Spur of the moment Tassie trip!

Submitted: Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:28
ThreadID: 75868 Views:3747 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
we have been on the road now for about 11 days of our 9 month trip and have arrived in Melbourne ,we left SYD and did the coastal drive and decided to check out the Spirit which was comming in last night at 6pm...WELL that was an expensive exersise as we intended to start heading accross to WA ,but now have bought 4 tickets and we will be taking the 2 boys and the caravan to Tassie,I was not prepared for this trip and I have untill sunday to do my research and buy anything for the 2 week trip ,would anyone know how safe it is to free camp over there as there seems to be a huge amount of vans and motor homes going on the ship yesterday and to be honest this was not budgeted for and some free camping will help the pocket ,my kids already know the cadbury factory is there so Im a little worried LOL!

Regards John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:49

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:49
Mate, free camping is great in Tassie. A lot of the smaller towns will let you camp on their showgrounds overnight as long as your fully self contained. There's a National Parks office on the boat so you can get all the info you need from there. Pick up a 1 month park pass which covers entry to all national parks.

Sorry to say the Cadbury factory tour is nothing like it used to be. The WH&S nazi's have closed the actual tour so all you can do is visit the retail outlet..

There's a book called "Camping Guide to Tasmania" by Boiling Billy Publications which lists all the free camping places. This site sells it but it's currently out of stock.

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 403219

Reply By: landed eagle - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:57

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:57
Hi John.
The Cadbury chocolate factory tour is now a pale imitation of what it used to be. Have been told that it now basically involves being shown a video and than you are herded through the shop section.
I did it once about 25 years ago and it was great. Took my kids about 5 years ago and it was disappointing. Was told by a fellow vanner over xmas not to bother with the tour anymore ........but definitely visit the shop for all the cheap seconds!!! :)
There is a caravan park about 10 mins drive away back towards Hobart.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/outdoor_activities/camping

http://www.campingtasmania.com/

http://www.around-oz.com/lifestyle_mh/campsite/index.htm

Most of the free camp areas in Tas tend to be in out of the way places.Two weeks will only scratch the surface over here.
Take it easy on the roads. Many of them still require a lot of maintainance after the big rains Sept,Oct,Nov last year. Also a bit of smoke about too from a few fires.

cheers, Paul.
AnswerID: 403220

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 09:36

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 09:36
We are in Tassie now and some roads look like they haven't had maintenance done since settlement, or the early 1800's. When ever the convicts stopped.
Other than that after 3 months there is still a lot to see.

neil
FollowupID: 672704

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 09:17

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 09:17
Tassie has some of the best free camping anywhere and you will never feel safer. The "camps Australia 5" books is invaluable for this info. Of the top of my head here are a few.
*Lake Barrington- south of Devonport. Excellent spot to camp near water
*Gowrie park- south of Sheffield near lake barrington-great spot near bush walks and small creek
*Marrawah(green point)-north west coast on ocean. Amazing spot right on beach. can be a bit windy at times but worth a stop
*Arthur river has a fee of around $10 a night or $40 a week but is definitely worth stopping at. The fishing of the rocks at the mouth of the river can be awesome.
*Westbury-Between Devonport and Launceston. Behind "Andys Bakery" $2 per night for adults kids free. Bakery open 24 hrs a day.
*Chain lagoons- Half way between St Helens and Bicheno on the east coast. Near beach good spot. No water so take your own.
*Kempton-About 1 hr north of hobart on the way from Launceston. Good spot, power and water. Pay by gold coin donation.
*Hamilton- about 1 hr north west of Hobart on the way to Strahan. Top spot, free bbq and power in shelter, showers $1 dollar
*Lake Burbury- Near Queenstown. In the carpark on the lake shore.
*Macquarie head-South of strahan. $8 dollars a night. Road in is a little rough but ok. Great spot on the beach, camp among the dunes.
Hope this helps. You won't find a safer place to free camp. All prices quoted are as we know but may have changed!!!
A couple of things worth doing IMHO would be Tasmazia not far from Lake Barrington, also the murals in Sheffield. Tahune air walk near Geevston in the south. Any of the water falls or caves. Tassy devil park near port arthur. Port Arthur is expensive but I think it is worth it but will take a full day to do.
Hope you enjoy your stay

Josh
AnswerID: 403226

Follow Up By: Member - Humff(TAS) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 19:00
Agree to all of the above one place I would suggest as a must see is "The Wall" if you google 'the Wall" I am sure you will find it It is on the way between the west coast and Hobart about a couple of ks south of Derwnt Bridge. It is jaw dropping
FollowupID: 672770

Reply By: signman - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:32

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:32
"seems to be a huge amount of vans and motor homes going on the ship yesterday"
Yup- all heading for the Annual CMCA rally just out of Launceston. I can guarantee you'll be seeing a heap more Motorhomes and the like as you travel around.
We're off March 2- and back a month later !!

AnswerID: 403236

Follow Up By: Member - T N (Qld) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:48

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:48
You are right there Signman,
Free camps are hard to find at the moment with theCMCA bus'es around,
the less exspensive van parks are the way to go.

Unless you want remote camping?
FollowupID: 672819

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:55

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:55
The biggest problem will be that 2 weeks won't be enough.
Tassie is a fantastic place and easily require 3 months to do it justice.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403238

Reply By: RodnSue - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:42

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:42
John
if you have convict ancestors ( as I do) check out Campbell Town if you have time. We went through this little town late Feb 2004, just after the unveiling of the "Convict Trail". Am not sure if the "convict trail" became an established tourist attraction as the creator intended, but may at least be a history lesson for your 2 boys. My family has 3 bricks side by side from convict ancestors who arrived in Tas 1830's.
Enjoy your trip in Tassie
cheers Sue
AnswerID: 403249

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:49

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:49
And don't forget the town of Ross - not mentioned as much as Campbelltown but it's got lots of history as well (including the bridge that you'll often see photos of). There is a nice little (& clean) camping area/caravan park just near the river (a very short stroll from the bridge) - it's not quite free camping, but wasn't far off (I think we paid $2/person/night in 2002/03).
FollowupID: 672738

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:18

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:18
Hi John. We did Tassie 18 months ago and loved it. We only had 2 weeks to do it and we did 3500k's in that 2 weeks, and seen heaps. But there was alot we didnt see too though. We has an absolute ball and are going back at the end of the year, but for longer. We free camped for the 2 weeks and loved it. So many good spots over there. One good one was at McQuarie Heads, just out of Strahan. We camped right on the beach and it was great. Speak to Josh (Tas), I know he will be only too happy to help with place too see. (And he likes a beer too apparently)
Karen.
AnswerID: 403254

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:00

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:00
Hi John

We spent seven weeks having a quick look around Tasmania in 2006 and absolutely loved it. We free camped most of the time, and Tasmanian towns are way above most of the big island at realising that providing nice free camps and people will stay which benefits the businesses in town. Prime beach free camps on the north east coast around St Helens. Most designated free camps have pit toilets but nothing else. If fully self contained, you can also camp at the hydro-electricity lakes/dams, and there are lots of those; big and small.

We had Camps Australia Wide 3 at the time, and needed it to find the camps as the terrain of Tassie means you can't readily find a spot to pull off the road. We also had Boiling Billy for Tasmania, but Camp had way more in it, so BB was a waste of time.

Can you extend your two weeks? I'm sure you will want to. We met people who had booked four weeks, and they kept on extending. It is costly to get there and back, so best to make the most of it.

As a non member, i don't think you can access my Blogs on this site.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403268

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:47

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:47
Hi Motherhen,

You are correct, a non member cannot access your blogs. I remember much frustration before I joined not being able to check them out!

Have read a few since then though, great stuff!

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 672784

Reply By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:20

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:20
Hi all,
thank you all so much for your replies my wife and I were reading with much interest,we are getting so excited about the trip the boys want to see a wild tassie devil LOL! I told them we might have to go to a zoo for that one but we might see a tassie tiger LOL!!! we were told that there is a night tour of a jail and its a heap of fun so that's on the cards as long as it don't scare the kids.
I'm not sure what is on down there as in events but what is this CMCA I cant remember what it was called to be honest LOL as my wife is a little worried we wont be able to free camp at all ,I said it depends how long it goes for, I would love to be able to meet other caravanners so I hope it is still on?
as for my membership I'm not sure what's going on as I thought I was still a paid up member so I sent an E/M to David and am waiting on a reply as I have just changed E/M and thought it may have something to do with it.

Well thanks all once again and I will be watching this post very close,as always you guys are a great help.

Regards John and Family.

AnswerID: 403378

Sponsored Links