at Dooleen Gap north of Marble Bar beside the Coongan River just off the Pt Headland Road.

We found this whole east Pilbara region fantastic. Great scenery, as yet not too well known, remote, freedom to camp rarely found elsewhere in Aust and IMHO is poised to be the next BIG 4WD distination. I loved it a can't wait to go back so take your time and enjoy yourselves.

:o) Melissa

AnswerID: 153619

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:30

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:30
Hi Jinki,

We travelled the Marble Bar - Newman Rd last May then returned 7 weeks later via the Carrawine Gorge/Running Waters/Skull Springs loop from Marble Bar to Nullagine and then onto Newman. MB-Nullagine Rd was in tip top condition as it is regularly maintained. Lovely scenery as you pass through the very eastern extremity of the Chichester Ranges. We were in a GU Patrol with a campertrailer.

The loop out to Carrawine Gorge etc was also in good condition. Rippon Hills Rd is sealed all the way to where it connects with the Telfer Rd, but there was roadworks in progress when we passed to extend the bitumen even further, certainly at least to the Carrawine Gorge T/O. Check with Newman Shire offices before hand for latest update. The Skull Springs Road which basically takes you back west to Nullagine is regularly graded but is unformed, winding and lots of dips at the eastern end but no problem at all.

Access track into Running Waters off Skull Springs Rd is slow, rocky and rough with a few steep, but dry gullies to traverse, definitely low range. No problem for us even with the camper but could be a bit intimidating to the less experienced. As you drop down towards the Davis River the track deteriorates on account of cyclone damage back in 2004. We took the CT right in and camped at the edge of the thermal pool but you'll come to a clearing as you enter the treeline. I recommend that you walk in from here and have a look before driving further down (only about 300-400m). Access tracks to Carrawine Gorge and Skull Springs good with excellent camping at both places. Also lovely camping at Dooleen Gap north of Marble Bar beside the Coongan River just off the Pt Headland Road.

We found this whole east Pilbara region fantastic. Great scenery, as yet not too well known, remote, freedom to camp rarely found elsewhere in Aust and IMHO is poised to be the next BIG 4WD distination. I loved it a can't wait to go back so take your time and enjoy yourselves.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 153620

Follow Up By: Jinki & Harry - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:09

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:09
Hi Melissa

The area sounds just so good, and feel excited already even though it will be at least early August before we get out to Marble Bar and beyond.

You have given us much detail which makes it so much easier to visualise and to have first hand experience with the roads etc. We know conditions can change quickly and we have a 2005 Pilbara map, however, it shows Rippon Hills Road as a minor unsealed road. Did think the road would be fairly well maintained as it is on the way to the Telfer mine.

Will take your note with us, as you have given much detail for which we are appreciative. Will enjoy the wonderful scenery and surroundings.

Thanks again

Cheers Jinki & Harry

FollowupID: 407614

Sponsored Links