Sydney, Coober Pedy, Alice Springs, Winton, Sydney, trip info required.

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:47
ThreadID: 97739 Views:2453 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am planning a trip for next May starting Sydney heading to Coober Pedy via an as yet undetermined route and then heading to Alice Springs via the Stuart Highway.
After visiting the Rock we then plan to head across to Boulia to (hopefully) see the lights and then to Winton to see dinosaur bones before heading back to Sydney via a yet to be determined route.

There will most likely be about a half dozen families doing the trip as a group and each will have a four wheel drive and towing a camper of some description.

Questions........

1. What are the likely road conditions that will be experienced?

2. What sights and experiences would you recomend that are likely to be on the chosen path or not far off?

3. Any special sights and experiences between Sydney and Coober Pedy and Winton and Sydney that would help us to determine the best route to take?

4. Two of the families have dogs that generally travel with them. Is this likely to cause any major problems anywhere?

Thanks and best wishes to all.

Ian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:12

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:12
How long do you have is an important question
Can be done in about 16 days, with only 3 days at Uluru and 2 in Alice.

Things to consider seeing
Broken Hill, could spend a week there
The Flinders could spend 3 weeks there
The Breakaways, only approx 30km NW of Coober Pedy
Painted Desert 2-3 hours NE of Coober Pedy
Kings Canyon full day
West Mac ranges, there's another week at least and week in east Mac Ranges
Diamantina Lakes NP
Longreach Qantas Museum and Stockman's Hall of Fame,
Head over to Canaravon Gorge from Longreach for something just as good as the Blue Mountains

Dogs I would have thought are banned at all National Parks including Uluru, but then Traditional Owners have their mutts. Kings Canyon and Diamantina Lakes NP would also be banned.

Roads, bitumen all the way to Uluru if you need it. Road between Kings Canyon and West Macs can be a bit rough. Plenty Highway varies, but on my one trip on it I found it as a comfortable 80-100km/hr whilst towing. You could go the long way round via the 3 Ways and do the entire trip on bitumen.

Have a look at Mother Hen's numerous blogs for some great detail.

You won't see it all, just concentrate on seeing some things properly and in a relaxed manner.
AnswerID: 493917

Follow Up By: Mazdan - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:19

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:19
Cheers Mark, much appreciated.

The time factor is as yet undetermined but I was thinking probably a month.
I figure its sposed to be a holiday and I dont really want to be driving myself into the ground everyday.

looking for Mother Hens blogs right now.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 769560

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:15

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:15
Hmmm..a bit to cover here..firstly..road conditions..could be anything..no.one can
predict them that far out.
Perhaps you need to establish a route to Coober Pedy..as there are several..sealed
to remote. Personally, I would leave it out..we were completely underwhelmed with the place.
My suggestion would be..Broken Hill..Peterborough..north via Flinders Ranges to
Maree..Oodnadatta Track to Marla..across to Uluru..Kings Canyon..Meereenie loop to Alice via Hermansburg & Palm Valley. East to Trephina Gorge etc..north to Plenty
Hwy..Boulia..Winton & home via Bourke.
Now that is just one of any amount of options.
Yes, dogs will be a problem..mainly with National Parks..they wont have them.
Your choices are endless, but that may give you some food for thought.
cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 493918

Follow Up By: Mazdan - Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:26

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 at 13:26
Thanks Baz,

Each of the families were asked to nominate one or two things or places they really wanted to see or do and one of those that came back was visiting Coober Pedy so its in.

Have not established a clear route as nobody came back with specific suggestions for that part of the trip hence the reason Im asking so I can take suggestions back to the group for there consideration which would then determine the route.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Ian.
FollowupID: 769561

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 14:32

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 14:32
Ian,

We went across the Plenty about 12 months ago, on way to Yulara, to see a daughter that was working there. As said, the Plenty can be quite variable, but we were able to maintain 90-100 km easily. Stopped at Jervous for an ice cream, and a yarn, and stayed the night at Gemtree 'Van park. Not a green lawns and shrubby type park, but we found it good. Err....shower early if you stay there.

Some magic views of Harts Range as you travel along, and plenty(no pun intended!) of Kodak moments. We didn't stay long in the Alice. Bit depressing after seeing it 40 years ago!!!

Mt Connor is worth stopping for, at the viewing site.....even more photogenic than the Rock, I reckon. Use the long drop toilets there, at your peril. Jeeeez, were they smelly!!! Grossly over utilised.

We preferred the Olgas, and did a Valley of Winds walk, as well stopping at the viewing spot, where from a high sandhill, you get magic views of Olgas from the south, and also back to the Rock. Friendly Crested Pidgeons at the parking bay, will graciously accept a drink of water, if you offer it to them.

At Boulia, the Min Min Centre is worth viewing and the 'van park is green and well supported. Good drive to Winton, through some good scenery, especially at the Cawnpore Hills. There's a spot to stop, and do the Kodak thing. Good camp at the rest area, just on east side of Poddy Creek. About 90kms from Winton.Toilets there and a shelter shed.

When in Winton, be sure to see Waltzing Matilda Centre(and the excellent museum out the back), Corfields & Fitzmaurice shop, Searles' Outback Store, Lark Quarry dinosaur trackways(110 kms south, on Winton-Jundah road) and Australian Age of Dinosaurs, about 23km out of town. Plenty there for the kids too, and they make good coffee that you can sit and enjoy, as you admire the views back towards Winton, and across the "sweeping plains"

Longreach has Hall of Fame, Qantas Museum & evening dinner cruises on Thomson River.Barcaldine also has, if you're into Labour politics, the Workers' Heritage Centre.

Fannie Mae's Cafe is a good stop for a feed in Tambo, and you can get fuel there too. Something's playing up, so couldn't load any photos.

Hope you enjoy the trip,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 494000

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 16:24

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 16:24
Ian,

This one of the parking bay residents.

Seen it all, Done it all.