Road house toilets

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 14:52
ThreadID: 110751 Views:6524 Replies:30 FollowUps:39
This Thread has been Archived
Hi in today's local Broken Hill news paper a artificial regarding the use and abuse of some of the road houses in this area .

on Average most motorists do respect the loos they say it is the odd one or two who make a mess

So as most of you who travel this amazing country think of the road house rest rooms for example

Should they say customers only

Should they expect some payment

Or should is be for every one on the hwy who needs the loo

Or if you do not need fuel say 50cents fee ( I accept that there is a cost to providing a service to the public )

quote from my dear departed mum " a Bean is a Bean but a Pee is a relief "

what do you thin

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:12

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:12
I think roadhouses offering toilets is just part of their 'value adding' to a business. Without toilets on offer many would just drive past and use council toilets or bush toilets. This would mean a loss in revenue for said roadhouses. Its in their interests to supply good toilets to entice customers to stop at their business.

I also believe (correct me if you know) that any business that serves food as a dine in must supply toilets. To charge for toilets is not in the charter.

It is disappointing when the few ruin it for the many like the rubbish we see on the road side. Understanding that rubbish can be there for years so in reality there is not a lot of build up of rubbish for the amount of people on the road.

Finally I do not believe roadhouse should charge to use but should reserve the right to have key for customers only.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544319

Reply By: Mick T3 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:17
We should fill up with juice at roadhouses between towns or, at least, where we use the toilets.

However, it is so tempting to stock up at Coles and Woolworths, and use the discount vouchers at their petrol stations.

I use the government rest areas and carry a toilet seat that fits onto a frame, and use a shovel ( to dig a hole in the dirt).

At roadhouses I try to buy a meal or beer and they are much friendlier if I then ask to use the "funny business" room.

It is also interesting to watch the non-customers shrink by and the grimaces of the roadhouse owners.

I find Barrow Creek a friendly and nice roadhouse, once they realise you're a genuine customer. And the Pink Panther at Larrimah. And Fran, at Fran's Devonshire Tea House at Larrimah, has never actually tossed a knife at me, though one of my fillings fell out.
AnswerID: 544322

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:04

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:04
Mate if looks could kill there would be many in the cemetery from Fran!!!

hahahaha
FollowupID: 831429

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:30

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:30
You have to be joking in regard to Barrow creek surely, we stopped there on the way home 28 12. 2014 we spent $25 on snacks and went to use the toilet, the toilets put a whole new meaning to the word sh1t house they were disgusting, first and last time we stop there.

As for paying to use the toilet, in Europe Particularly Germany you pay for a meal at a road house you get a token to use for the cleanest toilets you will ever find, I don,t have a problem with buying something as a token gesture for using the toilet but they need to be clean.

FollowupID: 831430

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:28

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:28
Steve,

That introduces another problem to the debate.
At Barrow Creek there are always "locals" hanging around, who no doubt feel it is their right to use the conveniences in the only way they know how.
I believe it is these "locals" who turn the toilets into "sh1t houses" at places like Barrow Creek.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831460

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:23

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:23
Not this time Sand man these toilets hadn't been cleaned for months if not years, we have never seen anything like it, it was pure filth.
FollowupID: 831470

Follow Up By: Mick T3 - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:27

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:27
That's what I like about Barrow Creek. It is a dive with all kinds of weirdos and locals hanging around.

Last time I was there the bartender couldn't work the cash register so the disk money was sitting on the back counter. The bartender told me he'd charge $4 for my use of the shower then didn't bother giving me change from a $5 note.

When I asked him if the coffee sitting on the public side of the bar was self-serve he replied they weren't a charity and I'd have to pay for it, as I was going to.

When a local came in and asked the bartender for help with his car the bartender nodded to me and took my beer and put it behind the counter.

But when I came back he sold me a mug at half price and gave me a free copy of Hallet Shueard's book, "Opal"

Then there was the gyrocopter pilot offering rides until it crashed and it was discovered he didn't have a license.

Things have changed though. I remember in 1975 the locals lit a big fire outside and cooked a donkey and brewed some toxic spirit that they drank. And the toilets were blocked and the manageress told me to "use the bush"

Compared to Barrow Creek the more modern roadhouses have nothing in character with the local area.
FollowupID: 831491

Follow Up By: Mick T3 - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:36

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:36
Fran of Fran's Devonshire Tea House at Larrimah used to get billed domestic rates when she first started out, but when the billing officer, who was her opposition at the Pink Panther, told the power company to bill her commercial rates, Fran's husband went over and bust the mirrors off her car so when Fran's enemy, the Irish man across the road, saw some backpackers steal her umbrellas, he said nothing, so Fran blamed him for stealing them.

Sadly, the thin woman at the Pink Panther got too thin and was last living in a hospice in Katherin. I liked her and even, Fran, once you get to know her, isn't totally nasty, and even though she knocked out one of my fillings, it was probably a bad job from the Dentist in Alice Springs so I went to Katherin and got the dentist there to fuse my teeth together so now I talk oddly.

FollowupID: 831492

Follow Up By: Patricia R - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 00:01

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 00:01
Larrimah - what a place! We checked out the interesting museum, took a look at the sorry old croc, then entered the establishment (not sure of the name) with the intention of buying a couple of drinks, and possibly a meal. The superannuated "bar maid" was deep in discussion with another similarly aged female, and after standing there for the best part of ten minutes, and being completely, wholly and entirely ignored, we left.
FollowupID: 832438

Reply By: River Swaggie - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 16:25

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 16:25
When I was in Taupo N.Z a couple of years ago I had to pay 50c for the use of public toilet in this case it was for a number 1,number 2 was a dollar {only joking fellas lol). They were spotless.

Plus for extra you could shower and hire a towel

Sign off the times i guess.

Cheers
AnswerID: 544327

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:21

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:21
Gday
They are a great toilet block. Almost as good at the dunny in 'Kyle of lochelsh " Scotland Not sure about the spelling.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831459

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:15

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:15
I have a slightly different view of toilet usage. In my view, they arepublic toilets, you may fill your tank at one servo and not use the toilet and the next guy might use the toilet and may have filled up at the servo in the last town. Its just the way it is! When we are heading west from Sydney, sometimes we have lunch at the Lithgow McDonalds, sometimes not but we may stop to use the toilet. Sometimes lunch and toilet stops can't be planned! I have to say that about 70% of stops are run down and just not cleaned at all. Cracked tiles and 40 yo vanity basin, stained and cracked,taps worn out, the old chain pull flush from 50 years ago, never had a clean mop over the floors, just pathetic really. There can be no excuse not to have modern and clean toilets to a high standard at all servos and roadhouses. If I owned a servo or roadhouse, the first thing I would do is make sure that toilets and showers are in top condition for my patrons or passing through travellers! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 544331

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:25

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:25
They are not really public toilets, they are private toilets which the establishments provide for their patrons.
Agree sometimes you just want a pee and don't need to buy anything but would like to think in the greater scheme of things that they are an asset to help .generate income to their business rather than an overhead

Some people are filthy pigs that use them though
FollowupID: 831437

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 22:43

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 22:43
Have you ever stopped at the United servo at the turnoff to Wolgan rd ( Newnes turnoff ) ??

Been there twice....1 1/2 yrs apart.....run by the same people that most United servos are .....toilets were disgusting, paper and pi** all over the floor ( Ladies was the same )..

This race of people have no idea of hygiene , and after a 3 hr drive, we had to use the amenities ( and fill up ), but in future, we will stop in Lithgow..

As someone said, common courtesy to buy something from a servo , but if you HAVE to go, then that idea takes 2nd place !!
FollowupID: 831451

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:40

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 18:40
Should be for customers only, as should air for tyres!

AnswerID: 544333

Reply By: Ozrover - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:35

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:35
Allein,

Roadhouses, Pubs/Hotels, Caravan Parks etc... must & should provide clean, well maintained toilets... to their customers, no payment is necessary if you are patronizing the establishment.

If anyone is unwilling to patronize said establishment, if it is in the case of a roadhouse, just grab a cup of coffee or a snack, then use "Public" amenities, most towns provide them free of charge, if there are none, go in the bush, but do it properly!

Having run both Caravan Parks & pubs, then it is extremely frustrating when someone drops in "just to use the loo" most times not even asking if it was okay! If they ask then I'll usually say "yeah, fine go ahead".

It does have a cost involved maintaining & cleaning amenities, the cost is usually recovered from customers buying something, be it a beer, cup of coffee or a tank of fuel. those who don't are freeloading!

AnswerID: 544335

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:37

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 19:37
& yes, I'll be putting keypad locks on the amenities at Poochera... ;)
FollowupID: 831440

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:11

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:11
Personally I wouldn't & haven't used roadhouse facilities without either refuelling my vehicle &/or belly.
AnswerID: 544337

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:44

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:44
I,m the same mate. I believe its called common courtesy.
FollowupID: 831445

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 23:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 23:10
Done the caravan lap twice around Australia twice and some of the dirtiest toilets I’ve seen have been freebees at roadhouses and council public toilets.
The best I ever struck was toilet in New Zealand a few years back – cost a gold coin and well worth it – especially for the missus.
AnswerID: 544344

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 00:41

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 00:41
Roadhouse toilets are provided for customers not as a public service. If not refuelling and we need to use them, we always buy something like ice-creams and/or drinks or lunch.

When we toured Europe as a family in the 60s with a camper van, we gave back the portable toilet unused. There was nowhere to store it or use it in the small camper. It went outside in the rain overnight when we unfolded the beds which took up the full floor space. With short distances to travel and not the open spaces of Australia, Dad would purchase a small quantity of petrol every time someone wanted to go. Sometimes they had good clean customer toilets and other times it was just a French (squat) toilet out the back for the staff.

Some public toilets in towns in Europe had an attendant and charged a fee, others did not. Throughout UK they had penny-in-the-slot toilets.

I won't start on Asia :O

Some states have pit toilets at key highway rest areas, and by what it left at some of the others :O, there needs to be more as we have increasing numbers using our roads.

Alice Springs is one town it is hard to find a public toilet. Planning to go when fuelling, I was shocked to be told at the fuel servo they no longer had them due to abuse. Going into the CBD the ones at KMart seemed permanently locked. The only option was upstairs at Woolworths, for 50c. By the time I got there (after walking quite some way due to where we could park with the caravan) the attendant was cleaning and he called out I would have to wait a while. After all that time I dropped my 50c on the counter and said I was coming in regardless :O

In Kalgoorlie there was an attendant at the shopping centre toilets. I can't remember the fee but it made a very expensive pee.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544346

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 08:32

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 08:32
When we travelled in Turkey there would often be an attendant to collect a fee/ donation to use the toilets
I don't know if they were public or private facilities or if he was officially allowed to charge us, maybe they were just rorting us nieve tourists
Hahaha
FollowupID: 831462

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:22

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:22
Alby! I've spent a fair bit of time in Germany in the past and fuel and Road Houses on main Autobahns have someone just sitting downstairs outside the cubicles and they charge you a Euro, sometimes more or less. When you leave the cubicle, they clean it like it was being cleaned for the day. It happens in department stores also, I gave a guy $5 Australian on day as I didn't have any Deutsche Marks on me at the time, he looked at me in amazement! It takes some getting used to to but when you walk into a spotlessly clean and nice smelling toilet, you soon realise its worth it. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 831463

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 06:51

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 06:51
Ah...bad toilets, who can forget them? The highlight of any trip. Australia certainly has a few but the worst ever for me was a roadside stop in the Czech Republic. It was impossible to walk in the door as it seemed like everyone had "missed" every toilet starting at the front entry door. The mens was even worse. On the bright side, they were free. :-)
PS The road sign called it a Pissoir....they got that right!
AnswerID: 544348

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:09

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:09
The problem is - there is not enough public toilets around the country - or even in the cities for that matter.

Gazz

AnswerID: 544354

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:28

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:28
GaZZ! There is a public toilet SmartPhone App, assuming you have phone coverage but I found it shows all public toilets and a lot of them are on local sports fields and when the fields are not in use, the toilets are locked. So you can spend time driving around aimlessly looking for an unlocked toilet. Its no wonder people use what's available! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 831464

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:10

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:10
Any building with the word public in it can be used for going too, except public schools. These following can be accessed, hospitals, council buildings, parks & gardens, libraries, bus stops/terminals, railway stations, medical clinics, Bunnings, Masters,

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831515

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:28

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:28
Outback the last couple you mentioned are private establishments, the way you have worded it it sounds like you have a right to use them when really they are being provided for their customers use and would be well within their rights to refuse use should they see fit. I know in reality it would not happen from a PR point of view.
I think you will also find that the word public is most likely not even there, we have gone to using universal symbols rather than teaching our migrants to understand our language but that is another story
FollowupID: 831518

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:26

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:26
thanks for the feed back and yes there are some rippers of pit toilets in the outback

have a good week end people
AnswerID: 544355

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:53

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:53
Ah, the joys of towing a van with your own toilet - always clean, just the way you like it ;=))
AnswerID: 544357

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:57

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:57
x2.

During our recent "trip around the block" we found many that were well maintained in road houses and various public toilets. Others I would not let my dog go in. Certainly made having our own a blessing.
Kinda makes you wonder what sort of impression these less than sanitary facilities leave with our overseas visitors.
Maybe I should clarify that with "countries that do present a nice clean public convenience".
Don't mind spending a penny, so to speak, to have somewhere reasonable to use.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 831467

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:23

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:23
Doesnt need to be a public toilet to be bad. At a certain van park near some springs we booked an ensuite site . Floor was wet when we arrived. Used the loo and it all came up and out onto the floor (in lumps).

The office wasnt interested and refused to do anything at all. Had to tidy up ourselves. Shame about the family next door that were in a tent and all the effluent had flowed onto their site.
AnswerID: 544360

Reply By: Scotts Paj - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:33

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:33
I work in a service station and have worked in roadhouses up north. Sorry, but anyone who says there is no excuse for a servo not to have 'nice' toilets is dillusional!
Truckies have by far (almost without exception) the most respect for helping to maintain the cleanliness of our toilets. You could have the dirtiest looking bloke in a truck and he will often thank you for having a clean toilet. Then they'll buy something out of respect. At the other end of the scale is the backpacker (obviously not all) who may be the cleanest looking person you'd meet and will leave the toilets in an absolute mess!! I've seen backpackers have a COMPLETE shower in a hand basin! And they will mostly never buy a thing! It's not as bad where I am in Victoria, but up north it was really a losing battle, the tourists just don't care (as mentioned, not all)!
AnswerID: 544368

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:40

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:40
Cleanliness starts with the person using it...

And yes, the cry might go out that we are all clean in our habits, so who makes this mess? I suspect the "my fart doesn't smell brigade"...

Hey, good weekend to all, Baz - The Landy!
AnswerID: 544370

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:48

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:48
Someone has to say it so I guess it may as well be me. After paying to use the loo around Europe and having experienced a rare experience in Florence where the public loo was 2 Euro (at the time it was close enough to $4) it was not good value by any stretch of the imagination. It was a rare ceramic squat toilet and the lady at the door gave me several sheets of toilet paper (was she kidding) and then actually going was a feat of exquisite balance and solving what to do with dangling trousers, when the flusher is a hose that had been liberally applied by the previous occupant.

Anyway, we would never need to discuss Nissan Vs. Land cruisers, Weaco Vs. Engels ever again if we had that experience here whilst travelling. There would be an uproar like never experienced here before.

I say Nay! Happy to buy and pee.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 544371

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 15:53

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 15:53
I have had quite a few nasty toilets in my time - aminly overseas (Asia). One memorable one was a train in Japan. No the Shinkausen, but an inter-city one. It was a 3 hour trip, and eventually I had to go. The urinal was in the centre of one wall of a room about 2.5 m square. The carriage was lurching around badly, and there was urine splashed on the wall - up to 1.2 m high, and over the whole of that wall. That surprised me, because everything else in Japan was spotlessly clean and tidy.

Conversely, at a KFC outlet in Jakarta, they had toilets (clean as) and outside the Kamar Kecil (toilet), they had a bench with 5 wash basins, each with liquid soap, but from memory, no hand towels. All spotlessly clean. We could do with that sort of setup here. Singapore public toilets charged a small fee, but those toilets were hygenically spotless.
AnswerID: 544376

Follow Up By: Graeme - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:42

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:42
Everywhere I have been in Indonesia the toilets have been spotless in the airports and shopping centres; that has been Jakarta and quite a few provincial cities too.
I have also worked in India and the easiest way to find a toilet is to follow your nose and you will find it every time. The exception was the other night at Delhi T3 at IGA the toilets were quite clean and it surprised me.
FollowupID: 831483

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 16:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 16:18
Just thinking about bad toilets, just about any Chinese Restaurant in your town or suburb are usually disgusting. Even China town in Sydney, its hard to find clean modern toilets even in the most expensive restaurants. Its generally the only thing that lets them down! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 544377

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 20:07

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 20:07
Spot on Michael !

Most of the Chinese Restaurants I have been to around the country almost pull my Rossi work boots off my feet when I walk across the the toilet floor tiles coz they're so filthy and sticky ! Imagine what the kitchens are like ???

Will be interesting to see what they are like in China when I go there later this year to visit a mate who lives there ?

Happy and safe travelling

Gazz

FollowupID: 831498

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:16

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:16
Gazz, the dunnies in China will be the same as you've experienced here. Disgusting and mostly a slit in the floor. I constantly lived in fear of dropping a grogan into my jeans.

You will also have to get used to the constant spitting. Everywhere from onto the hotel lobby floor to the walkway to the aeroplane.

You will very quickly avoid touching bannister rails, toilet door handles, anything that has been touched by others.

One local lady we saw at the Wall talking on her mobile didn't even interrupt her sentence to push one nostril shut and blast the entire contents of her nasal cavity out the other onto the floor.

Other than that, a fabulous trip.....
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832268

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:27

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:27
Thanks for starting this Allein, there's always some choice shirty stories from people's experiences.

Seen many filthy dunnies in my time, but the most odorous would have to be the toilets at the Mt Connor lookout. All those little bugs down "there" were just overwhelmed by the weight of travellers, and their leavings. Really, really stank!!!

One thing I'm bewildered by too, is just where people leave their excrement, and one wonders just what body position they were in to deposit said load. Went to a parking bay out of Longreach, seat was spotless, but the yucky bit was under the seat and to the right, as if the offender had his, or her, orifice at an angle 30 deg different to the rest of us.

With roadhouse toilets, I'm sure the cleaners/staff just get sick of cleaning up after the messy ones, and so leave this task for as long as possible, if someone complains or they are directed to clean up because of such complaints.

Sales of ports-pottis might well rise as others read the stories in this terd..........oh, sorry, thread.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544380

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:35

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:35
Crappy joke Bob, it stinks, might have to log off
FollowupID: 831482

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:58

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:58
Ha ha! Clever follow-up, Alby. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831487

Follow Up By: Slow one - Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 20:04

Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 20:04
Bob,
with the rain you have had, you should have heaps of green stink beetles around to cover the smell of said offending dunnies, at least in your neck of the woods anyway.

I am still amazed how some people excrete large rocks into some of the
state supplied dunnies, guess they have a good Gastroenterologist.

Have found this very prevalent between Longreach and Winton, guess it must have something to do with your water and kidney stones. LOL.

Alby I second the clever follow up.
FollowupID: 832124

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 21:01
Bob, I should have explained a little better. Those rocks I was talking about were real ones and the morons had done there best to destroy the toilets and basins.

Anyway, I guess I should love the retards of this country, as no one else will.
FollowupID: 832300

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:30
No worries, Slow. Judging by the mess some of them are left in, I wouldn't be surprised just what is "down there".

Did met an old fellar, from northern NSW, who was camped at one of the parking bays with some friends. They used to clean the loos up, on the days the Main Roads didn't do a hit ' miss clean.

Stink beetles not real thick at moment. And the flies, while not thick, are SO friendly!!! There's been some good falls about, but just so patchy we're not out of the woods yet. Bit different up on the Barkly.........heard that Alexandria Station has had 18" so far this season.

We'll see what the remainder of the Wet does, eh? Longreach to Barcaldine is real bad, they've had nothing!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832428

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:57

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 17:57
we went to Mildura the other day and we do not stop at half way road house on the Silver city hwy way there is a public pit loo and area that our dogs can get out and strach there legs two

Normally it is ok there but this trip I walked in a there was a swarm of wasps right in the pit its self I backed out very quickly nothing good come out of getting in the way of a bunch of angry wasps

I meet the guy who clean the loos on that road every 2nd day he leaves Mildura and it take all day trip

I was camping at Nanga camp site in WA one long week end and one guy a little worse than wear (drunk as a skunk ) dropped his very expensive watch but no one offered to go get it for him lol there is a leason some where in that one my ex wife said
AnswerID: 544381

Follow Up By: Karen S2 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:50

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:50
allien m, For varied reasons (emergency, complaints, reference etc.) I feel that people should know the correct details in regards to public facilities along this stretch of the Silvercity Highway
Popitah Lakes Rest area is located within unincorporated land and is maintained by R.M.S. ( Roads and Maritime services) N.S.W. Willie is the man who cleans this area and also removes "road-kill" from the north end of Silvercity Highway- He comes from Broken Hill twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays. 7 Tree, Bunnarugee Bridge and Milpara rest areas are within the Wentworth Shire and they are responsible for those areas.
FollowupID: 832565

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:30

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:30
Worst ever for me was in the Freycinet NP in Tasmania, a close second would be Durba Springs on the CSR.

AnswerID: 544383

Reply By: papou - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:01

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:01
Worst toilet stop ive come across was at the Coles Toilets in Katoomba!!!!! Apart from not being cleaned, lackof toilet paper n shyte all over walls it was disgusting!!!.
A very different Katoomba to what I knew as a young man ey. Was the prime of N.S.W.
as for clean toilets???, best ive come across apart from our own lol would have to be at a coffee Club in Vancouver Canada where they even have TV monitors above the urinals incase you get bored whist passing a wee (bit of urine thar is ).
Touring through variouse parts of Europe it wasnt uncommon to pay halfe a Euro for the use , and yes very clean.
AnswerID: 544393

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:36

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:36
Don't go to Widgie :-)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544395

Reply By: Mick T3 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 11:39

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 11:39
People like talking about bleep houses.
AnswerID: 544410

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:45

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:45
Just imaging in Roman time it was a public loo I have seen the rows of loos on concrete no doors all in one room I am not sure if it was both sexes but I just could not image what that was like

they had a totally different way of thinking towards sex from what I have rad basically any thing you can imaging was fair go and they loved a party

the loos must have stunk big time
AnswerID: 544412

Follow Up By: Rickb - Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 19:17

Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 19:17
The roadhouse at Belyando Crossing on the Gregory Development Road in North Queensland charges $2 to use the loo if you don't buy fuel. When I was there about 7 months ago they were charging $2 per liter for diesel. Bit rich but your chose no fuel or loo for about 200 k.
Living the dream one place at a time

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 832120

Follow Up By: Slow one - Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 20:15

Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 20:15
Rick,
Cape River Truck stop would have saved your bacon
FollowupID: 832127

Reply By: Member - robert w (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 18:32

Sunday, Jan 25, 2015 at 18:32
We usually use the Council or town toilets when we travel through a place and when we are out in the scrub well the seat and shovel are just fine. When we stop at a roadhouse it is for fuel or to buy something or for a camping spot for the night then we use their toilets. We often, and dont mind, paying for a shower at a roadhouse because water out there costs money but I would hate to have to pay to use the dunny
AnswerID: 544852

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:56

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:56
So you don't mind paying for a shower cause water costs , what about the toilet paper ?? or the water that flushes the toilet ??
FollowupID: 832248

Follow Up By: Member - robert w (VIC) - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 18:11

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 18:11
jeeze Alloy C/T getting a bit pedantic. Usually it is No1 which doesnt use water (unless a female) if we need No2 we are in the habit of taking our own toilet paper, coz often as not there isnt any. Anyway if we use the roadhouse dunny its because we have stopped there for something and spent money
FollowupID: 832283

Reply By: Ross W7 - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:17

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:17
My 2 cents worth.
I specifically aim this view at outer rural and remote facilties.
Some peoples expectations of superclean public facilities in outlying and outback areas appears rather high, there is a cost to any well used facility and priorities in some areas leaves the public convenience last!
Given the availability of Time, water, dusty/muddy conditions and persons whose state of being disallows using a facilty in a clean and sanitary manner often the staff/owners have a lot more to do than many realise in keeping a facility running.
My experience when working in remote areas was that keeping the generator running ie the freezers cold and stocked, cleaning the filters on the tank water, serving citicentric customers with expectations well outside the resources of staff working long hours 7 days a week in arduous conditions means that its not always going to be Westfield standards.
Remember major shopping centers charge extortionate rents to shop leasors to employ professional cleaners.
The staff often not only run the pumps and shop but clean the Dongas out the back, change the bedding , wash the towels and bedding, dipping the fuel tanks, change the tyres, and make the teas coffees and cooking that travellers expect. Keeping a keen ear out for the UHF to take the Roadtrain 5 miles out food order so he doesn't have to spend more time than neccessary to keep supplies up to the roadhouses and stations who needed everything yesterday!!
No wonder some tired overworked proprietors and staff find it hard to give the beaming Colgate smile when a well dressed nomad with city concepture grumbles because a menu item is unavailable due to delivery being late OR as I experienced a Melboune Range Rover driver complained bitterly when our tyre stock didn't include the low profile 220Kph rated 20 inch tyre he had fitted his new Rangie with, he had two damaged rims and a shredded tyre.....my fault I guess.
Many staff are inexperienced back packers who try their best in conditions well outside their normal experience. Staff turnover is high in some areas.
I certainly agree that a clean dunny is a wonderful thing but it is simply amazing what some people do behind a closed door then furtively leave the mess for overworked staff to deal with.
The cost of pumping a septic system in remote areas is high! Composting toilets are very misunderstood by most in regard to what is allowed down there for proper breakdown. Many people revere the "longdrop" in folklore or poetry, however are too squeamish to use one! There are a lot of alcohol riddled travellers and locals who don't give a rats ***** about the mess they create, let alone the drive offs at the pump forcing some proprieters to have to lock and unlock pumps or switch pumps off between sales.
The best that can be done sometimes is to hit the offending mess with a hose or a water blaster if the water supply is in a good state.
And I would agree with a previous poster that backpackers who are often the mainstay of staff in remote areas can also be the worst offenders, having a shower at the wash basin, washing clothes and undies in the sink leaving the tap running constantly then driving off after filling the van (mostly) with their spare jerry cans and pumping up the saggy tyre with the air run by the fuel consuming 25kva diesel generator that will need replacing soon!
If it appears that I am a bit critical of some coastal/city based travellers then Yup ! GUILTY! no political correctness here, there is quite a gap in the perceptions and expectations between rural/remote and the 88- 90% of Australians who live in by world standards pampered conditions. and have little understanding of the rigours of living and working in less than ideal conditions.
My vehicles all have a plastic bag under the seat containing toilet paper, matches (for burning used paper and a short shovel in the back for burying my waste. my caravan (yes I am semi retired now) and travel does contain a toilet.
I might add that like many other grey nomads I will bag up rubbish left along the way at pull in areas. I do believe that most Nomads are the best travellers in this regard and usually leave an area tidy. Their are a couple of groups who are the worst offenders, those who don't care (ignorant) and the heavy drinkers testified by the huge numbers of alcohol bottles, cans and wine cask bladders strewn up and down highways and the tracks.
I believe it is reasonable to charge to cover the costs of maintaining a reasonably clean facility and know what it is like to clean up other peoples ****!
AnswerID: 544879

Follow Up By: Karen S2 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 03:01

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 03:01
2cents worth? Mate that is a million dollar essay. I don't believe you left anything out.
I think some have lost what this is about. It is in regard to an article in Broken Hill newspaper about roadhouses in that area- not the City or Urban servo.
FollowupID: 832319

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:37
Yeah Karen, I thought it was worth heaps more than 2 cents.

Great post Ross!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832429

Reply By: Karen S2 - Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 19:11

Monday, Jan 26, 2015 at 19:11
Well here at Coombah Roadhouse- one of the roadhouses mentioned in Broken Hill's Barrier Newspaper the problems with customer toilets are varied.
Most customers are polite, understanding ( of rural/remote areas) respectful and considerate. The truckies are true gentlemen & ladies. Its that minority group of scum buckets ( aka oxygen thieves ) who ruin it for everyone. Some of the issues are:

1. The vandals- they smash pans, tear systems of the walls , breaking pipes & toilet roll holders , leave taps running ( this has caused a tank to run dry and 1 pump to blow-up) blocking basins and pans with hand-towel and toilet-paper ,disposable nappies, rubbish and food, graffiti etc. .

2. The "cheap-skate" travellers who dump their port-a-potty cassettes into pans and basins ( this kills the septic system) They are in a hurry - don't want to be caught , so the foul "grey" sewerage is splashed up walls and spilt all over the floors.

3. Because of "customer only" facilities , disgruntle people are verbally abusive . Some urinate and/or defecate on the doorstep /veranda or in the carpark , some climb the fence into the backyard.
They even bring their own toilet paper!

4. Location- this is not the city or suburbia where there is "mains supply" everything. It costs a lot of money to run things and keep them running. If there is a break down with power, that means NO pumps, No water, No toilets. etc. It costs approximately 38 cents to use the loos here. I know that it costs more in other places.

Repairs are very expensive in remote & rural areas (it can cost a days wages just in travelling time for a couple of tradesmen)
Currently the outside toilets are not in use so, the inside toilets are there for customers. So far no vandalism and very little mess but it has upset some. These are not Truckies, travellers or tourists, these people live much closer. Recently the abuse has escalated . Perhaps they are unhappy because they can get caught if they wreck things ? Maybe that is why the public toilets along the Silvercity Highway are being vandalised more often?

There are many posts that outline the difficulties in running a business "outback" .
So, with this knowledge do you think it is fair to open customer toilets to the public for free?
Considering it would be unfair to the genuine customer to increase prices to cover the addition costs - customer only is the best policy.

AnswerID: 544902

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10
HI that was the artificial that started this post

we never use the Coombah Roadhouse we stop at the rest stop just down the road so the dogs can get a walk
FollowupID: 832337

Follow Up By: Karen S2 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 18:23
G'day, allein m,
I have only been here 18mths, done a lot of work to building and grounds. If you go past on a regular basis you no doubt would have noticed. Coombah Roadhouse has had a very bad reputation and it has been difficult trying to erase that stigma. A lot of really nice people come here , a lot have commented on the improvements.
I believe some of the flack and abuse in relation to the toilets stems from disputes with previous owners/managers. I can only hope that eventually all will know what changes have taken place.
FollowupID: 832481

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13
yes my wife mum rolled her car just past there on the way home to Broken Hill few years back

she stopped and asked to put some air in her car tyre the days of tubes the owner refused and they refuse to use the fuel station since then
FollowupID: 832508

Follow Up By: Karen S2 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:17

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:17
allein m , I do hope your mother-in-law was ok. As you mentioned "tubed tyres" it must have been a long time ago, and long before mine time here.

FollowupID: 832563

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:38

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 14:38
yes it was some time ago and they were ok lucky

sadly my wife and her mum have a stubborn streak as long as the Nulibore Hwy and it take a lot of time to change there minds

I have suggested a few time stop buy a drink and got told off

i do hope she cools down it seems you have changed things and i would like to stop and buy a cup of coffee

we shall see one day may be

FollowupID: 832564

Follow Up By: Karen S2 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:02

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:02
alien m, glad to know that they are ok. On the other matter, most of us women are what you men call stubborn. We ( women) see it as having principles. So don't try to push a situation - it could make things worse.
FollowupID: 832566

Reply By: Patricia R - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 23:57

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 23:57
Roadhouse toilets - those purveyors of multi purpose toilet paper - so thin it could replace a broken windscreen, yet with the consistency of coarse grade sandpaper. After several "across the country" trips, we learned to carry three things into these establishments with us - disposable toilet seat covers, pocket sized packs of (soft) tissues, and small bottles of hand sanitiser. These covered most eventualities.
Obviously it costs the proprietors money to install these facilities - it even costs some of them money for cleaning (others don't bother) - so it is fair enough to charge those people who don't make any other contribution, but I think that the purchase of fuel, or even a couple of coffees, should be enough to entitle you to make a donation of another sort!
AnswerID: 544975

Sponsored Links