Ipaq HX4700 owners

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52
ThreadID: 70197 Views:4393 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All,

I have a Ipaq HX4700 that I run Oziexplorer and TomTom on and it does a great job, big screen etc BUT the internal rechargeable Varta V6HR NiMh battery (called the backup battery in the error messages) has thrown in the towel after 4 years

I googled and you can't get one in Aus, but in the US and UK landed and at my doorstep for about $75 Aus. Now that's almost worth getting but that's ALMOST. I found a ebay seller thru a friend at HP who was selling them for $20 free delivery, but I also tracked down a mob called Farnell who had them, listed at $3.85 each. Trap was that they didn't have any Aus stock and had to get them from UK.

Anyhow I rang Farnell and they told me my order had to be at least $10 and they charged $10 delivery fee for up to 10 kg. So I just ordered some AA batteries and got the lot delivered.

I just wanted to ay that Farnell were great to deal with, they only charge one delivery fee, even though the Varta battery came in separate post. They were a great company to deal with and I would like to recommend them wholeheartedly.

This isnt an ad for Farnell, I have no affiliation with them, but it IS a great source of information for HX4700 owners whose backup batteries die on them.

All the Bonziest best.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:05

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:05
Bonz
I have a Tom Tom 500 with an upgrade map I paid $135 for and in Sydney it is useless as it is nowhere near correct with the updates.
So I paid for an old hat update.
I was recently in Sydney and it sent me the wrong way on several occasions and appeared to revert to tollway more than I would have liked taking me on and off and costing more money than necessary.

Now without the whinging do you run it seperate or in conjunction with the Ipaq and Ozieexplorer or was that just to mention all gear.

I would like to upgrade or add and as this is not my field of knowledge then I need assistance from people in the know.

Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 372075

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:08

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:08
I run it in parallel usually with my Garmin and feed the gps data from the garmin to the Ipaq running TomTom, but I have a bluetooth GPS too and run it separately. If I think I am going the wrong way, I just drive on and let it recalc.

What I have found is that it will always get you there, it may just take a longer route

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639339

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 13:08

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 13:08
Bugger me that sounds like getting a train from central to paramatta and getting on and off at every station in between thinking you have arrived.

It looks like I had better do some homework and see if I can get the express instead of the paper train.

Might be bettrer to follow No 1's advice and get a compass the same as Geoff.

Ian
AnswerID: 372078

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 14:27

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 14:27
Ian,

You used to be able to buy the Tomtom software separately and install it on a PDA, etc. Now very hard to obtain as Tomtom are "encouraging" folk to buy the complete unit.

Reading different comments it would appear that there may be different maps for different models of the Tomtom models.

I use a Tomtom 720 GO and must say that I have found it very accurate, at least in my region. Map updates are a continuous process as feedback on road changes and additions from users are sent to the Tomtom group.

I also have CoPilot on the PDA which also runs OziExplorer, but I find using two separate devices for two separate functions suits me better. The PDA is mainly used for recording tracks and waypoints when travelling and having a map display that constantly "moves".

Tomtom navigation is still more up to date than the CoPilot navigation, even though I upgraded to CoPilot 8 a few months ago.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 639344

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 15:42

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 15:42
hahaah if you dont know where you are going you will always get to the destination

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639352

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 15:25

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 15:25
Hi Bill
I went on line through Tom Tom home and it told me I had version 1 and the new one was version 3 so I paid and upgraded.

I was looking to see if I could do a fast trip to Blackall Hospital to see someone before I lose them altogether.

I could keep warm on the way I know when there is some firewood at St George but dont tell Kev.

Since replying to Bonz I have gone onto the maps in explore Oz to see if I can learn more and I logged in to do Smiths Lake NSW to Tambo Qld and it took me out of my way with a route that would add 150Ks to the trip so it appears that there are updates needed no matterwhat you use.

The Tom Tom 500 ran me down to Newcastle and then out to Moree where the exploreoz one sent me to Wauchope and up the Oxley and then the New England and back down though Glen Innes to Moree.

The quickest way from here is via the Buckets way to Gloucester and over the tops to Tamworth and from Tamworth through Manilla to Warialda and then Moree.

Ive been thinking that I would go to a laptop with better maps but it appears that is not as good an option as I thought.

So it leads me to believe plot a course on a paper map and head off and only use the Tom Tom for the blue tooth phone connect to save on fines.

Ian

Thanks for your input.
Ian
AnswerID: 372090

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:08

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:08
I have a HX2490 with the 3.7v 1440maH pack and have always found it crap, even from new it never has held charge well, charge it up and dont use it for a few days and it drops into the low 30's or lower % charge remaining without any use after harge but it is not the only one,others i know have similar issues with this model. and yes Farnell's are very efficient,this is where we get some components or eproms we have trouble sourcing from bigger mobs like RS components(not called RS for nothing LOL)
AnswerID: 372098

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:41

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:41
Hi Paul,

The battery I replaced was about 4 mm diameter, not the bigger battery pack. I always run the PDA off external power in the car as the battery just runs down too fast.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639372

Reply By:- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:17

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:17
Bonz,
Seeing as you've taken the time to share this info I thought I respond in kind.

Thanks for that bit of very useful information. I've filed it. I too run with a HX4700 running OziExplorer and Tom Tom, but mainly with Ozi. I used to use a CF GPS but moved to a GlobalSat BT338 GPS. which was a far more satisfactory arrangement. Several months ago I was having trouble with the plug on the PDA to the extent that I couldn't link to the PC to run Activesync which was tolerable because I just used bluetooth but eventuall I coudn't even recharge the unit which is catastrophic because no charge-no PDA.

Try as I might I couldn't find anyone who could or would repair the unit so I thought that was it. After a couple of months I bought a Garmin Nuvi 255w but that doesn't run Ozi so it was ok but not as good as having the PDA up and running. Then by pure fluke I happened upon a mob in Bentleigh East called who said they would have a look. The part cost $7.50 and to inspect and repair the unit was $100. On top of that I bought a new battery for $40. I thought that was good value as the PDA is as good as new. I no longer run with Tom Tom on the PDA as the Garmin does the close in work while Ozi does the remote stuff.

I am not affilitaed the shop either but as I had so much trouble getting this contact I thought I'd share that info.

Communication Clinic
910 North Rd, Bentleigh East
Vic
03-95637333

WBS

AnswerID: 372101

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:43

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:43
THAT is what this exchange is about, I have the BT338 too great unit.

I always thoguht if the battery died then so would the PDA so this contact is excellent, thanx.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639373

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:04

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:04
Bonz,
The battery dying was an added highlight. You can buy the battery easily over the internet but as I was there and they could also supply it was just easier.

The BT338 is a great GPS, quick to acquire a signal and good in difficult terrain. I did contemplate getting a BlueTooth Slipper that converts my Haicom CF GPS to Bluetooth but opted for the BT338. I'm glad I did but now I've got this very good Haicom CF GPS gathering dust.

WBS
FollowupID: 639419

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:15

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:15
Hi Bonz.
Thks for the info, very timely. We have the same set up and the back up battery died just recently. Is this the one you ordered. Farnell

John
AnswerID: 372153

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:45

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:45
yep thats the one

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639477

Reply By: Stu-k - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:35

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:35
I have a HX 4700 just sitting around, what did it cost roughly to set it up for gps use? Cheaper just to buy a gps unit isn't it?

cheers
AnswerID: 372170

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:47

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:47
well I had the ozi software already and the GPS (BT338) cost around $100 but its the screen size thats a purler. iF YOU DONT WANT THE hx4700 i CAN SEND U MY ADDRESS ;0)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639478

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:35

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:35
Not using it and haven't done in quite some time, if you want to make an offer for it.
FollowupID: 639483

Reply By: bgreeni - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 19:40

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 19:40
Was fitting the battery easy. I have read that the battery is soldered in so never tried replacing mine. It some times shows the backup as flat, other times 100%. Yet to work out any pattern but figure I will need to replace it soon.

AS stated, HP4700 with blue tooth GPS running OxiCE is a great system. Only problem is shortage of internal memory. I know that HP have finally bought out a unit that looks like a replacement for the 4700 after a long time with no one making a replacement unit.
AnswerID: 372238

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 16:42

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 16:42
I fould a pdf file on the net that showed me exactly how to do it. All you really need is the right size torx screwdriver and follow the iinstructions. If you reply with your email I will send it to you. I wont be near the PC with it on it for a couple weeks but will get it to you.

Regards

Bonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639896

Reply By: bgreeni - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 15:56

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 15:56
Much appreciated - email
bgreeni@yahoo.com
AnswerID: 372927

Sponsored Links