Where to go?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 12:18
ThreadID: 131510 Views:2238 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are coming up to our next big trip yet are still undecided normally would have it all planned out by now but there's just too much to see which makes deciding where to go difficult so I thought I would ask the expert travellers your thoughts. We have done Simpson Desert, Oodnadatta track,Ayers Rock, Kings canyon, Palm Valley, Chambers Pillar, Cape York.

We will be leaving from Sydney with 2 kids 7 and 10 and have these different trips in mind:

1. Dinosaur trail and including Lawn Hill
2. Kakadu / Litchfield
3. Flinders Ranges / Birdsville track / Cameron Corner

We generally go away for 4wks, any tips, places to see and itinerary help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 13:08

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 13:08
Hi Litbalt,

I think Kakadu / Litchfield is to far for 4 weeks. It will take 6 long days to get there and that will only leave a week at each without doing anything else....

The dinosaur trail including Lawn Hill would be a great trip with plenty to see and do for the kids.

And Flinders Ranges / Birdsville track/ Cameron Corner is great but not a lot for the kids to do....

They are all great places but your time limit will restrict how long you can stay in one spot, (the spot that you can swim, lay around and enjoy)

Hope you have a great time anyway

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595704

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:43

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:43
I reckon Lawn Hill would be good to aim for as the pinnacle of the trip from Sydney.

Head up through Western Qld - Cunnamulla, Windorah, Bedourie, Boulia, Mt Isa, Riversleigh.
Come home through Gregory, Cloncurry, Winton, Longreach and dribble down to Moree and home.
Plenty of camping, history, scenery and Dinosaurs.

Steve
FollowupID: 864452

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 14:02

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 14:02
I've not been to Kakadu, but agree with Andy above regarding 4 weeks isn't adequate time, knowing that from Sydney, 4 weeks is the minimum you need to see the much closer Cape York.
Our kids who were slightly older loved Lawn Hill, Riversleigh fossils. If you head up via Canarvon Gorge, by the time you put that together with a couple of days around Longreach, that's 3 weeks. If you want a bit of more remote camping, Diamantina Lakes west of Longreach, Quilpie Opal fields will get you to 4 weeks. Our kids went swimming at the Lakes on a warm July day.

Flinders Ranges is also fantastic, but anytime from May to Sept will probably be too cold for kids when camping to be enjoyable.

Mark
AnswerID: 595709

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 15:01

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 15:01
My suggestion is Tasmania but probably only if you can go in summer as its often freezing even then. There is just so much to see/do, free camping and easy 4WDing is abundant and all within easy access to conveniences when you need to top up, plus you can mix the trip up with hiking, sightseeing activities such as cave tours, river cruises, etc. Such a varied environment and lots of eco activities - penguins on Bruny Island and those dams are a sight to behold. We spent 3 weeks in Tasmania and did so much - all around the coast plus Cradle Valley etc. Add travel time from Sydney to Devonport on ferry etc it would all fit nicely in a 4 week block.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595716

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 20:49

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 20:49
The ferry no longer goes from Sydney ???? Just got back from Tassie before the fires. It is a magic place.

FollowupID: 864445

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:05

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:05
Yes of course you're right. But Syd/Melb all the same in my terms of reference - these days its all "over east" wink ;)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 864447

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 20:07

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 20:07
East/ West, homes best!
It's all fantastic.
Christine
FollowupID: 864499

Reply By: OBJ - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:38

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:38
Why agonise? You don't need anyone else's opinion. They are all great locations. Go to anyone you like this year, then another one next year, and the remaining one the year after. By then you will have created another list of places to see. You will never get to see it all, even if you had three lifetimes. Just pack up and go. The kids will love it and appreciate it long after you've gone.
AnswerID: 595751

Reply By: Jonty - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:15

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:15
Especially with kids in tow - the Dinosaur Trail is a must see. There is so much to do and see out there. Make your way to Longreach, then to Winton - Age of Dionosaurs, Lark Quarry and some interesting shops in the town. From there you can go to Hughenden and Porcupine Gorge. Next comes Richmond with one of the best Marine Fossill displays anywhere. You can do a free fossill dig or a guided tour with a Paleo. Stay at the Lake Caravan Park, it is beautiful. Form there head to Cloncurry and continue to Burke & Wills Roadhouse, Gregory Downs and onto to Lawn Hill. Stay at Adel's Grove under the trees - just gorgeous. You can hire canoes and go right up the gorge. Good luck with your planning.
Cheers, John
AnswerID: 595759

Sponsored Links