Tasmania.....

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:30
ThreadID: 54354 Views:2983 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Tassie for two weeks. The plan is 1 week to get there from Brisbane, 2 weeks in Tassie and 1 week back.
Never been there and last night I was searching for a Itinerary on the net but no luck. I know 2 weeks is not enough but we are still working and can't have more time off. What are the highlights and what are the best places we need to visit.
Thank you
Reiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:54

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:54
Reiner

We spent 3.5 weeks there last January. The following get my vote:

- Jacob's Ladder / Ben Lomond drive
- St Helens - beautiful area, relaxing, fishing
- Pt Arthur / Tasman Pen. - spectacular, history etc
- Cadbury factory tour - kids loved that
- Mt Field / Russell Falls - stunning, great for walking
- Lyell Hwy / World heritage area - numerous places
- Queenstown - one big environmental lesson
- Strahan / Gordon River cruise - spectacular area

Dont worry you only got 2 weeks there, even 3.5 weeks not enough by a long way for us. Just enjoy the time you have!

cheers JD
AnswerID: 286277

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:11

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:11
You must drive up to Mount Wellington, the views are just fantastic
FollowupID: 551363

Follow Up By: julday - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:26

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:26
Hastings Caves are amazing. There is thermal pools in the Reserve as well.
FollowupID: 551367

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:27

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:27
Reiner,

Apologys to JD, Was there in 1980 and again for 5 weeks June/July last year. Everyone has different tastes and interests and it is a great place, but in my opinion do not waste your time and entrance fees on Cadbury. The first time we went in '80 it was great. Last year, dunno, probably OH&S regulations, sorry I have no idea, but seen jac...., fed a coupla small chockies and could not see very little of the prodution process compared to 1980. Forget them.
There is a sawmill (a replica of the old days, with a timber rail track, all working) off the main road coming back from Stanley towards Burnie that is a great to see. Do the McQuarrie harbour cruise and the train trip , both Strahan to Queenstown also.
There is plenty to do, but they now know how to extract $ from your wallet now compared to 1980. Tassie will probably get some more of my dollars inthe not too far future- a great place and people. Cheers Nick
FollowupID: 551554

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:43

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:43
Might I suggest you'd be better off going straight there, 2 days to Melbourne, and spend the extra time in Tassie. I second jdwynn's itinerary as a good starting point. Then you should throw in Cradle Mt and the Lakes district.

If you want to do some serious 4WD stuff then you'll find most of it down the west coast.
AnswerID: 286286

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:37

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:37
I'll second that - why spend a week driving home from Melbourne when it only takes a day - you can spend an extra week in Tassie.

Add a drive up Ben Lomond while you are in the Launceston area. There's nothing much up there, but it's a great drive.
FollowupID: 551402

Reply By: aka - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:55

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:55
A must is HOBART on saturday for the market it is one of the best in Australia
AnswerID: 286288

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:44

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:44
We had been told that too, and drove past on market day, but with the caravan couldn't see anywhere we could park.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 551622

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:55

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:55
We did 2 weeks in April last year.

Basic intinary was:

Launceston couple of days.
St Helens (Bay of Fires)
Coles Bay (Freycinet Nat Park)
Port Arthur
Hobart couple of days (Bruny Island)
Strahan couple of days
Cradle Mountain
Stanley

Then back to Devonport for return trip.
AnswerID: 286289

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:57

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:57
2 Weeks in Tassie last April

Basic itinary was:

Launceston couple of days
St Helens (Bay of Fires)
Coles Bay (Freycinet Nat Park)
Port Arthur
Hobart couple of days (Bruny Island)
Strahan couple of days
Cradle Mountain
Stanley

Devonport and home
AnswerID: 286291

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:58

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:58
Ooops . . . double post , sorry
FollowupID: 551375

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:58

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:58
Reiner what do you want to see & do? Are you looking for remote 4x4 destinations, National Park walks, historical sites, action adventure or touristy destinations? Are you camping, towing or looking for accomodation? 2 weeks is very little time to do justice so is there an area of Tassie you are particually interested in? It may be small but it takes a bit of time to get around.
No doubt you have tickets booked on the boat but as others have said prior shorten your travel time from Brissy down to vic to a few days & spend another wek over there.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 286305

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:14

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:14
Craig, we will be camping and towing a off road Teardrop camper.
First time down there I think best would be to do the tourist thing. We do off road stuff around here and beach.
We are taking two Kayaks and hope to do some paddling in Vic.
Also on board is our 7 month old Rottweiler so we have to leave him in a kennel down there to visit national parks but no plans so far.
Reiner
FollowupID: 551395

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:48

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:48
A possible route could be. Sheffield murals, Cradle Mountain then around to Rosebury. Montezuma Falls & Spray Tunnel at Zeehan. Along the Ocean Beach to Strahan taking the boat cruise out to Sarah Island & up the Gordon River. Around to Queenstown taking in the Bird River track & the train trip. Several nice walks along the road over to Derwent Bridge. Probably wont have time & the dog may be an issue but the drive around to Russel falls then out to Lake Pedder & the impressive Gordon dam is well worth the trip as are the Hastings Caves & the Tahune airwalk to the south.
Into Hobart the market, beer & chocolate tours are always popular as is the lookout from Mt Wellington.
Port Arthur is a must see, Tasman Arch then head north through the middle which has alot of historical buildings to Mt Ben Lemond.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 551397

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:08

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:08
Montezuma Falls & Ring Road (if it hasn't been raining)..
Spray Tunnel..
Stanley-Strahan (spend the $$ & do a Franklin Cruise & possibly railway trip)
Elephant Pass to St Marys (E. Coast)..
Tahune Air Walk

If it's 4WDing- there's a good guide a 4WD tracks- available from ExplorOz..
Also, I think I heard on the radio the other day that the 'Ferry' will be operating out of Sydney again !! I went out of Sydney a couple of years ago, and it was a great trip..
Have a good time
AnswerID: 286306

Reply By: marcus - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 14:33

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 14:33
Reiner,
Whilst down at Hobart you could base yourselves at Barilla Holiday Park which we found to be excellent.It is just out of Richmond which is a must see and can do trips to Port Arthur etc from there.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 286348

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:57

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:57
It is bazaar how different people can have a different reaction to something. We rated Barilla amongst our worst park experiences. We were in the new section of the park with no shade and no grass (all gravel) - yuck - we normally check it out first but arrived tired, late in the day. Hated 'flat' showers where other peoples 'run-off' came into your shower if you were near the drain. Terrible design of urinal in mens toilet meant it mostly stunk..... Also, I'm on computer a bit to stay in touch with work during holidays and mmgt weren't too happy to do a receipt for the small cost - not impressed. Then SWMBO got barked at for getting back to washing machine a minute late or so - that was the end of it. On the flip side I agree Richmond was great and park is also well placed to get to Pt Arthur from Hobart for a day trip.
FollowupID: 551534

Reply By: madfisher - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:11

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:11
Reiner hi ,
We will be down their from the 11th till the 24th, will keep an eye open for you. We will be mainly interested in fly fishing so will be arround the lakes somewhere. We will be in a red se Jack, and camping.
Have a great time Pete
AnswerID: 286377

Reply By: landed eagle - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:20

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:20
I'm a loud and proud Taswegian. It has surprised me to see all the trips that others have done in our great state and none of them have mentioned Wayatinah ,halfway between Hobart and Queenstown. Definitely one of the BEST caravan park experiences in Tas. Hydro lake full of trout and platypus,heated outdoor half olympic swimming pool and tennis court. Powered sites, or for those that are self sufficient there is a footy oval to set up on. Nice and flat.

Amenities are being upgraded next year so can be a bit overworked during really busy periods.

I was there with the family for two weeks during January. Met a couple from Denmark who were on an eight week Aust trip. Hired their van in Adelaide,drove to Melb and floated to Tassie. After just four days here they decided to spend about 6 weeks here to see the place properly. 2 weeks wont even scratch the surface.

Many make the mistake of looking at a map and thinking that Tas is a small place. True....but it can take a long time to go places here.Had many comments from mainlanders aboiut how different the driving conditions are here.

If you are planning to spend time south of Hobart...( Dover,Tahune Air Walk,Hastings caves), etc..I would suggest the Snug Caravan Park as a home base for day trips.

Port Arthur caravan park is central to all the attractions of the area. Has some ensuite sites too ,if you're lucky enough to score one for your stay.

Hope you have a safe trip here.

cheers Landed Eagle
AnswerID: 286427

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:26

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:26
All that way for only 2 weeks in beautiful Tassie, Reiner! You'll have to return again. We spent 7 weeks there and only saw a sample of the sights. I have pictorial trip notes of the best of what we saw available by email, so if these would help you choose what you want to see the most, member msg me your email address.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 286428

Follow Up By: Member - Peter L (VIC) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:17

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:17
Reiner, Have to endorse Motherhen: we have been going to tassie regularly for the last 20 years or so (wife's family are taswegian -did I mention the extended family??) and keep discovering fantastic new places every trip. Can I add a couple of ideas for you:
1. If you are in the vicinity of St Helens check out the camping areas between Binalong Bay and The Gardens in the Bay of Fires - lots of great camping areas, great beaches with the most pristine blue water - great fishing and kayaking although a bit cold for me to swim
2. Must do the Cradle Mountain climb - nice day walk and fantastic views. Remember to take sheepskin coats and thermals for Summer - we have been snowed out of the place in February!!!
3. the mussel/oyster farm on the road into Coles Bay/Freycinet - great lunch stop as they will do an enormous bowl of the freshest and most delicious cooked mussels (cheap).
4. For "touristy" activities particularly with kids - could do a lot worse that the Huon River jet boats (demented drivers, great thrills) and the Ida Bay railway south of Southport: former logging track and go for miles in open carriages through the bush.

Could go on for a few pages but I think that you already have a great list - just plan to return.

Have a great trip,
Peter
FollowupID: 551609

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 09:23

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 09:23
This is what I love most about this group, look what I got on info, that alone is worth the membership fee for a year.
I thank everybody here for the replies and I have printed it all out and use it on the trip.If you see a white Nissan ute with two kayaks on top and a teardrop camper behind that is us. 4 weeks out there, only one more sleep :-))
Thanks again to all and will report when we get back.
cheers
Reiner and Sam
AnswerID: 286505

Sponsored Links