Road trip Sep - Oct 2012 Broken Hill - William Creek - Painted Desert - Yulara -

Submitted: Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:13
ThreadID: 97757 Views:1952 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are going on our first big road trip in the next few weeks, and would like to get some info on places not to miss that are family friendly and good value for money. Also some campsites that are free or very cheap that has a toilet.
Has anyone been on the oodnadatta track and road from Painted Desert back to Sturt Highway lately? What condition is it in?
What condition are the gravel roads like around Kings Canyon and Palm Valley?
Below is our itinery so far:

Cowra to Broken Hill: Menindee, Silverton. Stay at Penrose Park.

Between Parachilna & Lyndhurst: Need a free camp site that has a toilet?

William Creek: Flight over lake Eyre. Stay at camping spot in William Creek Pub.

Painted Desert: camp at Arckringa Homestead.

Yulara: Camp at Resort, Olgas and Rock walks.

Kings Canyon: Camp somewhere nearby do canyon walk.

Palm Valley: camp

Alice springs: Via the Gorges etc. Camel farm? Staying at?

Devils Marbles: Ufo centre

Mt Isa: Undergroung hospital, Fossil centre, Staying?

Winton: Dinosaur Stampede. Staying?

Longreach: Stockmans hall of fame. Staying?

Lightning Ridge: Artesian Baths, Opal mine. Staying?

Home to Cowra area.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - WM3B - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 21:23

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 21:23
How old are your children? We did very similar first part of your trip in July this year until Alice Springs with 3 boys aged 6, 8 and 9 years using a tent. We did alot of bush camping. Are you hoping to stick to the main roads as there is heaps to see if you divert a little. The Painted Desert was one of my favourite spots and the road from it to the Stuart Hwy coming out at Cadney Park was no problem. We did sections of the Oodnadatta Track and no problems in July.
Are you going to Coober Pedy also? The Visitor info centre has a great activity book for kids based on the area as does the Yulara campground.
Finke Gorge is beautiful (4wd track) and my other favourite spot.
This was our first 'big' trip - we saw lots of wildlife which was a hit with the kids and us! Have fun, Wendy
AnswerID: 494043

Follow Up By: Alf n Kat Family - Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 18:09

Sunday, Sep 02, 2012 at 18:09
Hi Wendy,

Our kids ages are 13,11,9 and 4. The two older are girls and two younger are boys.
We are at the moment planning to stick to main roads as we are worried about being on our own with no other vehicle with us, but that may change as that adventurous spirit kicks in! We will have a UHF with us.

We live on a dirt road so that does'nt bother us. Our only possible issue is that our camper isn't officially a "off road" trailer. But we are making sure that it is up for the challenge. It has already been in some challenging places!

We have a current camps book, but I was wondering if there were campsites that have toilets but are not stated in the camps book? Pit toilets? as we are not going to take our own. I guess behind a bush is always appropriate!

What is the road like to the Finke Gorge? I heard it was a bit rough and almost a goat track in parts?

Thanks,
Katrina.
FollowupID: 769770

Sponsored Links