Adelaide to Darwin

Submitted: Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 22:44
ThreadID: 77961 Views:3313 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Team,
We are doing a trip from Adelaide to Darwin and back at the end May to June (5 weeks). We will be a single vehicle with a off-road camper trailer. We are currently looking at taking in the Rock and surrounding areas (5 days) and Kakadu (3 days) on the way up and Oodnadatta track (3 days) on the way back.
Does anyone have any tracks notes, itinery, camp shots or advice for this trip as I know that the time is short?

Cheers
Hoges
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:08
Not all of it Hoges, but my Blogs from 2008 cover the area around Alice Springs including Kings Canyon and Uluru-Kata Tjuta. Other highlights were the Desert Park in Alice Springs and the East and West MacDonnells. We spend five weeks in the area.

Last year we went north from Alice Springs, including spending eight days going through Kakadu and three days touring Litchfield NP. Other highlights included Bitter Springs at Mataranka, Katherine Gorge and Edith Falls and Douglas Hot Springs.Blogs still in the making.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 414090

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:13

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:13
I'm with Motherhen's recommendations. I'd add the Devil's marbles. Try to organize your travelling to spend overnight there and be up early to watch the light on the rocks at sunrise.
Have some goggles or a swim mask at Bitter Springs and have a bit of a look under that crstal clear water while you waft along in the warm current.
AnswerID: 414091

Reply By: zigdog - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:50

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:50
Hi,

Jim Jim falls (nice spot for a night) and Douglas hot Springs (the camping at the roadhosue a few km's away is nice too, by the river)
AnswerID: 414097

Follow Up By: dirttracker - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:25

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:25
If you stay at Douglas Hot Springs make sure that you do stay at the springs for some, I would recommend all, of the time. It is extra special to lie in the water of the creek with the two currents, hot and cold mixing together as they pass you by. It is tempting to spend all day in the water! This is a highlight of the area.
Martin
FollowupID: 684327

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 20:10

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 20:10
Yes, Douglas Hot Springs National Parks camp was a real highlight. We stayed an extra day just because we enjoyed it so much.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684389

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:08

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:08
Hoges,

All the above and I would add a few more

Drive the loop through The Breakaways, just north of Coober Pedy
Rainbow valley off the hwy not far south of Alice
Painted Desert, SW of Oodnadatta
Chambers Pillar
Fink Gorge NP, SW of Alice
Palm Valley
Litchfield NP SW of Darwin

A suggestion - we find that once you've turned around and are heading home that simply going home takes precedence and seeing the sights becomes secondary. For that reason, it may be better to take in the off-the-highway exploring on your way north, rather than on your return. Maybe travel north from Oodnadatta through Fink, Chambers Pillar, Hugh River Stock Route, Fink Gorge NP, Palm Valley, Uluru...... and go into Alice from the west....

Another thought - Kakadu deserves more than 3 days.

HTH

J and V
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 414105

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:53

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:53
I would allow a lot longer for Kakadu, 3 days is just not enough. As said, IF, I'll say again IF the road in to Jim Jim/Twin Falls is open this is well worth a visit and for us a walk up on to the Plateau above Twin falls is an absolute must, leave very early and the walk will be more enjoyable, as always carry plenty of water. Not only are the views great you will probably have the place to yourselves, take your bathers as it is quite safe to swim, one of the few places! Also visit Gunlom falls and do the climb to the top of the falls,15-20 minute walk(take bathers again + your lunch, same for twin falls).
Enjoy!
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414114

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:27

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:27
Here is a different approach:

Make no plans at all. Just head off and stop whenever you fancy.

Some places you might decide that you want to come back and spend a week sometime. Others you might decide that you have done as much as interests you in one day.. then hit the road again.

It's actually not as big a deal as you might think. From Adelaide you can do this trip whenever you can get a few weeks free.

Why not make up a list of 'maybes' so that you are aware of what might be there and as you approach you make the decision as to whether you pick up this or that sight.

One thing.... I'd jump on bikes and ride into Simpson't Gap from Alice Springs. Nice day out.

Cheers
AnswerID: 414124

Reply By: Hoges (SA) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:45

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:45
Thanks All, Have a lot of good ideas and will plot them and see how we go as there is always next time, again thanks (this is a good site)
AnswerID: 414127

Reply By: Wontok - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 16:07

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 16:07
Try the Binns Track from Alice Springs to Oodnadatta and check out Old Andado Station
AnswerID: 414139

Reply By: Chipsy - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 19:34

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 19:34
one of the most fun things we did was take a small side trip (the sign said 12ks but it was a bit further) from the road to Finke near the start (or finnish) of the Oodnadatta track to the goegraphical centre of australia.

I dont know what it was so good but it was fun to know we were right in the middle of everything. theres a guest book to sign.

AnswerID: 414158

Sponsored Links