Travelling North

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:43
ThreadID: 91134 Views:2347 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, I will be travelling north this winter again but solo as she who must be obeyed will be working. Not sure yet, but from the Murray River plan to go up the west of NSW and Qld towards the gulf, then it will be a toss up as to right or left.

Last winter wifey and I went up the Oodnadatta track and on to Darwin then across to the west via the GRR and back via the Nullarbor.

Any suggestions would be welcomed on areas to travel etc. Have 4wd and camper.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 18:17

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 18:17
maybe my trip report i did from our trip to Darwin this year will give you some ideas of places to visit.... http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=121720
cheers
AnswerID: 474588

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 19:44
Rumpig - that is a bl.......y good report on your northern trip. Good reading & I would like to download & copy t& print out the text only but as you say picture rich. Is there any way I can just print out the text to work through a route for myself? Thanks.
Camperman 2
FollowupID: 749539

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:20
ok get your map out....lol...basically we went....
Brisbane to Gympie up the hwy to sister inlaws place (you could stay at Galstonbury camp ground down the road from there though if it suites). the road through Glastonbury to Wide Bay Hwy - Kilkivan - Tansey - Ban Ban Springs - Gayndah up the Burnett Hwy to Monto - Biloela - then ened up at Dululu for the night.
from there we drove the 26 klms to join the Capricorn hwy where we ended up in Longreach, then up through Winton contiuning along Lansbury Hwy to McKinlay where we turned off the hwy onto a dirt road to Julia Creek.
Julia Creek up the developmental Rd to Burke and Wills Roadhouse and onto Normanton
Normanton across to Burketown before turning South down to Lawn Hill Nat. Park / Adels Grove
from Adels Grove we went along the Savanah Way to Kingfisher Camp and then ended up rejoining the main hwy from Burketown to Booroloola between Domadgee and Hells gate Roadhouse. through to Boorollola then about 20 klms down the bitumin of Carpentaria Hwy before continuing along savanah Way to Lorella Springs homestead.
from Lorella Springs North towards Limmen Bight fishing camp (we didn't go there) onto St. Vidgeons ruins and then Roper Bar.
Roper Bar across to Mataranka then up to Katherine and into katherine Gorge, up to Litchfield Nat. Park and then Darwin.
left Darwin and went through Humpty Doo and did jumping croc thing on Adelaide river near Fogg Dam and then onto Shady Camp.
Shady camp onto Kakadu then exited Kakadu down to Pine Creek continuing South to Daly Waters.
South from Daly Waters to Tenant Creek and onto Devils Marbles.
original plan was then to continue Soth towards Alice Springs where we would turn off before reaching there onto the Plenty Hwy. across the Plenty to Boulia where we were thinking of going down the Birdsville track and then onto home back in Brisbane.
due to fires and vehicle problems we ended up going home via Three Ways and along Barkly Hwy to Mt. Isa - Cloncurry - Winton - Longreach - Emerald - Springsure - Rolleston - Moura - Boulia - Monto - Eidsvold - Cracow.
from Cracow we just went back to Eidsvold - Gayndah - Gympie and home again.

hope that is what you were after.
cheers
FollowupID: 749572

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:18

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:18
Thanks Rumpig, that was a good summary. I have now been able to work through the original posting & delete photos etc so that I now have a detailed but shorter version of the full story from which I can work to add my own notes for trip planning. Appreciated.
FollowupID: 749603

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:54
Rum Pig excellent presentation, thanks.

I've copied it and sent it to my friend in the U.S. so that she'll get an idea of what she will see.

Hope you don't mind.
FollowupID: 749607

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:18

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:18
not a problem Richard...i wouldn't have put it on the net if i was worried who would see it.
cheers
FollowupID: 749639

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:09
On the way up the NSW west call in at Mootaswinjti NP. Then on to Lightning Ridge to Tibooburra and over to Camerons Corner through Sturt NP. Then to Innamincka, Birdsville and Boulia and then Mt Isa.

From there you could swing west or continue north through to Lawn Hill, Kingfisher Camp, Burketown and on to Normanton and Karumba. Here you coul;d travel further east to Cairns and drop into the Daintree or head back home via Julia Creek, Longreach and Winton.

It's a bit hard to say for sure when we do not know the start and end points.

I hope this helps.

Phil
AnswerID: 474620

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 05:51

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 05:51
Start and end is Wodonga.
FollowupID: 749584

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:35
I'll be leave BHQ towards the end of May, heading to the Mid-Nth Coast of NSW for family reasons, then going north to Rocky.

As usual I'll be towing a off-road type van.

I've usually made a point of keeping off the Qld. coast, but this time I'll have a U.S. lady friend accompanying me & she wants to see some of the coast. What is the situation with roadside rest areas on the Bruce Hwy. north of say Nambour?

After Rockhampton I've got no problems as I've travelled north several times, and I'll wind up in Mataranka. I intend to go from Rocky to Mt. Isa, then head up to Kurumba, then go west to the Loo, & Roper Bar. I've thought about stopping at Lorella Springs, can anyone here shed a bit of light on that place? Such as cost, facilities and access.

Also, what's the bush camping like between Normanton & Borroloola?

A couple of years ago we went up through Cobar, Bourke Charleville to Barcaldine & then to Hughenden. The road was sealed as far as Aramac, but from then to Hughenden it was unformed, but O.K.

We stayed at Aramac for two nights, at that time the little caravan park was a 'freebie', but very limited facilities. From there on we bush camped.

Also has anyone any information about Clem Walton Dam (between Cloncurry & Mt. Isa). Last year it was full of water, and campers. I'd recommend a stay-over there whisky_mac if you're going that way. But there's no facilities.

Give the road that follows the Darling River a burl. There are plenty of places to camp and usually the road is O.K. It's a toss-up whether to use the eastern or the western side. They are both pretty well the same, though we prefer the east as about 50 km north of Wilcannia there's a national park and you could camp there right on the river, a year ago.
AnswerID: 474651

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:31
Re: roadside rest stop North of Nambour.... i assume your looking for somewhere to stop for the night and not just have lunch at?
there is one just as you come into Gympie on the lefthand side heading North. seems to be quite popular judging by all the vehicles i regularly see there when i am visiting the inlaws in Gympie.
FollowupID: 749640

Sponsored Links