SatPhone vs. HF vs. EPIRB ... or the whole lot?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:43
ThreadID: 53096 Views:5599 Replies:20 FollowUps:40
This Thread has been Archived
g´day folks,

we are Swiss and plan to travel with our equipped Toyota HZJ78 the Australian Outback for most of our 11 months lasting trip down under starting May this year.

now what is your recommendation regarding emergency communication equipment?
As we are not familiar with the use of an HF radio and i do understand operating one requires some basic training it seems HF is second choice over a SatPhone for us.
once having a SatPhone or a HF radio is it still advisable to have an EPIRB at hand too?

any advice is very much appreciated! - lukas

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:55

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:55
my 2cents worth

In your situation I would probably go with the SatPhone and an epirb.
HF radio's are a good option for regular 4wdrivers, however:

1. they're expensive ($1000+ for a 2nd hand one)
2. they're fiddly to fit - display console and transmitter separate plus aerial ...
3. you need to register and nominally belong to an HF club or affiliate (VKS737 for example)
4. bit of a learning curve on how to use one properly...

I wouldn't rely on a SatPhone for extreme emergency as they can be unreliable (batteries / signal etc.). An epirb (406mhz) is simple and easy to use.

However, others here will probably suggest HF's - horses for courses....
AnswerID: 279662

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:58

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:58
oh and BTW - a UHF radio is a must...can get a good one for around $300
FollowupID: 543828

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:54

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:54
g'day Scott M,

sorry, just noticed that you quoted a price for a UHF.....
thanks!

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 543834

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:24

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:24
Hi
Re the mention of the need for a display console,not needed with the new Codan NGT,as it has a small hand piece a bit bigger than a mobile phone.
Re the epirb,there are quite small one's now that can pin point your location down to less than 50 meters,cost around $600. Registered to your name,which i am told will get a quicker response time as false alarms are easier to check due to the authorities being able to contact your "contact list" to see if last they heard you were in the backyard having a BBQ or in the Simpson Desert. They are also small enough to carry with you when bush walking.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 543896

Follow Up By: Smudger - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:03

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:03
If the issue is Safety, in case of accident or getting lost, the two items you need are satphone (Telstra) and GPS.

Satphone must be must be Telstra, then if you can see the sky you have communications everywhere in Australia. The Motorola 9505 and 9505a, as an earlier reply mentioned, can be used with your regular Telstra sim card. (It must be International Roam enabled, which is not available with a pre paid card)

UHF is not essential, but it is useful to speak to truckies and other travellers while you're on the road. The range is very limited, only up to 5kms. A hand held unit will do the job, but get a decent one, about $130 from an electronics shop. For emergency communications it's short range makes it next to useless.

HF (Flying Doctor) radio is pretty good, but there are black holes where you'll get no signal. The cost is about the same as a satphone, which you'll be able to use when you get back to Europe. (I bought my Motorola satphone 2nd hand on ebay from a bloke who took it hiking in the Himalayas, using his telstra sim card. Said it never let him down)

I do not agree that EPIRB is essential. In fact, I've read an account of a family group who activated their EPIRB in the bush and waited almost 2 days to be located. My understanding is that EPIRB only provides searchers with a fairly large general area to begin theirgrid-search.
FollowupID: 543903

Follow Up By: Pete and Lez - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:41

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:41
Have a look at TRTelecom, MUCH better deal than Telstra.
All the best Peter and Lez
FollowupID: 543967

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:46

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:46
Smudger, our garmin EPIRB has a inbuilt GPS narrowig the search area down to 5 to 50 meters.

The older or cheaper ones (this is most of them) don't have a GPS function.

Our location gets sent when the Epirb is activated.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 543987

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:25

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:25
Lukas,

Agree totally with the UHF radio. An absolute must. A sat phone sounds to be the best option for you. Id look at your options for purchase of one locally (Switzerland/Europe) in preference to getting one here. Just be mindful of anything using "Globalstar" as a service provider while in the pacific region. Very poor service (a disappointed globalstar customer).

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279672

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:38

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:38
P.S. EPIRB is a great idea but the new types that are required in Australia as of December 07 are $400 plus here. Priced them yesterday. New Barratt 2050 HF radio $3100 and a Codan NGT is $3600. Very expensive new.

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 543831

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:51

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:51
g´day Mick O,

thanks for the prices. any idea what a UHF radio would cost?
and sorry to ask this: what sort of range one covers with UHF?
does one need to have a license to operate a UHF radio?

thanks for your input - lukas
FollowupID: 543833

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:43

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:43
If you buy a Motorola 9500 or 9505, you can put a Telstra GSM Simcard in it and get coverage from ANYWHERE in Australia with zero monthly satellite charges.
FollowupID: 543843

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:59

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:59
Just to clear up a bit of confusion. A UHF will have a range of under 30 Km in most conditions. Line of sight. But great for places like the Simpson where it is a must.
The Motorola Mike DID refers to as having Australia wide coverage is a Sat Phone.
Vince
FollowupID: 543859

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:07

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:07
SARSAT satellites will continue to locate 121.5MHz EPIRBs until 1 Feb 2009.

After that date, 121.5MHz EPIRBs will still be detected by commercial aircraft. QANTAS policy is to have the secondary receiver set on 121.5.
FollowupID: 543894

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:36

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:36
An EPIRB is ESSENTIAL.

HF radios and Satphones are complex and can fail or be destroyed in a rollover or accident.

An EPIRB fits in your pocket - keep it there.

Many people have died needlessly in the outback because no-one knew they were in distress. Once someone realised they were overdue, it was impossible to find them.

With an EPIRB it's just a Rescue, not a Search and then hopefully a Rescue.
AnswerID: 279684

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:41

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:41
The only way to keep in touch with travellers in your vicinity is by HF radio.

Whether to get immediate road reports or to get help for non-urgent problems (breakdowns, bogged).

You don't have to install anything in the vehicle if you use a portable kit. Throw an aerial wire over a tree or bush and clip onto the battery.

There are the old Codan "lunchbox" radios or QMAC HF90 with full Selcal and Telcall facilities.
AnswerID: 279686

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:42

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:42
Hi Lukas
Regardless of price, how do you put a price on Safety? Like others
have said above, a UHF radio is a very cheap and MUST for any Outback traveller.

For me there is only one choice for reliable long distance and safety logging, an that is a HF Radio.
They are not hard to use, just like talking on any kind of
mobile radio. Have been in the bush many times with members
of my group, when they are not able to use their Satphone at all.

If using a Satphone, you will not know how close or far away help
can be, while using a HF Radio and Contacting the VKS 737 Radio
network, you will be in contact with members Australia Wide, and make many new friends while travelling. I have heard of countless times over the radio (HF) base operators asking for any members who are in a certain area, that can either take parts or help out a stranded traveller. You will not find that help on a satphone.

Look into any serious 4X4 that travels around our great nation and you will find a HF Radio fitted to their vehicle.

Buy a HF radio and you will have peace of mind knowing that you can make contact anywhere in Australia, and know that you will be offered free advise from professional people.

All the best and enjoy our Great Nation.

Cheers

Stephen
VKS 737 Sierra 4113
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 279689

Reply By: marq - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:48

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:48
I used a Satphone (9505A $2k) and 1W handheld uhf ($80)

The satphone was used multiple times (for other people - ie vehicle turnovers, stranded etc)

I believe satphone, small uhf are required. I recommend personnel (small pocket type) EPIRB if your on roads which are not being used as much (eg an off road to an outback road). Remember have the satphone in a place that is easy to reach and tied down (ie velcro) in case of turnover.

Most roads you will see someone a couple of times a day.
AnswerID: 279703

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:46

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:46
I definitely agre with the 'easy to reach' statement - too many of us have all the gear but 'stashed away' and very hard to access.

I have an 'emergency grab bag' that has epirb, satphone, uhf, compass, knife, matches, signalling mirror, thermal blnket, water, dehydrated food, snake bite kit and about a zillion other thngs that I consider would be a necessity should I be/get in trouble.

I might just open it up in the weekend, lay it all out and take a pic to show you guys :-))))))

I always have it on the floor on the passenger side of the Nissan and whenever I venture more than a few meters in the bush or 'of track' I take it with me.
FollowupID: 543899

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:55

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:55
I'm a volunteer base operator with one HF network (vks-737) and we have had quite a few visiting overseas members on the airwaves over the years. The HF radios are expensive but operation is relatively easy, after a short demonstration. If you wanted to save $, the satphone, UHF, epirb combo should cover your safety requirements. The thing about HF is that the volunteers in the network can provide extra info on the many daily skeds such as weather reports and road conditions too at times .... with the Satphone, any decent communication sessions where you might be trying to solve an outback problem will rack up a lot of $. The volunteers in the HF networks can chase it up for you at no extra cost, and then get back to you on channel.
You can hire HF radios and staphones here too, instead of buying. I chose HF, but a lot of happy travellers choose Satphone ......... decisions decisions !!! Hope you have a great time here Lukas !
AnswerID: 279704

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 23:35

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 23:35
G'day Darian,

as you are base operator at VKS737 you might be able to answer my question:

lets assume i have an HF Radio, but no SatPhone: how could family members at home get in touch with us in case of an emergency at their end? could they call VKS737 and ask them to relay a message to us via HF radio? would that be an option?

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 544769

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:13
Indeed - there's a message service in operation just for that purpose Lukas. There's a spiel about the system on the VKS website - in essence, family can record a message via a phone number (up to 1 minute as I recall). Our volunteer messages coordinator John checks this message bank several times a day - he circulates a messages list to all base operators, several times, each day. The list is broadcast by the operators at the start of every sked, all bases (and during skeds at random too). If members listen in, to at least one sked a day, it's highly unlikely they will miss the call. The system has been running for years, and we carry a lot of messages at times during the winter - feedback suggests that members regard it as a thorough and reliable system [Sent as a member message also].
FollowupID: 544905

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 19:32

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 19:32
G'day Darian,

thanks heaps for this information! that sounds like a good service!
i reckon you will here us on the air once we start our trip!

thanks - lukas
FollowupID: 544921

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:14

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:14
Be aware that there are 'old type' and 'new type' epirb's. If you get one then do not get an old 121 MHz model.

Personally I would get a satphone and uhf and not bother with the HF.
AnswerID: 279709

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:39
Hi Lukas

You've already had some good sensible advice but it would be worth taking time to read the Communications pages under the Topics heading.

Are you shipping your landcruiser over or getting it here? You can easily have the UHF radio fitted when you get here. There are many places in all capital cities to get this done. You can buy them on Ebay for A$350+ and a model like the GME3220 with 5watt capacity will give you up to 30km range in the desert areas.

If you can tell us your starting point then we can suggest companies to talk to when you get here.

In summary then EPIRB and UHF are essential. See if you can get a Motorola satphone that you can connect to Telstra when you get here. It will probably be cheaper to buy in Europe. You may also be able to pick up a good second hand HF radio to install if you check with dealers when you get here.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 279724

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:31

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:31
g'day Peter,

our starting point will be Perth.....and yes please, let us know some companies to check.

thanks for your help - lukas
FollowupID: 543931

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 21:41

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 21:41
Hi Lukas

Richard has already mentioned Outbacker and I think they would be able to set you up with all you need and look out for a second hand HF set before you arrive.

Here's the web address.

Cheers

Peter

http://www.outbacker.com.au/

Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 544191

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:44

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:44
If you're considering purchasing an EPIRB, then you may wish to check here

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279726

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:02

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:02
The cheapest EPIRB on the new 406MHz standard is currently $429.

MT410 PLB
FollowupID: 543893

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:13

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:13
Be sure to register your EPIRB - the 406MHz EPIRBs transmit an ID number - then they'll know exactly what vehicle to look for.
FollowupID: 543895

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:11

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:11
G'day Ed. C., G'day Mike DID,

just read this on the web page of AMSA:

''Residents of other countries buying beacons in Australia should have the beacon coded and registered with their country of residence.''

now i am lost!
i dont have the faintest idea where to get such a beacon registered here in Switzerland! first of all i never ever heard of anybody who would own such en EPIRB over here!!!

....well i trust, you can't tell me either, can you?

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 544009

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:27

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:27
Lukas if you are going to get a Epirb pay the extra and get one with a inbuilt GPS.

Get one in Australia as the Australia only ones are cheaper then the world wide ones.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 544013

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:32

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:32
Lukas, since you will be in Australia for 12 months you will really be a resident of Australia.

On the EPIRB Registration Form it says that if you are buying the EPIRB in Australia you should use this form and register it in Australia.

When you leave, you could sell the EPIRB in Australia (let me know how much you will be asking !) to avoid the hassles of re-registering it in Europe.

Who will you be informing of your travel progress to give as contact ? If you are using HF then VKS737 will have your movements - I wonder if they will accept being the emergency contact ?
FollowupID: 544014

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:39

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:39
Mike DID,
a contact address in Australia is not really a problem as an old Swiss school mate of mine lives in Sydney for over 20 years now and i know a mate living in Perth.....

that should be alright, i reckon.

and selling the EPIRB at the end of our trip....that might be an idea!
i will let you know! ... but that will be in March 2009 only!!!!

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 544015

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:04

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:04
G'day Lukas,
I would concur with what mike has said, though I'd suggest that you contact the AMSA ("contact" button at bottom of the page has the details) just to clarify your position (and intentions)...

I'm sure they will put you on the right track;-))

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544022

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:21

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:21
g'day Ed C,

that's what i also thought...sent a mail to AMSA already.

thanks for the hint anyway - lukas
FollowupID: 544027

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:16

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:16
Agree with all comments, but don't forget that you can also hire a HF e.g. http://home.iprimus.com.au/jimshire/
A hand held sat phone on the irridium network is a great asset should you have a vehicle fire and have to exist on your "pat malone" for a while.
An epirb is essential. It's the last resort, but it will take time to find and get to you. Much quicker if you can phone and tell them where you are :))
AnswerID: 279732

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:54

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:54
Hi Lucas,
Agree with all said, HF is not 100% reliable due to changes in the ionisphere, normally ok but...
If you were thinking of going that way I would look at the hire option

The UHF is more for preventing problems, ie crashing into someone comming the other way, if your listening. also for local general chat up to 30K

Get the maps out, work out your itinery, ask lots of questions and you will have a great time.

Rgds
ian

AnswerID: 279742

Reply By: Steve63 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:20
You need to look at things based on what you are planning to do. If you are staying on sealed roads the requirement for HF or satphone is somewhat reduced. If you are going off the main roads HF/satphone and a UHF radio is a must.

UHF sounds unlikely as a requirement but they are not just for talking to others. If a group is coming the other way and you are scanning you will hear their chatter. You then know someone is heading your way (or you are catching them). Many collisions are avoided this way. Some tracks even tell you what chanel you should be on. For example the Canning Stock Route (CSR) uses channel 40. Not having a UHF radio on that track just makes you another hazard. Even single vehicles tend to transmit every 10km on the CSR. We ourselfs do this on tracks with sandhills. Several times we have been contacted by an oncoming vehicle less than 500m away that could not be seen because of sanhills or dense brush. A mishap avoided is the best type. If your vehicle needs recovering because of damage in an out of the way place it will cost a damn site more than $300 for the radio.

A HF radio or satphone is a good idea if you are going bush at all. In reality in many areas you will be a long way from help. In other places help is just around the corner. In some very remote areas it may take days to get to help. Be advised that station owners are not under any legal obligation to help you though most will.HF radio requires some training to use it effectively. You also need to be part of a network or who will call (other than RFDS). It is very important with HF that you know where you are and where the base you are trying to contact is. You must know the correct frequency to use.

If you have a satPhone you need to have the numbers of people and organisations ie RFDS. Not all satphone networks are equal. You can get global coverage with the Iridium network so this could be organised while still at home. There are advantages and disadvantages to both satphone and HF. If you do a search there was a very good unbiased discussion possibly by Mike Harding.

The EPIRB is a back up. If you really get into trouble and all else has failed it may save your life. Be aware that help may not reach you for days. There is no point using it in the case of a snake bite. If the snake delivered a full load of venom you have 9 -15 hours for an adult IF you have used the correct first aid. In this case you really need your HF radio or satphone.

On that point please get a decent first aid kit and know how to use it. In a medical emergency you will get someone to help via RFDS but they will be talking you through the things you need to do. It is not like in the movies where a plane turns up in half an hour. Those planes are 5-6 million dollars so they are not going to try and land them in a patch of scrub somewhere. We travel alone and both of us are qualified senior first aiders. It always amazes me how many people have three bandaids and an expired box of panadol as a first aid kit or have a huge kit and no idea how to use the things in it.

It is nice travelling the outback but it is a very harsh environment if something goes wrong.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve
AnswerID: 279756

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:49

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:49
My initial response when I saw your post first thing this morning was to suggest a Sat phone and no HF radio but I’ve been thinking…. (no gratuitous comments please! :)

There are lots of good suggestions above and it’s certainly worth while getting a UHF CB, ensure you buy one with “all channel scan” – I suspect all modern ones will do that, and unless the track you’re on has an accepted UHF channel put the radio on scan.

I’m assuming money is not a major issue for you?

Sat phone – Mike DID mentions using a Telstra SIM card to make a Sat phone work, this is a good technique for we Aussies but I doubt Telstra will give you an account because you’re not Oz Residents. Will Telstra pre-paid cards work the same way?

A Sat phone is good for you because the learning curve is small and you can instantly (hopefully) get through to emergency services / breakdown people etc. It doesn’t suffer from the vagaries of HF propagation and you don’t need it to be installed in the vehicle.

HF radio. As mentioned, if trouble arises there may be someone who can help just a few km away. You can listen to the VKS737 skeds. and if you’re not too shy (and being Swiss I doubt that :) you can join in the skeds. and make new friends, discover secrets about nearby places and, maybe, hook up with other travellers for a day or two

Ideally: you want both and if you are prepared to spend $4-5k you could do that. Otherwise…? For me; HF radio no doubt but I have an Amateur Radio licence too, for you… my advice… probably HF radio but it’s a 49/51% call :)

Whatever: have a great time and enjoy our country.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 279761

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:00

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:00
PS. A licence in not required for UHF CB.

For HF radio use you will need to join VKS737:
VKS737
which costs about $100 for one year. There are other HF organisations but, I understand, this is the best.
FollowupID: 543902

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:20

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:20
g'day Mike,

let's assume i would go for a HF radio:
i would surely need the hardware, that i might get 2nd hand?
how much would i need to spend to get a decent radio?
and where could i get that from in the Perth area?

then i understand i would need a license to be allowed to use the HF radio. right? that is a one time fee to be paid? how much?

then i would need to become a member of VKS737. u stated that costs 100AUD per year.

would i need to attend some sort of a course to get to know how to operate that HF radio or the dealer tells me how to do it and that's it?

and now the key question:
how much time u reckon it will take me to get it all set and operating before i can hit the track? i mean would i have to wait some days to get the license processed or to get the ok from the VKS737?

...did i miss out on something?

hope u find the time for some additional info.

thanks in advance - lukas
FollowupID: 544041

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:49

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:49
Morning (evening :) Lukas

I'm not really familiar with these radios but I think $1500 will get you a good one secondhand and you'll need an antenna too. I would recommend a "tapped whip" should be about $300 new. As I live in Melbourne I'm afraid I don't know of any Perth suppliers, but I'm sure others will advise.

You don't need a licence or any kind of testing for this type of radio you simply need to pay the annual fee of $100 and join VKS737 and then you're on the air :)

Using the radio is fairly simple and a 15 minute lesson plus the instruction book should make it clear.

Time wise? Arrange your VKS737 membership to start on the day you arrive and allow one day (maybe two???) for the radio to be installed - that's it - hit the road and discover Oz.

Mike Harding

PS. Going to be 37C in Melb today - what's the temp in Switzerland? Was nice some years ago when I swam in Lake Geneva but that was in summer :)
FollowupID: 544045

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:58

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:58
yeah it is evening over here and the outside temp is below freezing point right now!!! i honestly prefer the 37C on ur end!!

Mike, thanks for ur update. i understand we do not need a license? then the HF radio option would actually be cheaper than a SatPhone! interresting! i thought to have read somewhere that one needs a costly license.

cheers - lukas

FollowupID: 544046

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:35

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:35
g'day Mike,

one more thing:
if we'd carry a SatPhone our family members back home could call us anytime in case of an emergency on theire end.
how would they be able to reach us once we would only carry an HF radio? via VKS 737???

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 544155

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:59

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:59
Hi Lukas

That is one of the disadvantages (some would call it an advantage :) of HF radio; people cannot easily call you - I think some of the HF telephone services may permit others to call in but you would need to check.

VKS737 provide a facility for family etc to telephone them and leave messages which will be relayed to you the next time you identify yourself to a VKS737 operator so you're not totally out of contact but there may be a time lag?

By the way Lukas your English is excellent - far, far better than my German :)

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 544156

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:09

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:09
Lucas,

Like many others, I would recommend a UHF Transceiver for general purpose use within a 20 km range or so and a 406mHz EPIRB for that last resort.

One thing that has not been mentioned though, is that a fixed in-car UHF transceiver is not the only viable solution.
You can also purchase a 5 watt handheld transceiver and connect it to an external antenna. This gives you the option of taking it out of the vehicle if on a bush walk somewhere and is the same power rating as a built-in unit, with the same scan functions over the 40 UHF channels.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 279763

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:35

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:35
Okay, I'm disappointed.
I thought you people had some sort of special Army knife thingies that would you get you out of any harm.
Cheers and have a safe trip.
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279767

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:40

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:40
They do!

But you know the deal: if they tell you about it... they have to kill you :)
FollowupID: 543904

Reply By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:37

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:37
g'day folks,

first of all a BIG THANK YOU for all your advice! it is absolutely fantastic the way you share your thoughts here in this forum! it is a great pleasure to read all your comments!
well, may be we'll have the chance to meet one or the other of you all later on this year somewhere out there on a track......

thanks - lukas
AnswerID: 279782

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:34

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:34
There is no such thing as an Australia only epirb. All epirbs can be used world wide. Also, there are no hassles involved with registering them or changing an address to or within any country. All the rescue co-ordination centres world wide are in instant communication with each other to check out who is the registered owner of an epirb when they have a beacon activation .
AnswerID: 279845

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:16
Here is a link to the epirb we bought

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GME-MT410G-EPIRB-inc-GPS-suit-Boat-4WD-BushWalking-etc_W0QQitemZ130186990820QQihZ003QQcategoryZ72539QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is stated on there web site

Please note : Although this is an International/Global monitored device it is factory programmed for Australian registration only and is not suitable for export and due to export/import agreements with our supplier and international distributors, we cannot supply versions with registraion capability for other countries outside Australia and we will not ship this item outside of Australia.

So if there is no such thing as Australia only why do they say it.

FollowupID: 544596

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 07:57

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 07:57
It's quite normal for a retailer to be supplied a product on the condition they only sell within their assigned sales area.
FollowupID: 544637

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 19:05

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 19:05
Hi Olcoolone,
First of all the mechanics and then the politics and paper shufflers side of things.

Every 406 epirb has a unique 15 digit hex id code built in. This code is transmitted every 55 seconds when the beacon is activated. The code is picked up by a geostationary satellites and relayed to rescue coordination centres in both the country responsible for the area where the beacon was activated AND the country where the beacon is registered. Depending on language and various other things communication of the personal information about the person who registered the beacon may be passed on from country of registration to country of activation in 5 to 10 minutes. If the epirb had a built in gps an instant 'fix' with an accuracy of about 25 km will also be known. As far as I can figure in Australia after the RCC pin point the site of activation it is then up to the state authorities (Police) to home in on the scene. In NZ for instance the RCC task people to actually go to the site of activation and rescue if alive or hand over to Police if fatal.

Now the politics and paper shufflers side of registration.
Convention says that countries will ONLY register epirbs where the unique 15 digit hex code of the epirb contains the embedded 3 digit code for the country where the epirb is being registered. So an epirb with an Australian country code can only be registered in Australia.

BUT please note, any epirb from anywhere in the world will be heard in Australia if it is activated in Australia.

I understand that as epirbs sold in America must be registered in America you can buy on ebay and find that the epirb may be brand new but already registered to a few names taken at random from the local telephone book by the seller.

In some countries (i.e. NZ) you can ring the RCC and tell them you will be in the country for six months with an epirb and here are my details and epirb id number. The RCC will make a note of your contact details so they can instantly get them if you activate your beacon whilst in the country.

I would advise people to purchase within their normal country of residence but that doesn't stop you using the epirb anywhere in the world.

An epirb with out gps will not be pinpointed immediately it is activated. The activation will be noted immediately but there will be two possible positions where the beacon may be located (up to 5000 km apart). A second pass by another satellite is required to pin-point the activation site and this could - in the worst case be up to 4 1/2 hours later. A position (+/- 30 km) of activation will then be known.

By 2012 all gps satellites will have a sarsat epirb beacon receiver on board.

Hope that helps some. Your information was correct but it does not stop the emergency notification getting through, the epirb still does its job anywhere any time.
FollowupID: 544726

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 03:27

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 03:27
Oppikofer L Hi

It all depends on what price you put on your life...

we have a HF radio, latest EPIRB on old EPIRB

depending where you travel (in WA) two to three day just to get someone out to fined the body's.

I did like the idea of this becon

or this spot

but most trips HF is the better bet

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 279860

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:36

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:36
g'day Richard,

this SPOT thing sounds interesting. have u got any experience with it?

and would that replace the need for an EPIRB?
am not sure about the cost. but it seems to be cheaper than an EPIRB. is that so?

cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 544042

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:35

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:35
Lukas Hi

No I haven't had any experience with it, except looking at there web site.

But I must say it has got my interest, I like the idea of leaving the bread crumb trail for who ever is watching out for you,

price wise the unit cost $170.00 then around $150.00 per year to use which is not that much.

No I would not replace the EPIRB I own it and it's one of those things you hope you never have to use,,,

cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 544144

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:45

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:45
Lukas

The Perth HF radio EPIRM GPS supplier I use is Outbacker

Terry Clinch is Whisky 1 He's building used to be Perth base.

I'm not saying they are the best or the cheapest but I use the and I'm pretty will respected on this site... LOL

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 544148

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:49

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:49
If you get a 9505 Satphone, for $0.30 you'll be able to send an SMS to any phone - that'll be a lot more useful than where you've been - you'll be able to tell them what you plan to do.
FollowupID: 544149

Reply By: Dennis in Scotland - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 06:03

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 06:03
I much prefer the HF to a Satphone. Always able to contact someone on the HF but the Satphone does have areas where there is no reception at all.
Very important to carry some type of SatNav, bit pointless calling for help if you don't know your exact location. Epirb is a last resort!
Don't be too put off about using the HF, very simple, basically if you can use a 2 way you can use these.
Can't work out how to contact you, Lukas but I have one in WA you can use for your trip if you want it.
Cheers,

AnswerID: 280214

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 17:26

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 17:26
G'day Dennis,

well, try to contact me here: travel4lukas@yahoo.de

looking forward to hearing from u - lukas
FollowupID: 544503

Sponsored Links