Birdsville to Innaminka

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:15
ThreadID: 29485 Views:2776 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All,

Planning a trip in May this year. Have most things sorted except which way to travel from Birdsville to Innaminka. Will then be continuing on to Cameron Corner and Tibooburra

Do we take the main route down the Strezlecki Track or is there another way?

Anything interesting to look out for on this run?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Rolande
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:28
Rolande it does depend what you want to do and how much time you have. I amhoping to do the Birdsville Track section to Walkers Crossing to innamincka some time but it has been too wet that way the times I have travelled the area.

There are several options - the road down through Cordillo Downs road is often described as rough but I have found rougher roads around. It is a shorter road than heading off further East into Queensland before heading down to Innamincka. The conditions are always variable depending on if there had been recent rains.

I love the area round Innamincka and have said before it seems to have a spiritual feel about it with the ghosts of Burke and Wills party almost present. The Cullyamurra water hole is an oasis in it's own right with bird life and fish it draws people from thousands of kilometres. Coongie Lakes too has it's own persona. You will find Birdsville has it's own personality too as you explore.
AnswerID: 147263

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:40

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:40
G'Day JohnR,

This is part of a three week trip so I was allowing about 2 days to travel from Birdsville.

Aware that plans can always change due to weather. Have a home-home loop planned which can go clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on prevailing weather conditions.

Only two vehicles, no trailers, just trying to make each day interesting, but not wanting to make it Simpson Desert style difficulty

regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400610

Reply By: 120scruiser - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:28

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:28
Either Cordiollo downs or Walkers crossing.
We went through Walkers Crossing. A bit boring but an easy drive.
The turn off south of Birdsville is very easy to miss so get a grid reference and check your GPS constantly, if you have one. We had one and still almost missed it.
You can just pick out the wheel tracks in the rocks.
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 147264

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:36
G'day,

Walker's Crossing looks popular, thanks for the idea

Rolande
FollowupID: 400984

Reply By: slow mower - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:36

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:36
Have a look on map for the Cordillo Road. From Birsville travel the Birdsville Developement Road for about 100km then right turn onto the Cordillo Road for about 300 km down to Innamincka. No idea of the road conditions, would suspect that they might be impassable if/when wet. Looks like your only option other than 'cross country' !!

Good luck
AnswerID: 147269

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:37
G'Day,

May end up deciding when we get in to Birdville.

thanks for the reply

Rolande
FollowupID: 400985

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:06

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:06
We traveled in the reverse direction Last year.

Strez track Merty Merty Station to Cameron Crn, up the Bore track $10 access fee payable to Bollards Lagoon Stn., innimmkka, Walkers Crossing to Birdsville, A few laps of BIG RED (only 40 kms from Birdsville) & down the inside track. All dry when we traveled. Great trip hope you enjoy it. It may be worth checking for the short cut to the dig tree insead of going into Qld& back (but you may have to walk / wade over the cooper as it is closed to vehicles.
AnswerID: 147277

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:37
Thanks for the tip on the dig tree, was trying to work out how to fit it in,

regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400986

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:11

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:11
All of this country has a different spirtual feel for every traveller. It's quite special and what you don't do this trip, do when you next return. Don't forget to wind down the windows and suck in the desert air.
The Working Man's museum in Birdsville is unique and worth at least half a day itself.

After Innaminka, consider travelling the Bore Track down to Bollards lagoon before turning left to Cameron Corner, it's remote but safe.

Enjoy the vast spaces, it's awesome.

AnswerID: 147279

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:13

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:13
Well said, Cocka. Good advice - hope you and P have a wonderful 2006 - plenty of fish! We went fishing Saturday to another new secret hole - beautiful spot - deep hole - no fish. Ha ha.
FollowupID: 400662

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:38
Vast spaces just my thing,

thanks for the reply

Rolande
FollowupID: 400987

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:18

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:18
There are three ways to Innamincka from Birdsville - via Cordillo Downs, Walkers Crossing or further east towards Windorah and down the Queensland side of the SA border, this is known as the Arrabury Road (has rolling downs and flat topped mesas - real cowboy and injun country). I'd be going via Walkers Crossing - very interesting trip - different country. You can do it without using GPS - in fact you can go anywhere in Australia without GPS - got a map - there is a good one available. By the way, the Strezlecki doesn't start until Innamincka and then south from there. Good travelling, see you in May.
AnswerID: 147340

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:40

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:40
G'Day Ruth,

Will certainly be dropping in, probably for two nights. We will talk to you then before making a final decision.

Hows the weather around the third week in May??

Bookings will happen when we have things more settled,

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400988

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:39

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:39
Hi Ruth, been to any progressive dinners lately. I think you should be insisting all groups do one! Hehe.

BTW, it may be secret, but if there's no fish, how can you call it a fishing spot. Happy new year to you both.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 147343

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:03

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:03
Happy trails! No and no and waiting on you lot to come back and do better than the last time. Still got my Menu, still talking about it to anyone who will listen. Can't make people understand it's mandatory to invite us and they must have a progressive dinner.
As for fishing - that's an interesting point. In actual fact it could be called 'ruminating upon one's navel' or, the only time in two hours I did get a fish strike - I was standing on the steep bank holding the fishing rod - peering up into a tree full of budgies and rainbow bee eaters trying to decide if I should climb up and see the bee eaters nest - the fish struck I got such a fright I overbalanced and nearly ended up swimming instead of fishing or birdwatching, jerked the rod badly and the fish spat the yabbie tail and I got nothing. Oh well it was a lovely spot. No, I didn't climb up the tree either. Ha ha ha.
FollowupID: 400728

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:37

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:37
Did that run about a year back - we love it up there - Walkers Crossing run is ok, but I think Cordillo track is better. East out of Birdsville, right onto the Cordillo track. BV to Innamincka is ok in 1 day, with time for a few short stops. You can get yabbies out of the Cadelga waterhole I'm told - maybe a morning tea stop - watch out for the nails glass and wire around the ruined homestead.... tough on tyres for the unwary. Innamincka is great - allow a few days if possible - you can run down the old track all the way to Merty Merty, or run along the new roads and maybe have a look at the Moomba complex - quite impressive from the lookout. IMO, you should have effective long distance comms and plenty of water.......even in the cool part of the year, it can get hot up there, cars do conk out when we'd rather not, and this area has long distances between populated places. Have a good'n.
AnswerID: 147408

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:42
So, don't park too close to Caldega Homestead.

Amazing what tips you can pick up on this site,

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400989

Reply By: Original Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:39
er..... forgot to add.....the opening photo on my site..........
http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian............
is a section of the Cordillo track - lovely red sand that !
AnswerID: 147409

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:47
Nice pics!!

Getting itchy feet already

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400990

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:22

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:22
The route you take will depend entirely on prevailing weather condition at the time.

Ruth & Ian from the Birdsville Caravan Park is the best source of information as to which roads may/may not be accessible when you intend to travel between Birdsville and ANYWHERE.
Twas Ruth that suggested WC as the better access to Innamincka when we were up there and this is the preferred track for "locals" to use between the two "metropolis's".

Walkers Crossing is not only the shorter route and IMHO is anything but boring. So many different changes of surfaces and great outback scenery. This track was one of the highlights of our trip and I would recommend it if it is open at the time you are travelling.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147422

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:35
G'Day Sandman,

Thanks for the reply, will rely on Ruth's expertise on this when we get there,

regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 400983

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:10
Rolande, We'll be out in the same area in May. May come accross each other on the way! Our first trip to the area and we are looking forward to it.
AnswerID: 147670

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:13
G'Day Norm,

Our first big trip also.

Will be a in GU Patrol with a White Defender wagon following, full length rack on the 'Fender

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 401005

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:26

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:26
With any luck you (and others) and I may well cross paths in that area in May. Plenty of good info available from everyone so there should be no difficulties. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 147758

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 00:10

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 00:10
Hi Rolande,
We did the trip in reverse to you in 2001, was nice up near the dog fence between NSW & QLD .
We were towing an off-road trailer & the only problem we had was up on the Cordillo Road with rocks bouncing up off the trailer & chipping back window on GU patrol. Suggest if towing to black out back windows with cardboard & fit stone screens on the trailer. We spent several days at Innaminka camped beside Coopers Creek (S/West of Innaminka) and found it also very pleasant & Relaxing.
happy touring
cheers

AnswerID: 150965

Sponsored Links