Itenerary query. Victoria to Cameron Corner, Winton & Back

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:02
ThreadID: 68797 Views:2934 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Working on a trip itinerary for June. Wondering what you think. I've got about 4 weeks and don't want it to be rushed but what I was thinking was as follows:

Head from Lakes straight to Broken Hill - figuring 2 days travel to get there. DVD's for the kids & smoke up some miles.

Broken Hill
Cameron Corner
(suggestions for route?)
Innamincka
Haddon Corner - (? Side trip into Cordillo Downs)

?Birdsville & up to Dimantina Lakes
OR
Across to Windorah

Winton via Lark Quarry for the Dino foot prints

Longreach

Head back to Vic - route dependent on time available. Either straight back or head over closer to the coast.

I don't need too long in Broken Hill, just need to catch up with a few people. Did most of that last time.

I reckon we need a few days each around Winton & Longreach and by then Lynne will be sick of overnight stop/setup/packup's so probably 2-4 days each there depending on if we stop at the Dino foot prints on the way or travel back out there from Winton.

What sort of time do you reckon the above will take allowing for having a look around in spots?

I reckon we'll need a good few days to get back from Longreach.

Any thoughts or suggestions? (Bearing in mind we'll be travelling solo (with good communications) & towing the off road camper).

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:23

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:23
Gday Dave, carnt help much with times as I havent been there yet.....but we leave Tassie on June 5 and head on up that way.We head to Mungo, Kinchega before Broken hill and up to Camerons Croner, Innamincka, Birdsville and the like.May see you around.We have three months to do as we please so will be poking about for a while.
AnswerID: 364733

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:05

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:05
Hi Nick,

I reckon we'll be in some of the same areas at the same time. We leave Lakes about a week later but you'll be slower getting to Broken Hill than us.

Mungo is great spot. The main campground is good but the one half way round the loop track isn't bad either.

We didn't camp much at Kinchega or the Darling when we were up there as the Darling was a horrible green gutter at the time. We stayed longer in Broken Hill and after a week there still had stuff we will do in this trip to catch up on.

We'll be in a white GU (in rig pick) with EO Spare cover on the back, towing a Kanga Off Road Camper.

Might see you on the track...

Dave
FollowupID: 632380

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:10

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:10
Will keep an eye out for you, our rig is a 100 Series(with exploroz wheel cover too) towing Tambo Cooper trailer(with exploroz wheel cover lol) channel 19UHF.
If we miss each other, have a good trip.
FollowupID: 632383

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 23:19

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 23:19
You can get from Mildura to Broken Hill, easily in 3 hours if you travel the Silver City Highway. There is a good caravan park a Wentworth. Also a good rest area at Lake Popiltah, about half way, with a loo and plenty of room.

If you follow the river, the road is sealed to Pooncarie, but after that its pretty well unformed to Menindee and if there is any rain it will be closed. There is a caravan park at Pooncarie, but I can't report on it.

Menindee has plenty of places to camp around the top of the lakes. Go to the Info. Centre & get directions.

A place worth staying at is Silverton. It has powered sites, or unpowered, and you can bush camp there. Small fee. It's an interesting place & a lot quiter than BHQ.

Four hours will get you to Tib. you need to use the S.C.H. as the track along the dog fence is closed to all traffic (it's private). Tib. has fuel & a c/park or else you can go to Sturt N.P. National Parks NSW have an office in Tib. Call in there it well worth a look.

From there to Cameron's Corner the road is not really good, stony in a lot of places. You can camp there, and there is a store on the Qld. side. It will probably take you two days to get to Winton from there. Half a day to L/reach. Going home - Longreach - Cunnamulla 1 day - Cunnumulla - Cobar 1 day - Cobar - Tocumwal 1 days - Toc -??. Pretty conservative estimates at my speed and buggering about.

Hope this helps.

Dick

AnswerID: 364751

Reply By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:21

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:21
Can't help you with the timing on your trip Dave; it will be a long one though. However the caches you'll do should be great. We're doing Brisbane, Broken Hill, Coober Pedy, Chambers Pillar, Mt.Dare, Simpson, Birdsville, Camerons and the Cooper end May early June. State of Mind (GCQ24Y) looks interesting and the Cooper Creek ones should be fun.

Have a great trip

Paul (AKA Nosugrefs)
AnswerID: 364763

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:48

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:48
G'day again Dave............I reckon you have enough time to do it with 'quality'. How about..........up to Innamincka via Cameron's and Broken Hill is straight forward - 3 nights at Innamincka would allow you to get a good 'taste' of that locality - the hop to BV can be done in a day via Cordillo (some would take 2, to add comfort) - 3 nights at BV would allow a 'taste' there too - up the Diamantina to Winton seems good (I've not done that leg yet) -Lark Quarry is a must IMV (amazing) - 2/3 nights at Winton might suffice for this trip (but we loved it there) - Longreach is a serious town and the Qantas Museum and S Hall of Fame are well worth the visit. We looped back to Adelaide via Isisford (banks of the 'old Barcoo'), Stonehenge (nothing there), Jundah ('pokey' town) on the banks of the mighty Thompson, Windorah (not so pokey :-o) .....loved it), down past Arrabury and into Innamincka through the back door.
The other way south from Longreach (our route going up that way) being Charleville, Cunnamulla and Bourke was ok, but not highly interesting for us......... BTW - that whole region around Winton was once under the sea - a lot of small 90M yo fossils can be found by the roadsides in some places (we did) - a bit of fun - the ranger at Lark Quarry gave us some tips on where to look.
Places east like Hughenden and Richmond etc have staff in tourist offices with similar advice. Have a good 'un...... what a top region up there !

AnswerID: 364785

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 22:27

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 22:27
Hi Darian,

Long time no chat. Just finished the mount for the autotune for the GU! Just need to sort out the antenna earthing. One of many little jobs to do before the trip.

Thanks for the advice. I'll PM you and if it's okay with you and I send you my email I might get your phone number to give you a bell.

Dave
FollowupID: 632584

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 08:58

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 08:58
Yep - any time, re contact.
FollowupID: 632618

Reply By: Stinz - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:27

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:27
Form Longreach, go home via Charleville (stay at the Evening Star - a farm about 8ks out of town to the north west), then 38k short of Cunamulla there is a farm called Nardoo - a great stop for the weary driver with a super natural hot spa. Go via Lightning Ridge (stay at the farm out near the airport - can't recall the name), then onto the Newell Highway home. A couple of days at each is ideal, but also good for a quick stop without the hassle of busy van parks.
AnswerID: 364796

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 22:28

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 22:28
Thats handy. Thanks

Dave
FollowupID: 632585

Sponsored Links