Now where do we go?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:02
ThreadID: 96147 Views:2408 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Retirement is finally here, and house sold. Will be hooking up the new Penguin Outback behind our ARB kitted-up Navara and heading out from Townsville for 6 weeks starting mid-September. Problem is which way to go, South, West, or North. Short of throwing a dart at a map we are at a loss where to go taking into consideration the time of year and the 6 week time-line, before setting up house in a new location, most likely Bundaberg. We have been following Camper Trailer magazine as well as this forum and now totally confused as to which direction to take. Suggestions for routes would be greatly appreciated, especially taking into account the season.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:52

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:52
Gday Thumper
After much talk and careful consideration, Lil' Wes and I think you and your lovely wife should head east.But you will need a snorkel.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488080

Follow Up By: thumper-darryl - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:54

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:54
Navara has a snorkel.
FollowupID: 763293

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:18

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:18
Hi Thumper,
Where have you been before? If there a few spots (relatively close together) you really like, you could re visit them and once you're settled into the new house do an extended trip or 3. Sounds like you have a fairly permanent setup with vehicle and camper.

Rob
AnswerID: 488091

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:14

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:14
Better take the flippers as well, I think you might need them. Enjoy your new life and instead of trying to work out which way to go, just go........

All the best
Merv/Di
FollowupID: 763302

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:58

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:58
Don't go west young man, go south-west, Thumper.

Come to Winton, see the dinosaurs etc, then Boulia, some Min Min lights, then south to Bedourie, Birdsville & into South Australia.

Days might be a bit warm, but nights will still be cool, and you wouldn't have to put up with the rising humidity up in the tropics. Oh, you said you came from Townsville, so that shoudn't worry you.

Just go, and good trip,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488096

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:44

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:44
As loath as i am to reply seeing I believe you CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

As a shakedown for 6 weeks , why not go across to Mt Isa, then Three ways , then make your way up to Katherine, swim in the Mataranka hot springs, visit Katherine Gorge and do 5 gorges., swim in the Katherine hot springs,.
From there to Kakadu and into Gunlom Falls, then up to the lakes and go on the sunrise or sunset cruise, go on the trip to Ubir and visit Twin Falls .

Then up to Darwin and visit Litchfield, and swim in Bewley rockholes , and the other falls.
Nearly all this is bitumin, with a few dirt roads into twin falls and Gunlom.

By the time you have done all this it will be a good introduction to your rig and what is good and bad.

have fun and see the great things you can do in OZ.
If you then feel adventurous you could come back to Qld on the Savannah Way and visit Lawn Hill Gorge which is all dirt.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 488125

Follow Up By: thumper-darryl - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 02:33

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 02:33
Thanks. We will check out the places you suggest. We have not really seen much of this beautiful country other than within a couple hundred ks of Townsville, as well as flying to Sydney and Melbourne.
FollowupID: 763337

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:19

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:19
If you could head off a bit earlier you could head down to the Birdsville races for starters or the Bedourie races are on the 7-8 Sept.

There's the Qld Events calender and that could give you a couple of ideas.

Do you have any friends that might like a couple of visitors? If so, that could give you a direction to head and figure ot out from there.

It's a big country and you can see lot in six weeks.

Have fun,
Steve
AnswerID: 488165

Sponsored Links