Callawa Road, Pilbara

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 21:53
ThreadID: 6032 Views:2721 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I'd let you all know that we did actually do this trek a couple of weeks ago and back home now. Three cars & only 3 punctures.
It was a really interesting exercise in that the track had only been used by one other vehicle this season and was extremely overgrown in parts,like 2m high.
Luckily I had planned it all on Oziexplorer before leaving and many times we were going solely by GPS.
It wont be long before it will be impossible to push your way thru the scrub & watch for the washouts. Was great to be able to see a bit of history that is fast disappearing.

Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:19
Where is Callawa road Bigbear ?Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25246

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:01

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:01
Goes from Sandfire Roadhouse to Marble Bar. There's some trek notes on this site somewhere done by Goranso many places, so little time !!!
FollowupID: 17095

Reply By: Goran - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 00:43

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 00:43
It is great to hear that. I wrote track note about this track. Did you search for caves in the Callawa ranges?
AnswerID: 25256

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:04

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:04
Saw a few caves rightnear the track but didn't do a lot of foot work as time was a bit limited. Also saw 3 camels near the hills and everyone got more interested in them.
Thanks for the trek notes they were a real help and are what promted me to go in the first place.Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
FollowupID: 17149

Reply By: Goran - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 00:45

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 00:45
Did you find water bore and the old airport?
AnswerID: 25257

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:10

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:10
Goran

We found the old airstrip, I have a pilot license, so this was one thing I wanted to see. Really overgrown with metre high termites nest all over it. The wind sock pole looked a bit forlorn but still had the ring on it. Also found lots of bores along the track, mostly 6" PVC some capped ,some open and some destroyed by fire. One thing I did notice was the FX markers where in the right places but had different numbers to what you put in the notes???? Don't understand this???Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
FollowupID: 17150

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:35

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:35
myself and several others will be tackling this track in a few weeks.
Good news on the puncture frontso many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 25262

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:36

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:36
Coukd you give me some feedback on this track Allyn ? Planing a trip to the Kimblys next year and was going to look at that track on the way up .Where do you live in the Pilbara ? We lived in Port Hedland for 10.5 years , left in 89 . Coming up ( i think ) in march for a big swim meet . Also be there in about 3 to 4 weeks . Going out to Rudel , and back up to old Goldsworthy ( spent 2.5 years there befor the Port . You can e,mail me at forge@avon.net.au . I,ll have Member Peter (york) with me also a cuple of others .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 17147

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:08

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:08
will be in touch soon .
Me = Port Hedland last 5 years.
Old Goldsworthy doesn't exist either and nothing to see out there.so many places, so little time !!!
FollowupID: 17212

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 16:02

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 16:02
We,ll be leaving here in 2 weeks today and be away for 3 to 4 weeks ,so leave it till then could you please . I know theres nothing left at Goldsworthy , but id still like to visit . Be nice to catch up with you next march when we are there .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 17222

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 15:51

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 15:51
These trips are great aren't they - more of a challenge.

In '97 we did a trip following a track that was mapped but heavily overgrown and washed out in places. In places it was hardly visble as it obviously hadn't been used for a few years. The trip was from Nullagine to Rudall River NP. We went east past Wandanya Stn, Davis R, Christies Crossing, Bocrabee Hill (read the notes in a bottle hanging in a tree nearby), Meeting Gorge, Hanging Rock and then into the NP. Spent a few days at Kalkan Kalkan RH - beautiful spot. If you go to Rudall R check out Tjingkulatjatjarra Pool, Currun Currun RH and Hanging Rock a few of the great places to visit.

On that trip we also went to Carawine Gorge (before the "highway" was put in east of MB) another breathtaking spot.

I'm getting itchy feet !Colin - Subaru Forester
AnswerID: 25302

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:05

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 19:05
Carawine is a far cry from the great spot it used to be but still worth a visit all the sameso many places, so little time !!!
FollowupID: 17141

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:20

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:20
Colin
When we reached the Woodie Woodie Rd we went east to Carrawine Gorge and suprisingly there was no one there ( It was our 2nd visit) thenn went on to the Skull Springs RD to Nullagine. I reckon this has got to be the best road in WA for a fun drive. It just follows the natural contour of the land and bends and dips in some very surprising places.
Spent the nignt at Running waters, a beautiful spot.

Last year came up the CSR to well 23 then into Rudall River then Telfer and Carrawine Gorge. I really love this part of the country, far enough away to only get the serious few.
Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
FollowupID: 17151

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:43

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:43
Another trip you may be interested in, is one from Jigalong Mission to Cannings Cairn. We did this in 2001, a permitt is required, but the community is interested in having 'tourists' visit and they sell fuel (although they ran out of ULP they morning we arrived, even after we had rang the previous arvo !) From Durba down the CSR (via Calvert Ra. ) to Well 5 and then west to Carnarvon Ra and out to Hwy via Neds Creek.

Carnarvon Ra is a great spot with a lot of Aboriginal art

I passed the trip notes on to Hema - they have maped them recently (and got stuck near Savoury Ck, it had rained). Hopefully they will be on a map soon?

NB. all these trips are in Subarus !Colin - Subaru Forester
AnswerID: 25344

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:11

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:11
you blokes all seem to know the area pretty well. What can you tell me about Gary Junction Road. Looking at the shortest route from Port Hedland to Alice Springs next year and that seems to be the one.so many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 25392

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 10:09

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 10:09
Allyn
Haven't been out to Gary Jnctn so can help you on that one.
Did you get out the Callawa Track yet. Going N to S did you take the left or right track from near the airstrip? We went on the RH track which joins up at the homested. Maybe that is why it was a bit more difficult than Gorans trip notesBush Bappo's 4WD Club
FollowupID: 18802

Reply By: Greg - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:13

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:13
I have visited that area twice in the last 12 months the last trip was in June this year with two 4wds and two 4wd motorbikes we explored the area around the hills north of Callawa Homestead. This is beautifull country with interesting rock formations and mineral deposits. Wildlife is scarce out there excepting birds which can get to the small water holes in the area. We made a short home movie in 2002 on the track thru to the Kidson track. Expensive weekend with 8 tyres being destroyed on two vehicles in one day.
AnswerID: 27250

Sponsored Links